Nice articulate factual and correct post bit wasted on here. Was frustrating to get up there and enter the ground for the game to be postponed but feel it was the right decision - got to see plenty of Burnley players heading to their cars on the way out and they were a thoroughly decent bunch even apologising for the game being off and wishing us a safe journey homeInteresting set of complaints.
Just in case a few facts would be welcome:
1. Burnley have had undersoil heating since 2010 or possibly earlier.
2. It has been switched on since Wednesday.
3. It heats the soil, not the surface, so makes very little difference to snow.
4. The snow was not forecast in anything like that quantity. (If it had been, your team would have set off sooner in order to arrive on time.)
5. There is no advantage to Burnley in postponing the match so our suspended players will be back, because they just miss theWolves match instead. And none of the injured players are in the first XI.
6. The ref makes the decision, not the club.
I do like the idea of pitch covers, though. The question is when to place them and when to lift them? If the match is kicking off at 2 pm, and the snow falls from 12 noon to 2,30, when would be a suitable time to start removing the covers?
As for delaying the match by two or three hours, that's one you need to ask the PL about. Traditionally it has been thought to be unfair on fans to postpone less than an hour from kickoff, but if the majority of fans think that the game should not be postponed until say 3 hours after the kickoff time, then I'm sure it would be considered. I'm not sure all that many fans would be in favour of the idea of hanging around in the snow for 4 hours and then having it postponed, even if sometimes like today the weather would change and the ground become fit. I suspect the police and ground safety might have something to say as well.
I look forward to seeing you at the rearranged match! If it's January night match, we'll try and arrange a minus 7 degree frost. The undersoil heating will be fine, but the players will be bloody cold!