Away to Elton John's men, London Derby - 28/12/15 15:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But what we've also shown is the ability not to lose too often, therefore denying our rivals of 3 points and preventing such dramatic swings in positional places. I know a lot have moaned about our draws this season, saying 1 win is better than 3 draws but that's not always the case. In fact, 2 draws can be better than a win and a loss depending on the opponents, as denying your rivals 3 points is very effective in maintaining position in the table.
I'm sorry Mick, but that is an absolute lie.

Worst case scenario is no. 7, unless Watford and Stoke gain respectively 12 and 17 goals on us in goal difference, then the worst case scenario is no. 9.

Given of course that we lose both our games while the rest of top 4-10 will win all of theirs (which can't happen as some play against each other in the next two rounds, hence your scare example is impossible)
Totally busted - I couldn't be arsed to work it out, as I knew someone would.
Three games then - the point was that it's all so tight that it doesn't take much to catch a snake and slide back down the table.
I apologise for not being industrious enough to work it out. You obviously have more time on your hands!

Three games then - the point was that it's all so tight that it doesn't take much to catch a snake and slide back down the table.
I apologise for not being industrious enough to work it out. You obviously have more time on your hands!

I really don't, no, but I'm obviously more time efficient than you ;)

I'd say it's way more likely that we win 2 games and no. 1-2 drops points = us at 1st place, than it is for us to lose 3 games while no. 4-10 wins.

Glass half full, Mick. Have a nice evening.

f61deceb82497106004d00659f1cf1774af15646d4ac7d955a252f37a11562af.jpg

Most of it has been said, but for what it's worth, we won an ugly game on an ugly pitch, against an ugly team that Graham Taylor would have been ecstatic about.
We have a squad, not just a team.
We have a leader, not just a manager.
We have steel, not just talent.
We have a plan, not just performances.
We are resilient, not just lucky.

The times, they are a -changing.We have been dared, and we are doing. Clubs are now looking at our results and not wanting to play us. We will lose games again, but once something gathers momentum, it is very difficult to stop it.
We have been here before, but not like this.
Believe.

Just watching MOTD, we weren't at our best but ground out a great result away to an in-form team. In previous seasons this is exactly the type of game we would have lost so hats-off to the boys.

Apart from looking like Mr fuckin Magoo, Ian Wright just can't bring himself to give us any credit - a bit like all the other ex-Scum pundits. Oh, I forgot, they're all a bunch of bitter twisted cunts with a bowl of chips on each shoulder - utter wankers the lot of them.

COYS

Indeed, just about everyone except for Keown actually.. Couldn't stand him as a player, but he's actually a decent pundit. Honest and objective about Spurs which is a change to the 100s of other washed up ex-scum pundits around.

Should be pointing the finger at your player that got sent off and leaving you with 10 men, sore loser, bloody prick!

don't paint me as a pessimist
pragmatist possibly...........

The point I'm making is that the points spread is so small, all results are capable of great movement amongst the top ten teams.

We have shown that whilst we are a steady team, we lack the true potential to kill off matches and see them out. I just hope that Levy can see this and actually stump up some money for some effective signings.

Like Benzema or Modric.....
or both
Now you are just dreaming!

I really don't, no, but I'm obviously more time efficient than you ;)

I'd say it's way more likely that we win 2 games and no. 1-2 drops points = us at 1st place, than it is for us to lose 3 games while no. 4-10 wins.

Glass half full, Mick. Have a nice evening.
Not sure why you are pushing your optimism, or view of what might be most likely to happen, as if it reveals something. I'm not predicting anything, or being negative or despondent.
I was pointing out that the point spread at the top is tight, and it doesn't take much for positions to change significantly without some massive golden streak or slump to move the positions around.
I had hoped that the general nature of what I was pointing out was self evident enough, without someone having to raise a permutations based mathematical analysis of the exactitude of what I said.
I'd say that not wasting my time was more time efficient than spending time disproving the general meaning of what I was trying to say, but if that honks your horn then I'm fine with that.
Analytically you are probably right, but hopefully you can get what I'm alluding to, without having to make the leap of assuming that I am proposing that all is lost and that we are relegation fodder.

Not sure why you are pushing your optimism, or view of what might be most likely to happen, as if it reveals something. I'm not predicting anything, or being negative or despondent.
I was pointing out that the point spread at the top is tight, and it doesn't take much for positions to change significantly without some massive golden streak or slump to move the positions around.
I had hoped that the general nature of what I was pointing out was self evident enough, without someone having to raise a permutations based mathematical analysis of the exactitude of what I said.
I'd say that not wasting my time was more time efficient than spending time disproving the general meaning of what I was trying to say, but if that honks your horn then I'm fine with that.
Analytically you are probably right, but hopefully you can get what I'm alluding to, without having to make the leap of assuming that I am proposing that all is lost and that we are relegation fodder.

Possibly more pertinent to the "two losses and..." Reply would be that we've only lost two in our first 19, what makes you think we'll lose two in our next two?

You could say we're still not clear of relegation with only 35 points, if we lose all our remaining games we'll go down... Relegation fears?

Granted, it's quite a closely packed league below us, but we're still up the top there regardless, 4 points clear of fifth.

Possibly more pertinent to the "two losses and..." Reply would be that we've only lost two in our first 19, what makes you think we'll lose two in our next two?

You could say we're still not clear of relegation with only 35 points, if we lose all our remaining games we'll go down... Relegation fears?

Granted, it's quite a closely packed league below us, but we're still up the top there regardless, 4 points clear of fifth.
I don't think that - and neither did I ever say that we would.

While I am certainly in the "let's not get carried away" camp, some of the moaning in this thread is just alien to me. Two weeks ago I was reading people moaning that "our unbeaten run isn't what it's cracked up to be because we've only won six games". Three matches later and it's "we're winning but our football is shit" and we're gonna drop down the table.

Is the league very open this year? Yes. Can we drop down the table? Yes. Can we go on a bad run of form? Yes. Will there be games where we win but the football is boring? Yes. Will we win the league? Not likely. Will we miss out on forth? More than possible. Is Poch the best football manager in the world? No. Do we have the league's best squad? No. Do we need a striker? Yes. Will the lack of rotation maybe be a problem for us? Yes. Will the squad get tired? Maybe.

But Jesus, can we save all the moaning and pessimism for when we actually start losing more than once every ten or games? Not really directing this any anyone particular on here, as I've been seeing similar stuff all over. I just don't get why when we go on a good run and are hoovering up points some people just don't even have a day or two's joy over the victories before immediately going for the negative. Match threads online are sometimes like a suicide watch, even when we win!

We're winning games. We're, frankly, where we shouldn't have been with the talent available to Man U & Chelsea. If the form of those teams had matched the quality in their squads then realistically we'd probably still be in 5th or 6th now. But we aren't. We're third. It's not same old same old so far this year. There is a reason to enjoy the good feeling while it lasts and just enjoy that continuing faint hope that we will still get something great out of the season. I know that those of us who have been fans for many years have seen so many false dawns and the worst kind of bad luck. But still, when it's reasonably good can't we just allow ourselves to enjoy the moment? Is that too much to bloody ask?

Sorry, had to get off my chest.

Last edited:
-
While I am certainly in the "let's not get carried away" camp, some of the moaning in this thread is just alien to me. Two weeks ago I was reading people moaning that "our unbeaten run isn't what it's cracked up to be because we've only won six games". Three matches later and it's "we're winning but our football is shit" and we're gonna drop down the table.

Is the league very open this year? Yes. Can we drpp down the table? Yes. Can we go on a bad run of form? Yes. Will there be games where we win but the football is boring? Yes. Will we win the league? Not likely. Will we miss out on forth? More than possible. Is Poch the best football manager in the world? No. Do we have the league's best squad? No. Do we need a striker? Yes. Will the lack of rotation maybe be a problem for us? Yes. Will the squad get tired? Maybe.

But Jesus, can we save all the moaning and pessimism for when we actually start losing more than once every ten or games? Not really directing this any anyone particular on here, as I've been seeing similar stuff all over. I just don't get why when we go on a good run and are hoovering up points some people just don't even have a day or two's joy over the victories before immediately going for the negative. Match threads online are sometimes like a suicide watch, even when we win!

We're winning games. We're, frankly, were we shouldn't have been with the talent available to Man U & Chelsea. If the form of those teams had matched the quality in their squads then realistically we'd probably still be in 5th or 6th now. But we aren't. We're third. It's not same old same old so far this year. There is a reason to enjoy the good feeling while it lasts and just enjoy that continuing faint hope that we will still get something great out of the season. I know that those of us who have been fans for many years have seen so many false dawns and the worst kind of bad luck. But still, when it's reasonably good can't we just allow ourselves to enjoy the moment? Is that too much to bloody ask?

Sorry, had to get off my chest.
Spot on...just wanted to add, there will be a contrast of performances over a season-fortunately this season is seeing our poorer games getting results-is that a bad thing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom