Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you judge a player on the basis of whether they have made a name for themselves or not? I mean, I don't know much about Davies, so I'm not knocking your lack of knowledge or whatever, but I'm just saying, how can you rule him out as not good enough if you don't know about him?
you make a name for yourself if you do something good, if you impress.
I haven't even read rave reviews. I trust the scouts, the people in the game - but 10 mill sounds a heck of a lot for someone, who as far as I'm concerned hasnt made a name for himself. Are there not solid left backs with experience for about half that much. Other clubs like wigan and west brom seem to find them.

I haven't even read rave reviews. I trust the scouts, the people in the game - but 10 mill sounds a heck of a lot for someone, who as far as I'm concerned hasnt made a name for himself. Are there not solid left backs with experience for about half that much. Other clubs like wigan and west brom seem to find them.

This is what is wrong with football. Some cunt like David Luiz tries to get on TV as much as he can regardless of good or bad and gets a 50m move to PSG. David Luiz before the WC was shit and he still is but he had a name for himself...I'd much rather buy a player who understand his ability and is able to perform the tasks given to him to a high quality without trying to overdo it. We tried getting big name players last season and it back fired catastrophically. £10m for a PL proven player. I'd snap Swansea's fingers off.

A big name just brings media attention and pressure.

I suppose you could say we have one in Rose. Sunderland seemed to think so anyway and I'd put they in the above bracket of mid table/lower level clubs.. Not sure what happened to him. Maybe Poch can get him

If rose hadn't been our player and after he had that good season with sunderland , we would of offered sunderland £10m for him. One season don't make a player and for that reason Davies is well over priced.
£6m tops.

If rose hadn't been our player and after he had that good season with sunderland , we would of offered sunderland £10m for him. One season don't make a player and for that reason Davies is well over priced.
£6m tops.

I think 6 is a little low. I said 8 before. But I agree with the sentiment.

Enough to-ing ad fro-ing. People can bump tits all they want about how much they THINK we should pay. But realistically, we want/need another LB. If we want PL proven, the most attainable man with the most promise is Ben Davies. There is a reason Shitpool and Mancunts have been linked, and it is becuase he fits the mould. I have faith in Pochettino developing players, and hopefully Rose can be developed, BUT we need a starter. Pay what needs to be payed under 14m. Thats may 2 cents. Over and out.

10 mil for a young LB isn't really that much in todays market unfortunately. Especially when he has 2 seasons in the top flight and a european run last year under his belt already at his age. Plus the scousers are sniffing and that will only drive the price up more.

£6m tops.

Nah. He can't be had for 6m so his price is NOT 6m. Even if he is just worth 8m, I say its worth dropping the extra 2m to get a player as young and talented as he. Maybe you would be overpaying by a couple of million, but it makes sense rather than to get an older player that doesn't have the upside. Should Davies take a step in the right direction and raise his game he will be well worth the money. Taking some risk dropping that extra few million but you really have to take gambles like this in today's game. And I don't believe it is that much of a gamble honestly. As has been said we surely need a starting LB and Davies is more than qualified.

His presence on the field will improve our game a great deal and that's what matters most and that is worth dropping the extra few million. Liverpool offered 8. Hopefully they will not offer 10. If they offer 10 also, where will Davies go? I think he is more likely to head to Liverpool. So it makes sense that we are in a position to HAVE to pay a couple of million more. We will have to match the buy-out clause on most good players if we want them because other teams are generally more attractive.

Once the other teams match though, it puts us at a disadvantage. Better to match the clause now, over evaluation of a couple of million in order to snag him before a team like Pool changes their mind and decides to match also.

And I seriously doubt we would have ever payed 10m for Rose. REALLY 5 million tops. And If Davies is only worth 6m then Rose should only be worth about 3m.

Davies has made 84 appearances in the last two years for a mid-level Prem team that plays good football and he just turned 21. That seems like a pretty good profile for us to be buying and by no means in £10m outrageous. Did anyone see the comparisons statistically between him and Shaw? Almost the same with Davies even a little better. Shaw is just two years younger and English and because he made the national team goes for three times more. Nonsensical. Davies is a good buy in this market. He will just keep improving as well.

£10-12m for a HG talent with his experience isn't overpriced by the market standards, IMO. We would likely pay far more for a foreign talent with no experience and be in a worse situation if they didn't adapt. At least he is still young enough to still make a profit on in a few years, and is easily better than Rose.

Shaw, although a much better talent has less appearances and experience for Southampton and went for between two and three times that value. I'd say go for it.

This is what is wrong with football. Some cunt like David Luiz tries to get on TV as much as he can regardless of good or bad and gets a 50m move to PSG. David Luiz before the WC was shit and he still is but he had a name for himself...I'd much rather buy a player who understand his ability and is able to perform the tasks given to him to a high quality without trying to overdo it. We tried getting big name players last season and it back fired catastrophically. £10m for a PL proven player. I'd snap Swansea's fingers off.
Could have been worse. We could have signed him!

A big name just brings media attention and pressure.

Back
Top Bottom