Bryan Gil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's in Spain's olympic football team so assume he would be late to preseason if we sign him

1st game tomorrow at 8.30AM against Egypt

If Spain reaches the final, he will still be in Tokyo playing the final on 7th August, just 8 days before we play City
Spain now in to semi final against Japan which means he'll either be in the bronze medal match on the 6th August, 9 days before we play City, or the final on 7th August, 8 days before our season starts.

Essentially he'll have no preseason with the team :dempsey:

(but his fitness levels should be good)

Spain now in to semi final against Japan which means he'll either be in the bronze medal match on the 6th August, 9 days before we play City, or the final on 7th August, 8 days before our season starts.

Blimey. That means he won’t be seen at Hotspur way until the start of September. Unlikely we’ll see him before the palace game (11/9). Then the next 2 are Chelsea and Scum. Will he be thrown into one of those for his debut?

I assume they'll both get a min of 3 weeks off so won't come to Spurs till early Sept.

Th at aged well.... all of 2 minutes perhaps?

In other news, was it just me, did it look like none of the Spain team were passing to Gil in the 2nd half/E.T...?
It was almost as if they were ignoring him for the 3rd, 4th and 5th goals!

Highlight made it look that way, he should he had a couple of clear chances 7-9yards out with his runs, if a more senior player they would have played him in, for sure.

He makes really good space, by holding back. But only say a 10minutes highlight of the game.

Blimey. That means he won’t be seen at Hotspur way until the start of September. Unlikely we’ll see him before the palace game (11/9). Then the next 2 are Chelsea and Scum. Will he be thrown into one of those for his debut?
I assume they'll both get a min of 3 weeks off so won't come to Spurs till early Sept.
Just checked and in 2016, Son played in the Olympics with South Korea and they got knocked out of the QF on the 13th August (same day as our first game of 2016-2017 season against Everton).
Son didn't play until 10th September when we beat Stoke 4-0 and he scored 2 goals. That's 28 days before he played.

If Gil got to the final on the 7th August and had at least 28 days before he played, he would miss City, Wolves and Watford, as well as both of the conference league play off legs and would be first available on 11th September against Palace.

It’s a requirement that players are allowed a 3 week break between seasons. Which is actually very little when you think of the times they are expected to be available to train and play.

But as a teenager, he could waive this, he doesn't look like one to need time in an elite resort, more a football anorak.

Though for VitD assisting the move north to London, it would help him being near a beach for 2 weeks at least...

On prompted reflection, hope he has a break, strengthen those bones, before getting battered in the prem next season, gonna be tough for the lad when defenders realise how awkward he is.

Just checked and in 2016, Son played in the Olympics with South Korea and they got knocked out of the QF on the 13th August (same day as our first game of 2016-2017 season against Everton).
Son didn't play until 10th September when we beat Stoke 4-0 and he scored 2 goals. That's 28 days before he played.

If Gil got to the final on the 7th August and had at least 28 days before he played, he would miss City, Wolves and Watford, as well as both of the conference league play off legs and would be first available on 11th September against Palace.
I think Son had a broken arm (or another hand injury) which caused him to miss a few weeks after the Olympics. We were willing to let him go to the Olympics this year as well. I doubt we'd do that if Son was gonna miss the first month of the season due to that. Especially as he's already exempt from military services.

La Liga ended on 23rd May and the Olympics started on 23rd July. Gil must have had a decent break in those two months. I remember Kane went on a short holiday in between the end of the PL season and the start of Euros. So, players can obviously take a holiday before a tournament starts (especially one starting 2 months after the season ends).

Didn't even come on today, did he?

Seems like he's not exactly being run into the ground.
He probably doesn’t need a physical break but it’s in humane to expect him to work for 2 years straight without a break. Check the news on Ben Stokes for the issues this among other circumstances can cause.

The player does have some discretion regarding the 21 day advisory break, as newly married Juan Foyth showed in 2019:

--------------------------------------------

Juan Foyth explains why he postponed his honeymoon for Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino​

The young Argentine was straight back into the action with Spurs despite his wedding
Juan Foyth shouldn't have even been on Tottenham's tour to Singapore and Shanghai.

The 21-year-old Argentina defender had only played for his country in the Copa America third place play-off match on July 6 and while other clubs moaned about their players needing extra time off due to UEFA's advisory 21-day rest after international competition, Foyth was boarding a plane to Asia just 11 days after the match in Brazil.
That wasn't even the biggest thing in Foyth's summer. Just days before the team left for the tour he married his childhood sweetheart Ariana back in Argentina.
"It was fantastic. I dreamed all my life of this moment. I like the family. It was a great night. My family and friends were there and me and my wife enjoyed it a lot," he said.
Yet there was no romantic honeymoon to be had as Foyth returned back to England just days after the ceremony.
"I spoke with all the staff and we made a decision together to come back early for the pre-season," he said.
He added with a smile: "I think next summer I can have a honeymoon. Maybe Shanghai!"

Juan Foyth explains why he postponed his honeymoon for Pochettino

Didn't even come on today, did he?

Seems like he's not exactly being run into the ground.

Yeah, but he's just coming out of a key growth phase, and may still be in a late growth spirt.

To ensure his bones are able to form as well as possible for the next 10-15years, it's best he gets beach time and calcium/magnesium supps, deferred gratification type deal. He'll wilt in winter if not.

They def could of passed to him more, he may of got a goal if they did. His defender seemed to have him beat for speed and strength when he tried to get passed him. I like this type of signing but think it may take some time to handle the prem.

They def could of passed to him more, he may of got a goal if they did. His defender seemed to have him beat for speed and strength when he tried to get passed him. I like this type of signing but think it may take some time to handle the prem.
Thanks, didn't see anything of this in the highlights. Key stuff, was the defender very dynamic looking and agile, if you recall?

He beat his fullback a couple of times from what I remember.

Looks to have a great first touch and balance to confuse defenders
Hard to gauge what he could do in the prem at this stage though.

Back
Top Bottom