Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In hindsight I would agree that Rose was one of our better performers at the start of the season, think Siggy played infront of him then and for all his downfalls he does track back more so than Eriksen did. His form utterly disintagrated though when Sherwood came in, through injury/form/tactics. Athletically Rose is great, I just hope Poch can brain train him, this time next year he could be first on the team sheet, or he could be a poor mans Naughton

Imo townsend has to play on the left, it adds protection to the full back and he's just going to shoot every time he plays on the right. This should help rose (or whoever is there)

Imo townsend has to play on the left, it adds protection to the full back and he's just going to shoot every time he plays on the right. This should help rose (or whoever is there)

Nah, Townsend is very poor on the left. His runs are right angled as fuck as they're either to the byline or across the box, and he doesn't cover his fullback anyway. Chadli and a new guy IMO. Leave Townsend for the right where he actually creates problems for the defense (as long as he learns when to and when not to shoot).

In hindsight I would agree that Rose was one of our better performers at the start of the season, think Siggy played infront of him then and for all his downfalls he does track back more so than Eriksen did. His form utterly disintagrated though when Sherwood came in, through injury/form/tactics. Athletically Rose is great, I just hope Poch can brain train him, this time next year he could be first on the team sheet, or he could be a poor mans Naughton

I disagree. He was utterly abysmal under avb and turned our shape into chaotic joke off the ball. Everything from hospital passes out of defense, daydreaming holding the line and terrible ability in almost every aspect apart from pace.

The sooner he is 3rd in line, the more intelligent our team shape will be.

If he is played it should be as a backup winger. Thank god avb was a possession monkey so we had less breaks for that liability to deal with.

Nah, Townsend is very poor on the left. His runs are right angled as fuck as they're either to the byline or across the box, and he doesn't cover his fullback anyway. Chadli and a new guy IMO. Leave Townsend for the right where he actually creates problems for the defense (as long as he learns when to and when not to shoot).

I guess and he does have a right foot. One thing's for sure, one side is going to be far more dominant than the other

Gotta say, IMHO there's nothing wrong with a touchline-hugging winger who gets to the byline a lot.

I'd play him left personally.

But agree if he was our first choice LW going in to the season I'd be disappointed.

Gotta say, IMHO there's nothing wrong with a touchline-hugging winger who gets to the byline a lot.

I'd play him left personally.

But agree if he was our first choice LW going in to the season I'd be disappointed.

There's a problem with it if there's no in-between. If that's the only thing successful he does, shutting it down is easy and it creates a ripple effect throughout the side. Today's winger is very ambidextrous, so any of them can get to the byline and cross with either foot nowadays. It's attacking the rest of that 90 degrees facing towards the goal that makes the difference, something Townsend seems to forget when playing on the left. Chadli for instance, is no slouch crossing on his week foot from the left, but at least he can cut it back and pull off a much better shot.

I disagree. He was utterly abysmal under avb and turned our shape into chaotic joke off the ball. Everything from hospital passes out of defense, daydreaming holding the line and terrible ability in almost every aspect apart from pace.

If he is played it should be as a backup winger. Thank god avb was a possession monkey so we had less breaks for that liability to deal with.
I thought we desperately lacked width without Rose, his constant bombing down the left side did give Siggurdson or whoever was playing left wing an opportunity to cut inside after the defender was drawn out. Not saying his final ball was any good, and I competely agree on his passing ability, and individual mistakes came from every one of our defenders in abundance last year. Under AVB when we actually kept possesion he was integral to the shape of the team though, he and the rest of our back four got left out to dry by a pressing game that our squad didn't seem to get under AVB, and a lack of DMs and Jan under Sherwood. I honestly wouldn't be surprised seeing Rose start first game in the PL, I would genuinely love a more accomplished left back but Rose has qualities and Poch seems great at bringing that out of younish English talent:pochsmirk:

If Chadli comes back from Brazil with renewed confidence, and Lamela gets his shit together, "*It'll be like having two new signings"

*Quiet transfer window straw-clutching cliche alert!

Kind of agree, still in two minds over him, he is quick, strong, can show great skill on occassion but his lack of positional disipline is worse than a sunday league team and he is often very lazy by which I mean his attitude is all wrong. Kyle Walker is not perfect but he always puts in 100%, Rose must get a brain and stop being lazy if he has any chance.

Back
Top Bottom