Burnley (A) 2/9 Sat 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sheffield United after the International break, then Liverpool, and Woolwich.

By the end of those three games we will have some idea on the progress Ange is making, but we need to expect one or two disappointments ahead of us.

Not trying to piss all over todays showing but the true litmus test lies ahead.

COYS!

I just love seeing all the players buy into the system and identity. Burnley had a strong 20 mins and were leading 1-0 and we never got away from playing our game.

Players have really bought in and it shows

Funny to say but I think Kane may have g been sucking all the gravity out of the team. Seem to be more free now
There’s actually an American sports concept for this, the Ewing Theory:

“A theory hashed by ESPN.com writer Bill Simmons and his friend Dave Cirilli. It that explains the reason why teams inexplicably become better after their star playerleaves the team for any reason (trade, injury, etc.). Two elements must be present for a situation to be explained by the Ewing Theory: 1) The team has a star player who receives a lot of attention but never wins anything, and 2) The star player leaves the team and everybody writes the team off.

Example: The Knicks lose Patrick Ewing to an injury in a 1999 NBA playoff series with the Indiana Pacers. Everyone writes them off. The Knicks then win three of the next four games and win the series to advance to the NBA finals.”

Hard to say it doesn’t fit the Kane situation to a T.

Funny to say but I think Kane may have g been sucking all the gravity out of the team. Seem to be more free now

I wouldn't reach too heavily for these kinds of conclusions.....

Both Conte & Jose would have fostered an oppressive, un-expressive atmosphere.......

Ange vibes and expressive football will have gone a LONG way.

Lots to like about this performance, caveated by the opposition obviously. First 15 minutes were a mess, partly due to Burnley's early energy and high press. It took us a little while to figure it out, but once we started playing through it, we pretty much dominated the rest of the game - ball wise. Without the ball not always quite as effective, our forward pressing can be a bit lax and allow teams to play out too easily at times, but it's usually mopped up by the midfield, auxiliary midfield (ie fb's) or the quick snapping CB's (particularly Romero).

There’s still the odd messy moment when a team breaks our press, and Porro is defensively weak, and there are issues that will be more worrying when we are playing quality teams.

Maddison was really good, and has impressed me since arriving, not just with his on ball stuff, but with his tactical awareness and off ball work, popping up in deep areas and helping us play through presses. And I am fucking loving, loving Bissouma. I always liked him, in France and Brighton, but it's like he's gone up a level this season to anything before. I had some slight doubts about his off ball discipline and ability but without the ball he's been almost as good as with it, and with it and on it he's been fucking outstanding. Super composed and pressure resistant, but also makes good and progressive choices with the ball. The ability to have his pressure resistance in that pivotal remit is absolutely crucial to Ange's approach.

Some of the goals we scored to today were really fucking nice. That Son dink is possibly my favourite Son goal ever, such a clever finish, I love a dink. The Son hatrick goal where we play out of trouble at the back and Maddison picks it up deep and drives a pass through two players to Porro, who then plays a divinely arced through ball to Son, who finished adroitly was lovely incisive football.

Liked the energy that Soloman brought, two good assists, a couple of haywire moments but generally would much rather him out there than Kulusevski. Really surprised he got hooked not Kulusevski.

The two we conceded were still a bit of a worry. Porro is a real give/take player. Good going forward, very suspect going backwards.

The front bunch can be very porous. If Johnson starts, I hope him and Soloman makes us a bit better more aggressive in the forward press.

Last edited:
Just watched MOTD. It is so nice to see the players so happy. These wins really mean a lot to them.
Agreed, but not just the win - they're being allowed to play football, take risks without fear of being berated or hung out to dry by a gutless manager, they're enjoying the way we're playing, and they're playing better as a result. Which of course is fantastic. :)

I wouldn't reach too heavily for these kinds of conclusions.....

Both Conte & Jose would have fostered an oppressive, un-expressive atmosphere.......

Ange vibes and expressive football will have gone a LONG way.
And if we lost a couple of games its because kane left. Media shite

Also loved the way Vicario celebrated that save like he'd scored a goal at 1-3
The deflection made it even more impressive
Sometimes, a save like that is as good as a goal.

Starting to think I may need to eat some humble pie on this one

Back
Top Bottom