Anzhi Makhachkala (Russia) - Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I get why European games aren't played in Dagestan (sp), but they don't have any more suitable grounds closer to their area than Moscow? I mean, good for us that we don't travel as far obviously. But its like us playing our European games somewhere in Eastern Europe ffs!

Probably more about the players wanting to live/train in a large, relatively cosmopolitan city such as Moscow. Particularly given that in the recent past they were trying to attract talent from the top european leagues.

Probably more about the players wanting to live/train in a large, relatively cosmopolitan city such as Moscow. Particularly given that in the recent past they were trying to attract talent from the top european leagues.
Yeah I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Anzhi team all live in Moscow, train there and just fly out to Makhachkala for matches!

Russian Premier League is in this moment probably the best league from Eastern Europe ,considering what huge investments has been done in Russia...top teams like Zenith Sankt Petersburg,TSKA Moscow,Lokomotiv Moscow,Anzhi was for a short time 2011-2013,no.1 rich club from Russia,Kuban Krasnodar etc,many players having top salaries that even in western Europe just dreaming to have such salaries...
after them ,on top is Ukrainian league also very good (Shakhtar Donetsk-always with his presence in Champions League,Dynamo Kiev,Metallist Kharkov,Dnepr Dnepropetrovsk,Chernomorets Odessa -top teams from this country),then Turkish League (losing some power in East after their 2 years ban in Europe (Fenerbahce and Besiktas,corruption,arranging matches) just Galatasaray Istanbul play and represent Turkey in Champions League...then,probably is the Greek league,but their country being in economic crisis,Olympiakos play in Champions League,the 5th league from East i think is the league from my country,Romania,maybe you heard about Steaua Bucharest (ex-team of Vlad Chiriches) or CFR Cluj,Steaua playing in Champions League this season...so,here is the TOP 5 in Eastern Europe,first domestic leagues, in my opinion:
1)-Russia
2)-Ukraine
3)-Turkey
4) -Greece
5)-Romania

Last edited:
Hope Sandro gets a full 90. Love watching that guy play but really can't see him getting ahead of Paulie or Dembale for the prem games.

I can't see him getting ahead of them two for this coming game. I expect Sandro will be more of a regular in the "first XI" than either Paulinho or Dembele.

I don't want to see Rose in this, even if he is available. No point putting him out there on what someone said could be a questionable surface and in a cold environment. We need him, don't even attempt it. Same thing can be said for Lennon. Anything on Lennon? I thought he was out for like a game, and I haven't heard/seen anything about him.

I get what you are saying ... but, I think it's a huge possibility that Rose may start this EL game.

On Sunday we play Wet Spam...
AVB likes playing a tall defensive line against such teams. So maybe he'll bring Kaboom for Rose, which means Rose might play the EL game instead.

--------------------- Lloris

Naughton - Kaboul - Chiriches - Fryers

------------- Paulinho - Sandro

Lamela ---------- Holtby ------------ Chadli

--------------------- Defoe

Would like to see Lennon get a run out too if it isnt too soon

I get what you are saying ... but, I think it's a huge possibility that Rose may start this EL game.

On Sunday we play Wet Spam...
AVB likes playing a tall defensive line against such teams. So maybe he'll bring Kaboom for Rose, which means Rose might play the EL game instead.

Yeah Vertonghen started both of our games last year against West Ham at LB along with Caulker and Dawson to mitigate their long ball play.

Does anyone know if Azza will be in training this week?

AVB said last week he was hoping he would train last Friday and I know Sky reported he failed a late fitness test the morning of the Chelsea game. So presumably he will be training this week.

I wonder if Ade is fit enough (both physically and mentally) to get a run-out? With all these new AMs I still think he could be a really important player for us, *if* he gets his house in order.

Soldado to start this

Defoe to start against Wet Spam

Don't get me wrong, I think Defoe deserves more time in the league than he is getting (could have had a few more minutes against Chelsea), but he still hasn't done enough to deserve an automatic start next weekend ahead of Soldado in my opinion. Don't forget that the only time Soldado has played against weaker opposition this season he has also impressed and scored 2 goals (Tbilisi away).

What happens if Soldado starts and scores 2 again on Thursday like Defoe has been doing as well - does Soldado still deserve to be dropped against West Ham? As it stands, we're 3rd in the league when Soldado has been starting, and Soldado got an assist against Chelsea at the weekend. Defoe was injured at the start of the Premier League season. The moment that Defoe comes on and wins us a Premier League match is the moment he can automatically start the next weekend. But till then, if it ain't broke...

Should win this comfortably. Hope AVB rests Vertonghen for this match. Played both games against Villa and Chelsea.

Would like to see this team...

Lloris
Naughton Vlad Dawson (Kaboul if fit) Fryers

Sandro Holtby
Lamela Kane Chadli
Defoe

I've got a feeling Ade might play a part!!! Kane as back-up...

Whilst Defoe may also travel, I reckon him & Soldier Boy will be saved for the weekend...

The match will be played at Lokomotiv Stadium in Moscow. Unfortunately with a lot of construction going on with football stadiums in Moscow, the pitch at Lokomotiv is being very heavily used and combined with the Russian fall weather means the natural grass pitch might be in very poor shape.

Lokomotiv is a very nice modern stadium, which seats just over 30,000. I expect that any fans there will be neutrals, as very few Anzhi fans will be making the 1.800km trip from Makhachkala to Moscow for the match (for comparison, it's 2.400km from London to Moscow).

Lokomotiv_Stadium.jpg
Not quite. Actually - the game will be played at the Saturn Stadium

Home to FC Saturn Moscow, it holds 16,500 and was built in 1999.

stadiumsaturn.jpg

4064_ori_saturn_stadium.jpg

Back
Top Bottom