Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does anyone here think Davies is actually worth 12 million?? Seems abit pricey for mind

I think in todays market, a young homegrown left back with Premiership experience is going to cost that much. If he's first choice for four/five years and we qualify/play in the Champions League, he'll have a big resale value.

Definitely worth it to me.

I agree. It is a bit pricey, but look at the other transfers. Everything is pricey every new summer since the market is inflated as fuck by all the oligarch money. It's ridiculous how much the prices rise from summer to summer.

Seems that this year's price for average 'name' player with PL experience, plus having had a semi decent season, is around the £20m mark. A couple of seasons ago this amount would have bought you a pretty near to world class player. Player prices in the last couple of years seem to have increased exponentially due to oil/gas/TV money.

Look at Dejan Lovren, Southampton signed him last summer for £7m? Now they want £20m+ I understand he's under contract so they can ask whatever they like. However has a season worth of PL playing added that much to his value? There are plenty of other undiscovered Dejan Lovren's out there to be had for a lot less from other Leagues. That's why we have Liverpool scouts (and Ian Broomfield again) to find these players for us.

Seems that this year's price for average 'name' player with PL experience, plus having had a semi decent season, is around the £20m mark. A couple of seasons ago this amount would have bought you a pretty near to world class player. Player prices in the last couple of years seem to have increased exponentially due to oil/gas/TV money.

Look at Dejan Lovren, Southampton signed him last summer for £7m? Now they want £20m+ I understand he's under contract so they can ask whatever they like. However has a season worth of PL playing added that much to his value? There are plenty of other undiscovered Dejan Lovren's out there to be had for a lot less from other Leagues. That's why we have Liverpool scouts (and Ian Broomfield again) to find these players for us.

To be fair, Lovren has Premiership, Champions League and World Cup experience now and he's 24... £20m isn't silly considering Luiz has just gone for £50m.

To be fair, Lovren has Premiership, Champions League and World Cup experience now and he's 24... £20m isn't silly considering Luiz has just gone for £50m.

There is the problem Luiz went for £50m, the same price the Chavs paid to get Torres a few years ago. Now Sideshow Bob goes for the same amount?!?! Madness I tell thee.

Explain Luke Shaw £30m? Other than English tax, no CL experience, 1 WC game to his name, is that justified? Sure at 18 he has many years ahead of him. However one bad injury, or he doesn't develop any further than he already has, we'll be calling him the defensive version of Andy Carroll.

Transfer fees are just over inflated numbers. Lovren isn't worth any more than £15m! He hardly covered himself in glory playing at this WC. As for Champions League he got that playing for Lyon, who hardly ever set that competition alight. He would be a solid upgrade for us, however not for £20m+!

I genuinely think that we should all stop being surprised by transfer fees. Yes, it's all fucking bonkers - Shaw for £30m? Do me a favour but it is happening.

Now, let's fork out the £23m Leeds are really holding out for, and get Ross McCormack in..

I'd happily take a punt on finding another Vlad, young, CL and international experienced, not massively expensive. He bust his gut in his last games for Steaua when they played the Chavs, we need more of those. Plus genuinely happy to join us.

I hope so.
Unfortunately, I'm also seeing (via the same source that said Bony deal was dead) that Davies is going to Swansea on their USA tour. That's a not a good sign, right?

No definitely not good. Seems a bit contrary to reports suggesting he yesterday trained on his own.

Here's the original article, if anyone is interested:
Swansea City will not rule out keeping hold of Ben Davies this summer – as Garry Monk looks set to take the in-demand defender to America for pre-season.

Tottenham have been in discussions with Swansea over a £10m-plus move for the Wales left-back after Mauricio Pochettino set his sights on the highly-rated 21-year-old.

But while it has been thought the Swans have been prepared to do a deal over Davies – one that could see Gylfi Sigurdsson head to the Liberty in return – it is understood they are not yet resigned to letting go of the Neath-born talent.

Swansea are thought to have been tempted into cashing-in on Davies because of the presence of Neil Taylor in their ranks, but it is clear they won’t be rushed into a deal by Tottenham with boss Garry Monk keen to keep the youngster among his options.

And WalesOnline has learned the 21-cap international has been confirmed to be travelling with the rest of Monk’s squad to the States for a two-week training camp.

Tottenham had appeared keen to push through the move for Davies ahead of Swansea’s departure on Sunday but Monk insisted at training in South Wales on Thursday he will continue to plan for life with the young full-back on board.

“Ben’s been out training with us, committed, and that’s how we’ll both approach it until we’re told otherwise,” said Monk. “Of course it would be a blow to lose him but I’m not looking at it like that because right now he’s a Swansea City player.

“If there are talks it will be with the chairman and at board level, I just concentrate on the football. I speak to the chairman about players every single day about players that are here and about players you would want to get.

“But at this moment in time Ben is a Swansea City player.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...s/tottenham-hotspur-target-ben-davies-7375104

There is the problem Luiz went for £50m, the same price the Chavs paid to get Torres a few years ago. Now Sideshow Bob goes for the same amount?!?! Madness I tell thee.

Explain Luke Shaw £30m? Other than English tax, no CL experience, 1 WC game to his name, is that justified? Sure at 18 he has many years ahead of him. However one bad injury, or he doesn't develop any further than he already has, we'll be calling him the defensive version of Andy Carroll.

Transfer fees are just over inflated numbers. Lovren isn't worth any more than £15m! He hardly covered himself in glory playing at this WC. As for Champions League he got that playing for Lyon, who hardly ever set that competition alight. He would be a solid upgrade for us, however not for £20m+!

Of course it is a risk by United but I'm sure they did their research. I know I would be if I was forking out £30m for a kid.

Transfer fees these days are very rarely considered "good value". Clubs don't want to get the best "value" for their money. Look at Bale, imo, he wasn't worth £85m when someone like Eriksen was only £12m but you need to spend that extra 20/30m on that something special even if it doesn't appear to be good value.

Most people would agree that Real Madrid did better out of the Bale transfer than ourselves.

I hope so.
Unfortunately, I'm also seeing (via the same source that said Bony deal was dead) that Davies is going to Swansea on their USA tour. That's a not a good sign, right?
Why is him going to the US so bad? Are they taking a boat for several months? No internet over there? I'm sure Levy will be pissed if we have to fly him back, but still..minor issue.

£12m is insane. The lad is a decent left back but hes not £12m for fucks sake

If its £6m and Gylfi then that makes sense from a wages POV and the fact he probably is surplus to requirements but £12m? Jeez

Back
Top Bottom