Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, I remember when it meant something very, very different, before The Guardian started going on about it and it became hilarious bAnTz. At first it used to mean someone mercurial, outrageously gifted but fragile and frustrating at the same time. Glenn was the epitome of "Spursy", so were the likes of Anderton and Berba. It was a word only we used, it defined something about Tottenham, how we idolised Hoddle while United fans had Bryan Robson, others cooed about their "beasts" like Makalele or Roy Keane while we cherished our Sick Note and so on. If you wanted take the "unlucky" route, it would be John White, set to be a legend of the game (my brother in law is 73, he still says he's the best Tottenham player he's ever seen), then killed by a freak bolt of lightning. Proper Spursy - not his tragic death so much but rather his ethereal genius

Of course we can't reclaim it, the newfan cunts who laugh out loud out loud at us as they post on The Guardian comments after a match, the ones who wank over Bielsa because he sits on a bucket and love the narrative, you all know the types. So yeah, bin it, I'm sick of it.

You want Spursy defined in 8 seconds?

I think that what you say is equally important, and let's face it, because of the history of the club, it's also part of our identity, part of what defines us.
I don't really give much shit about using the word or not and I don't think we should fall into the trap of whether this word is orthodox or not for us, that would be comical.
What I feel very passionate about is that the more positivity there is around our club, the better. Sometimes you read a match thread or a discussion about a player and you think: "fuck me, some fans are really addicted to pain and failure, aren't they?"

What are you, the Word Police?

'Spursy' Stays. I'd go so far as to make a special T-Shirt.
No I'm not. It was a suggestion. How do you define Spursy ? Is it in any way a positive adjective to you ? Genuinely interested.
What I also suggested was a poll to see what everyone thought of dumping it. Hardly Word Police.

Thing is, I remember when it meant something very, very different, before The Guardian started going on about it and it became hilarious bAnTz. At first it used to mean someone mercurial, outrageously gifted but fragile and frustrating at the same time. Glenn was the epitome of "Spursy", so were the likes of Anderton and Berba. It was a word only we used, it defined something about Tottenham, how we idolised Hoddle while United fans had Bryan Robson, others cooed about their "beasts" like Makalele or Roy Keane while we cherished our Sick Note and so on. If you wanted take the "unlucky" route, it would be John White, set to be a legend of the game (my brother in law is 73, he still says he's the best Tottenham player he's ever seen), then killed by a freak bolt of lightning. Proper Spursy - not his tragic death so much but rather his ethereal genius

Of course we can't reclaim it, the newfan cunts who laugh out loud out loud at us as they post on The Guardian comments after a match, the ones who wank over Bielsa because he sits on a bucket and love the narrative, you all know the types. So yeah, bin it, I'm sick of it.

You want Spursy defined in 8 seconds?

How about keeping Spursy but redefining it (again) .. as 'against all odds' as that would still be something particularly identifiable with Spurs .. e.g. the team is down to the barebones, Harry and Sonny out injured, we've got a mixture of reserves and youth teams players, plus we played 48 hours earlier somewhere abroad, and we're up against a full strength well-rested Man City in a cup semi, and we stuff them 4-1 - the new Spursy?

Watching that Berba clip - what a privilege it was to watch him play for us . Unbelievable player

What a unique talent. Literally a player you pay the ticket price just to go and watch him.

When we sold him I burned my Berbatov 9 shirt in disgust, but sang my heart out when he came back for Ledley's testimonial. Again he was the best player on the pitch that night, along with Ginola.

No I'm not. It was a suggestion. How do you define Spursy ? Is it in any way a positive adjective to you ? Genuinely interested.
What I also suggested was a poll to see what everyone thought of dumping it. Hardly Word Police.

As you're asking, I define Spursy as:

adjective
flakey and unreliable, with specific reference to the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
"Just when you thought we were going to string a few wins together, we went a bit Spursy".

It's such a real thing that it has to have a word to describe it. Spursy is perfect.

adjective
flakey and unreliable, with specific reference to the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
"Just when you thought we were going to string a few wins together, we went a bit Spursy".
Thank you. Do you not think that a bit 'negative' and derogatory mate ? and perhaps something that we should now try and disassociate ourselves with ?. It's normally used when we have thrown away a lead or simply folded after an early goal is conceded. I find it really fucking annoying to see another team manager or especially a Sports pundit describe our performance as Spursy
I'm really not trying to force the issue honestly. I just wondered what the general concensus was. Didn't mean to offend or try to 'Police' the issue in any way.
:mourthumb:

Thank you. Do you not think that a bit 'negative' and derogatory mate ? and perhaps something that we should now try and disassociate ourselves with ?. It's normally used when we have thrown away a lead or simply folded after an early goal is conceded. I find it really fucking annoying to see another team manager or especially a Sports pundit describe our performance as Spursy
I'm really not trying to force the issue honestly. I just wondered what the general concensus was. Didn't mean to offend or try to 'Police' the issue in any way.
:mourthumb:

There is nothing I would love more than 'Spursy' to be a thing of the past. But if, one day, we can look back, with a cabinet room full of trophies, on how inconsistent we used to be, wouldn't it be nice to be able to say, "Remember those days when they thought we were Spursy?"

ps - not offended - I enjoy crapping on about nothing as much as the next man.

There is nothing I would love more than 'Spursy' to be a thing of the past. But if, one day, we can look back, with a cabinet room full of trophies, on how inconsistent we used to be, wouldn't it be nice to be able to say, "Remember those days when they thought we were Spursy?"

ps - not offended - I enjoy crapping on about nothing as much as the next man.
Yep I can see your point. Instead of trying to remove the word itself let's try and change the definition for the future so that Spursy refers to a great win and a superb performance.
Excellent idea. What we need to do is start using the word on social media and in here after a good result. Like on Sunday after we've won 3-1 we can say "That's fucking Spursy from now on !!"
:coys:

Yep I can see your point. Instead of trying to remove the word itself let's try and change the definition for the future so that Spursy refers to a great win and a superb performance.
Excellent idea. What we need to do is start using the word on social media and in here after a good result. Like on Sunday after we've won 3-1 we can say "That's fucking Spursy from now on !!"
:coys:

That wasn't my point at all.

adjective

It's such a real thing that it has to have a word to describe it. Spursy is perfect.

That's not what it started out meaning though.......

Now it just get's seized upon by cunts to take the piss out of us with.

Edit:The replies though...instead of announce (insert name here), it's all don't sign Rudiger...

Good lad. Amazing he came so close to quitting the game and how he has only recently become a striker after having played defence and midfield.

I saw something online that said he was only earning £8000 per week at benfica...that does not sound right.
Does anybody have any insights into this and any info on his contract with us ?

He'll have to stop speaking Russian.

It's fascinating that Carlos Vinicius openly talks about how he considered "quitting football" just a couple of seasons ago. And now he has the look of a very very happy man and player.

Hard times often add steel to the soul. Let's hope he can make the most of this opportunity, and become an important player for us.

Back
Top Bottom