AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello

I've just joined this forum. I'd really like to hear your opinion on AVB and the job he's done so far and what you think the fans feel about him.

Then I can start to respond to those and put forward my opinions either for or against!

Thanks

Personally I think he did a very good job considering the players we lost in the summer last year.

He helped Bale's game evolve (even Bale himself says so). Made some errors though, especially the Fulham game and the Basel tie. Overall very happy with his year and I think he'll improve next year

So you think Tottenham were right to get rid of Redknapp and appointing AVB has proved to be the right move?

I think you can probably tell already where I stand on this!

AVB may not have reached the holy grail of the champions league that redknapp managed, but for me there is much more potential to grow with a squad managed by AVB than by Redknapp.

Also, AVB knockers seem to believe that other fans wanted redknapp out. Most of us would have been happy for him to stay but he talked himself out of the job. We've had a full season with AVB now so talking about redknapp seems somewhat irrelevant now anyway.

Personally, I think that its damn right annoying being less than 2 weeks away from the start of the season and having a thread dedicated to questioning AVB.

I will support the geezer through thick and thin and fully support him.

I don't see how Redknapp talked himself out of a job. He was clearly interested in the England job but that's no crime.

Don Revie left the league champions to take the England job. Clough would have left Forest having won the European Cup to take the England job. I can fully understand Redknapp being interested in it.

Fans are perfectly entitled to question their manager. I'm not saying AVB is dreadful, he's certainly no Ardiles who I think is the worst manager the club has had in my lifetime (and yes I haven't forgotten Gross).

But I can not rate him as highly as Redknapp, look at where Tottenham were when he took over and look at how far they had come when he was sacked.

Incidentally, what was the real reason for sacking Redknapp? I don't think I ever heard what the official one was either.

I don't see how Redknapp talked himself out of a job. He was clearly interested in the England job but that's no crime.

Don Revie left the league champions to take the England job. Clough would have left Forest having won the European Cup to take the England job. I can fully understand Redknapp being interested in it.

Are you having a laugh? We have ourselves a joker.
Listen, this was in the middle of the season, sorry. This was near the tail end of the season where we was meant to be challenging for top four. Are you trying to take the piss?
We was so clear of Woolwich that we should of been cruising by the time the season ended but because old soggy chops took his eye off the ball we missed out.

Sorry if I sound cunty but you've wound me up a bit there.

i don't dispute that. but he should have either just said what he wanted either way. the fact is he clearly wasn't being seriously considered for it anyway, so it was him trying to bat his eyelids at the FA.
Even if you allow that, it was the constant contradictory statements that must have pissed levy off.

Remember when he was after the job and he said the players didn't care who the manager was as long as they are playing football. Then, all of a suddenly he doesn't get the England job and decides to bring in Paul Stretford to negotiate a nice new contract at Spurs. He starts saying how it's unsettling for the players to not know who the manager is going to be.

I'm no Redknapp hater and I don't want to re-write history. He was, overall, a success, despite his flaws. But I think AVB has at the very least proved to his detractors and the redknapp lovers that he's not a complete fuck up, as he was depicted when he first came. I think it's time to end this debate and just support the manager that we have, who is clearly a respectful bloke who holds the club, fans and its players in great esteem

A joker? No, not really.

Sure, Tottenham had a poor run of results but they still finished fourth and if it had not been for Chelsea's freakish streak of luck, they would have qualified for the Champions League once again. Usually a Tottenham team finishing a season that badly would be fighting relegation, another example of how far Redknapp had taken the club.

Yes, you did sound a bit cunty but I forgive you!

Redknapp passed on Suarez because 'he was too similar to VDV.' He tried to sign Kenwynne Jones instead. That's all you need to know mate.

To jimmyriggle (sorry I haven't found out yet how to post a direct response to a post)

Even if Redknapp wanted the England job and tried to renegotiate a new contract, is that really a sackable offence? I don't think it was obvious until the FA appointed Hodgson (a BIG mistake in my opinion) that it became clear the FA weren't going to appoint Redknapp.

Remember the FA would have had to compensate Tottenham, they didn't have to do so with WBA. I think that was a MAJOR factor. Every England player who spoke out and most pundits wanted Redknapp for the job.

I thought these Harry v AVB threads were over... Who cares about Harry any more? I thought he was a decent manager, made mistakes but everyone does. The way he spoke to the press made him sound like a cunt, couldn't keep his mouth shut but he did a good job for us. Saying that, he's gone now and I couldn't care less about him.

Redknapp taking about taking the England job must have affected the payers - if they think the manager is off they probably all re-evaulate their own situations and start thinking about whoever the new guy that comes in will like him and so on and so on.

Levy/The Club spent millions on a world class training facility and you heard from the players own mouths that Redknapp didn't really do tactics - you have to wonder what sort of training regimes he had going on, I would guess the board thought, amongst other things, maybe he wasn't the right man to get the best out the facilities and who knows, even the players, maybe behind closed doors all wasn't rosy and there was an opportunity to address that.

AVB took us to our highest ever points finish - he cant control what other teams achieve points wise, so in my eyes, he outperformed Redknapp in his first season - after losing 2 of our best players.

Even if anyone doesn't really like AVB or his methods/style, I think its pretty short sighted to look past that.

Maybe he did pass on Suarez, I didn't know that. But at least he didn't say two strikers (one of which was Adebayor) were sufficient during the transfer window like AVB did.

Maybe he did pass on Suarez, I didn't know that. But at least he didn't say two strikers (one of which was Adebayor) were sufficient during the transfer window like AVB did.
So if he's been told that all he had to work with by the board, is he really going to come out and slag the club making excuses for himself before he's even managed his first game?

It really inst that simple.

Back
Top Bottom