Ashley Phillips

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a bunch of grown men admiring the physique of an 18 year old lad...

images

My neighbour is a Burnley fan, who (having seen Phillips up close last season) reckons he's the real deal...

Says he has shades of Kompany about him (but I guess he would, being a Burnley fan!!) But still can't speak highly enough of him...

and that must've hurt, Phillips being Blackburn 'n'all...
..so I'm taking his word for it...

I think he's the real deal!
Phillips didn't play against Burnley last season, presumably went to see Blackburn play somebody else?

To be fair, we've bought a few young players in recent years who then seemed to get minimal game time and we ended up derailing their careers.

At least this side of Christmas, knowing we'll only be playing one game a week, I don't mind us giving Phillips the responsibility to fill in as CB backup if required. Ange is the one watching him in training so if he thinks he's good enough, I'll trust him.

To be fair, we've bought a few young players in recent years who then seemed to get minimal game time and we ended up derailing their careers.

At least this side of Christmas, knowing we'll only be playing one game a week, I don't mind us giving Phillips the responsibility to fill in as CB backup if required. Ange is the one watching him in training so if he thinks he's good enough, I'll trust him.
Jack Clarke was the only PL quality footballer we bought in 2019, for example

Mourinho gave Tanganga his debut against Liverpool, a game in which he showed impressive defensive ability but for one crucual moment. We could have won that game if Lo Celso took his chance.

Nuno gave Skipp the starting spot in the league opener against City amidst the Kane saga. He impressed and we won. He was one of Nuno's most important players.

We've just got to take a little chance from time to time with young players. In proper games too, not a cup game where basically the entire team has been rotated and no one is up for it.

If Dorrington or Phillips is another Tanganga, that's unfortunate, but we can ship him out for £6m - £10m and put it towards another player.

Phillips didn't play against Burnley last season, presumably went to see Blackburn play somebody else?
I think it's a Lancashire thing... they seem to know a lot about eachother by the sound of it...

He seemed to be quite well versed in his ability anyway...

I dunno, maybe he has a Blackburn supporting friend and went with them... I don't follow him on TwiXter!!

...but thanks for researching it!

I hope he's great and he might well be but you dont see many 18 yr old centre backs playing top level football. Ledley played 1 game at 18 in midfield and stayed in that position until around 21 before moving back. Ferdinand and Terry were 19/20 before playing semi regulaly at centre back.

I just wouldnt want him to get destroyed and ruin his confidence and development so its a real balancing act. The odd game against cannon fodder at home probably ok, Woolwich and Liverpool not so much.

I hope he's great and he might well be but you dont see many 18 yr old centre backs playing top level football. Ledley played 1 game at 18 in midfield and stayed in that position until around 21 before moving back. Ferdinand and Terry were 19/20 before playing semi regulaly at centre back.

I just wouldnt want him to get destroyed and ruin his confidence and development so its a real balancing act. The odd game against cannon fodder at home probably ok, Woolwich and Liverpool not so much.

I don't think anybody is insisting on him being a starter. I think it's more about being that backup spot.

With most people hoping more than anything he'll be coming off the bench in place of Dier.

Antonio silva

I agree it's a big risk. So I hope we don't quite throw him in at the deep end. Hopefully we'll have a big score against Sheff Utd (say a 3 goal lead), and then give him 10 mins at the end.

Do this a couple of times where possible to prepare him for an eventual start should that be required.

Though again, players have sometimes been thrown into the deep end and managed to up their game.

I think it's a Lancashire thing... they seem to know a lot about eachother by the sound of it...

He seemed to be quite well versed in his ability anyway...

I dunno, maybe he has a Blackburn supporting friend and went with them... I don't follow him on TwiXter!!

...but thanks for researching it!
Yeah there’s so many league clubs in and around greater Manchester, I don’t think it’s that unusual up there to go to watch a few different teams. Hopefully he’s right.

Back
Top Bottom