Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know very little about Davies and that video posted earlier didn't do a whole bunch to impress me. He didn't look very out of the ordinary. However, I suppose Rose looks unordinarily bad every time he plays, so I guess ordinary is an improvement.
At the beginning of the season Rose had several games where we all thought he was fantastic, he even put in a couple of man of the match performances! Why is everyone so quick to forgot these? Does that mean if Eriksen had had his season the reverse way around (good under AVB but bad under Tim) everyone would be saying how we need to get rid? People seem willing to give every other player a clean slate but Rose, what gives?

At the beginning of the season Rose had several games where we all thought he was fantastic, he even put in a couple of man of the match performances! Why is everyone so quick to forgot these? Does that mean if Eriksen had had his season the reverse way around (good under AVB but bad under Tim) everyone would be saying how we need to get rid? People seem willing to give every other player a clean slate but Rose, what gives?

This is very true. Rose by my take was much better under AVB. I think a massive part of that was having an actual winger and a genuine CDM to assist defensively and know when to provide options for the pass. He saw very little of that under Sherwood, and as such it applied the more pressure on our weakest link.

This is very true. Rose by my take was much better under AVB. I think a massive part of that was having an actual winger and a genuine CDM to assist defensively and know when to provide options for the pass. He saw very little of that under Sherwood, and as such it applied the more pressure on our weakest link.

Couldn't agree more with Cahspur.
I also think think that ball retention was key under AVB and his possession football theories of how the more you have the ball the less the opposition can hurt you benefitted Rose as he actually had less defending to do. Come Sherwood, and his thesis wasn't necessarily you have a go we have go but we were far more open, this provided problem and opportunity for Rose, it meant he would have to defend a lot more frequently (admittedly with an unsettled back four) but would also get to showcase his attacking abilities as we moved the ball a lot faster than under AVB, if I'm honest I think he failed on both counts, 1 defensively and 2 attacking from deep (end product).
That's why I think he is poor and also I don't think our style under Poch will be anything like that of AVBoas so I really don't think he will work with that system.
I also think he's been a petulant little fucker at times and the sooner we weed a few of them out the better!

Couldn't agree more with Cahspur.
I also think think that ball retention was key under AVB and his possession football theories of how the more you have the ball the less the opposition can hurt you benefitted Rose as he actually had less defending to do. Come Sherwood, and his thesis wasn't necessarily you have a go we have go but we were far more open, this provided problem and opportunity for Rose, it meant he would have to defend a lot more frequently (admittedly with an unsettled back four) but would also get to showcase his attacking abilities as we moved the ball a lot faster than under AVB, if I'm honest I think he failed on both counts, 1 defensively and 2 attacking from deep (end product).
That's why I think he is poor and also I don't think our style under Poch will be anything like that of AVBoas so I really don't think he will work with that system.
I also think he's been a petulant little fucker at times and the sooner we weed a few of them out the better!

Well tbf, both Poch and AVB's system take a lot of influence from the same source. There are actually a lot of similarities, including possession and the high press. The biggest difference though, is AVB preferred a slow, horizontal buildup to work the ball in while Poch likes fast, vertical passing. Frankly, I think this could alleviate some of the pressure on Rose were he to still be playing for Spurs, which is why I give him a chance. Conversely though, he'll have to see dangerous situations developing and know when to haul the fuck back to cover his CB. I don't yield him much confidence in this regard. My hope is that with a pacey, dynamic winger to cover him and an athletic, mobile CDM, he would be a viable backup in Poch's system. Otherwise, if this is even obvious in training camp and the friendlies, I say send him out and find another cheap option (Murru at Cagliari).

I see where your coming from tbh, but rose was costing us so many goals towards the end of last season that it was becoming a joke. hell he's almost completely responsible for us losing 3 times to woolwich last year imo. we cant afford a weak link like that again next year

I see where your coming from tbh, but rose was costing us so many goals towards the end of last season that it was becoming a joke. hell he's almost completely responsible for us losing 3 times to woolwich last year imo. we cant afford a weak link like that again next year
Cost us 3 times against Woolwich? Really?! First game it was Dawson's fault for there goal of you want to pick a player. In the cup yes he made a horrible mistake but we lost by two so it didn't matter so much. Finally in the other game Rosisky scored a screamer which noone could have prevented so how can you blame Rose?! Then we squandered loads of great chances, Rose actually created some of them too but it wasn't his fault no-one was converting.

Finally you mention Rose being responsible for many conceded goals, this simply isn't true and when it has been 'his fault' almost 100% of the time it's because he's been double teamed and with Eriksen rarely tracking back plus no defensive midfielder to cover how could he be expected to stop them?

Please give me some examples though, other than the Woolwich one where the goals were his fault?

Secondly, what makes everyone so sure Davies will be any better, after all Rose was Sunderland's player of the season and Swansea are not much better yet Davies has not got that award for Swansea.

Cost us 3 times against Woolwich? Really?! First game it was Dawson's fault for there goal of you want to pick a player. In the cup yes he made a horrible mistake but we lost by two so it didn't matter so much. Finally in the other game Rosisky scored a screamer which noone could have prevented so how can you blame Rose?! Then we squandered loads of great chances, Rose actually created some of them too but it wasn't his fault no-one was converting.

Finally you mention Rose being responsible for many conceded goals, this simply isn't true and when it has been 'his fault' almost 100% of the time it's because he's been double teamed and with Eriksen rarely tracking back plus no defensive midfielder to cover how could he be expected to stop them?

Please give me some examples though, other than the Woolwich one where the goals were his fault?

Secondly, what makes everyone so sure Davies will be any better, after all Rose was Sunderland's player of the season and Swansea are not much better yet Davies has not got that award for Swansea.

Because if you watched our football last season, you must have seen that the LB position was our most vulnerable area on the pitch, and the most obvious problem to address first. Every team targeted that position, with varying degrees of success, but it was so predictable it was almost laughable. We knew in advance how the opposition were going to play, but with the personnel available in that position, we still had no answer. If Poch had not looked to strengthen in that area, he would have got off to a very bad start IMO.

Whether Ben Davies is the answer has yet to be seen, but his pedigree at Swansea, a team who like us, prefer a passing game, seems, to me at least, a natural fit.

Your point about Eriksen not tracking back is very odd. Do you really want our most creative player tracking back to protect an inadequate full back?

Because if you watched our football last season, you must have seen that the LB position was our most vulnerable area on the pitch, and the most obvious problem to address first. Every team targeted that position, with varying degrees of success, but it was so predictable it was almost laughable. We knew in advance how the opposition were going to play, but with the personnel available in that position, we still had no answer. If Poch had not looked to strengthen in that area, he would have got off to a very bad start IMO.

Whether Ben Davies is the answer has yet to be seen, but his pedigree at Swansea, a team who like us, prefer a passing game, seems, to me at least, a natural fit.

Your point about Eriksen not tracking back is very odd. Do you really want our most creative player tracking back to protect an inadequate full back?
I gave the reasons for him being vulnerable and you are still completely disregarding the first half of his season.

Also I'm not suggesting I think Eriksen should have been defending but it doesn't mean Rose is at fault for poor choice of line ups. The fact other teams were able to isolate Rose shows how unprotected he was.

I gave the reasons for him being vulnerable and you are still completely disregarding the first half of his season.

Also I'm not suggesting I think Eriksen should have been defending but it doesn't mean Rose is at fault for poor choice of line ups. The fact other teams were able to isolate Rose shows how unprotected he was.
Really I'm not, but you don't go into a game of football setting up to protect the LB. Walker doesn't need the same amount of protection for example. If you're a fan of Danny Rose, fair enough, but don't disregard the opinions of thousands of others, including our manager. :adethumbup:

Really I'm not, but you don't go into a game of football setting up to protect the LB. Walker doesn't need the same amount of protection for example. If you're a fan of Danny Rose, fair enough, but don't disregard the opinions of thousands of others, including our manager. :adethumbup:
Thousands of others think Walker is shit, a lot of band-wagoners say things to try and seem like they know Spurs (not saying you are by the way but you take my point). Also we have no idea what Poch thinks, for all we know he could see potential in Rose to make him his Shaw.

Thousands of others think Walker is shit, a lot of band-wagoners say things to try and seem like they know Spurs (not saying you are by the way but you take my point). Also we have no idea what Poch thinks, for all we know he could see potential in Rose to make him his Shaw.
Then why is he trying to buy a LB?

Back
Top Bottom