Ashley Phillips

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You see Phillips has run past you, out of defence, and you fanny about with it, there, and lose it.

Thick.

Like the surge out, by phillips, tho.

He'll be on loan all next season, tho, imo.

Lots to learn, still.
A great prospect, but those calling for him to be played earlier in the season need to see this. He will hopefully be a great player, but he’s not ready for the Prem yet.

3-1 Leeds. Game over. The kid brings the ball out from defense, passes it to a teammate in the middle of the park but to be honest that's no gift...Leeds intercept, counter and score.

The lad's made some decent blocks and clearances, played a few nice passes, obviously got that assist...but ultimately he's involved in the 3 goals his team's conceded, being directly responsible for the first two.
Leeds didn't intercept the pass, they dispossesed his teammate who hung on to the ball for two long. Saying he's responsible for the first goal is harsh, it's just a well taken goal by Gnonto.

Only 18.

Not many teenage centre back ever play top flight football at that time in their development, let alone for a club like Spurs. He'll grow stronger from games like today, he's having a good loan so far and Plymouth fans seem more than happy with him.

Another loan next season to a Championship side, get more and more minutes under his belt and then reassess again

Leeds didn't intercept the pass, they dispossesed his teammate who hung on to the ball for two long. Saying he's responsible for the first goal is harsh, it's just a well taken goal by Gnonto.
Yes, won the ball back. It's real late where I'm at, apologies if semantics are a tad off. Teammate gotta do better, but the pass was no gift either...just my opinion.

Gnonto and Summerville do great, yes, but he's gotta be more aggressive and close them down. He didn't, he stood off them. Again, just my opinion.

People are being harsh on him. He was fine for the first 90 minutes vs the second best team in the Championship, things starting to go awry in extra time when he was obviously knackered. Next season he's either going to a strong Championship team, or to a weak PL team.

People are being harsh on him. He was fine for the first 90 minutes vs the second best team in the Championship, things starting to go awry in extra time when he was obviously knackered. Next season he's either going to a strong Championship team, or to a weak PL team.

Not sure he's ready for PL.

Even the likes of Guehi, Colwill, Tomori etc had Championship loans in their teens, some even in their 20s before even touching top flight football and they are all full internationals.

Unless there's a calling for it, I forsee his future as Championship loans until he's at least 21/22 before a lower Premier League team feel like perhaps taking a gamble and I think that's a good trajectory for him

He thought gnonto was gonna ride the direction of the ball and hit it with his left.

Shifted his weight the wrong way.

Once you commit like that - even that minor movement - you make it easier for the attacker, who just needs half a yard.

Needed to be sharper on his toes and live in the moment - eyes on the ball, reflex-ready, set to block.

Liked that he didn't dive in, tho, as that must have been tempting.

Looks reasonable cool under pressure.

Got a lot going for him.

Hopefully PA extend his loan for next season.

I'm not sure why they need to keep making this repetitive point. And talking the kid down, what they seem entirely to be overlooking is the fact that my reading of the posters who wanted him played wasn't that he was some god, but an indictment of Eric Dier. Post the Wolves game people would have played Fraser Forster over him. This kid is a young Centerback like Dorrington with loads of potential. We are future proofing and it's great

Really solid performance from him, much better distribution as well from the last game I've watched with him (vs Leeds).
Subbed off on 77 when score was 2-1.
Injured?
Supposedly he was limping. Either that or he has his minutes managed after looking positively exhausted playing ET in the FA cup a week ago.

He does seem to have the odd mistake in him though (mind you, the o.g yesterday was hardly his fault!)
... he seems to throw himself in the way of the ball a lot, which is fine when it works, but it does also leave him open to occasional freak deflections and giving away handballs....

At least he can iron any of that out of his system while on loan, and come back more like the finished article!

If Vlahaovic is the real deal as well, we're gonna have 4 exceptional CDs on our books before too long.... And that's not even taking Dorrington into account!

Hopefully it means the days of seeing Royal, Dier or Davies 'fill in' at CB are a thing of the past....

He does seem to have the odd mistake in him though (mind you, the o.g yesterday was hardly his fault!)
... he seems to throw himself in the way of the ball a lot, which is fine when it works, but it does also leave him open to occasional freak deflections and giving away handballs....

At least he can iron any of that out of his system while on loan, and come back more like the finished article!

If Vlahaovic is the real deal as well, we're gonna have 4 exceptional CDs on our books before too long.... And that's not even taking Dorrington into account!

Hopefully it means the days of seeing Royal, Dier or Davies 'fill in' at CB are a thing of the past....
Odd mistake you say ? He’s gonna fit right in at spurs,apart from a few,we’ve not been blessed with the greatest centre backs over the years. 🤣

Jokes aside, he’s obviously still very raw but looks promising let’s hope he makes the grade.Same applies to dortinrgton although I’ve not really seen him play for the youth team.

Back
Top Bottom