Champion's League? You're having a laugh.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tricky

Supporter
Man up and LOL
Am I now the only one here that is content with us to end up where we end up?

As emotions become amplified and the 'sky sports capital letters banner scrolls' across a million screen through out the world, I sit here and honestly could not give a stuff about being in the champions league just for it's own sake.

OK, I get that you get more money, which is nice, but to what end? To pay off debts? To buy shiny new players at the expense of the players who got us there? to keep hold of mercenaries who are deemed 'too good for us'?

What price integrity? What about the 'love the shirt' ethos? are we to caveat everything with 'as long as we have progression' or 'as long as it improves the squad' to satisfy this wonder lust for playing in a competition with Europe's elite?

Especially given that Europe's elite in the group stages can at times resemble something of a European procession across the continent.

Does it really get interesting until the knock out stages?

As I watched the advert for the quarter finals for a millionth time did I start to think, 'wow I must watch that, because it will throw up some amazing ties, or even the semis (which were arguably better) to an extent.

So really, what people are hoping for is to enter a competition and hope for a good draw when you get to the knock out stages so you can progress further for......

....well for revenue it would seem. That is becoming the be all and end all to many. But always because of 'Who it means we can / could purchase', or what commercial revenue we could then seek from sponsors. Not because we could then lower ticket prices, or any other vaguely altruistic notion.

Even here, on a site born out of 'support the team no matter what' there are people stating that 'we all want to be in the Champions League' like it is some sort of mantra.

I must be losing the plot, because I've enjoyed our Europa League run, I see a team and a manager that are heading on a journey. Where that journey takes us I can never (nor would i ever be so arrogant to) predict.

But whatever 11 players step out onto the pitch. Whenever I emerge from the concrete tunnel into the glorious home to see the hallowed turf, it still sends shivers and evokes memories.

Is that not enough for some people, to accept that whilst the team will, most probably, try to do their best each game that 'what will be will be'?

Champions league? meh, not that bothered.

Just a side point but it looks like Pacos Ferreira are going to grab the 3rd CL spot in the Portuguese league. They play in a stadium with a capacity of about 5,000 and an average gate of around 1,500...should make things interesting.

I've always said I would take the league cup above finishing 4th.

I would like to win the cl of course but that isn't going to happen.

Out of a trophy or Champions League place, if I had to choose one it'll be a trophy every time.

Champions league is a nice bonus.

Our first CL campaign was special because it was our first time and we did so well. But it wouldn't be the same if we were there every season.

I dont think its "all about the CL", I think its all about what the CL can help you become.

And that is entirely seperate from enjoying whatever journey the club are on at the time.

Its a simple equation seen time and time again. (regular) CL = more money = higher fees/wages = better players = winning more football games = silverware.

Without the CL it is quite possible (probable, even) the club have reached their ceiling. I believe those who want the CL simply want the club to break through that ceiling - the CL is (to me) nothing more than a vehicle that could see us mount a title challenge in a few years (for example)

Group therapy helps, agreed

And fuck that qunt who pulls out his 911 every morning. My brand new 3 series is every bit as good

:defoe:

I got banned from a far lesser forum for objecting to some cretin who wished we finished 6th so we didn't even qualify for the Europa League next year.

The CCC

hqdefault.jpg

Easy to say when its obvious we aint getting shit from yet another season (despite spending 67M)

Id have swapped 4th for silverwear, but Im not ok with getting fuck all....again

Easy to say when it obvious we aint getting shit from another season (despite spending 67M)
Actually it is a response to the increasing frequency of 'we all want cl' posts, as each game is over-analysed and dissected by all and sundry.

I would have said exactly the same if we'd won against chavs.

In fact I have so far all season.

And I pity you, I have had excitement, entertainment, a barrel of laughs, and all sorts of shenanigans this season.

Far more than the 'shit' you appear to have had delivered.

Champions League attracts players and brings extra money in. Players that cost big money, big money that comes from

A) getting CL
B) citeh esque owners
C) rob a bank

We face the top sides in Europe..biggest and bestest grounds are ticked off the list..I can sort of see where you're coming from with the fact there's not a real enjoyment in it anymore..but ill always want to get CL..it's the only way we'll, as a club, progress

I don't think it is completely unreasonable to be disappointed with this season as a whole (assuming we miss 4th) - as some posters have alluded. Not sure how that can be used as a patronising stick to beat those down from a high horse of 'meh, we are better than the CL'. No we fucking aren't and no decent player would ever join us unless we can rake in the millions. For better or worse this is the reality of the modern football landscape - both economically, and socially (on a fans expectation level)

We all knew AVB's objectives were Top 4 - so looking to finish where we realistically belong (squad quality-wise - 5th) would qualify this season as a 'pass' to me. A very good manager would have had us perform better than the sum of our parts and finish higher than our 'current' level (4th and higher) but I'd be prepared to give AVB the benefit of the doubt this time around and look forward to next season.

However - another important question needs to be asked here (and you can relate that back all the way to Jol's days if you wish) - I only think it's fair for Levy & co. to expect CL finishes if they provide the corresponding tools. And those I'm afraid aren't Dempsey, Gallas, and Thudd, etc. With respect

I'd rather see us bring in one (1) quality signing than 3 semi-cloggers who'd probably cost more in wages anyway. And do so early in order to prepare well, not waiting for a last minute bargain fucking special and snooze the first 2-3 games.

Onwards and upwards

COYS

I agree with Tricky, the CL place would be wonderful but it's not imperative.

I get fed up of the Sky/Sun narrative, the way a win means we're the best team in the world and a loss means financial ruin, neither are true.

Whether we qualify for CL or the Europa, there will always be a Spurs and my support isn't based on what we qualify for.

This season was always going to be about a serious change, losing Modric, for me, meant we had to change the way played. We have had to adapt and deal with some horrible injuries and AVB has needed time to get it right, under the circumstances finishing top 6 is a pretty good return.

It makes me smile when we talk about expectations the same week that Fergie has retired, because it took him 3 years to get the Manchester United Machine in to gear and very few managers will get that chance, you wonder if Moyes will be given that much time...

I guess I'm saying you have to look beyonf the moment and see the bigger picture, it is not just about this season or next, it really is about the squad and manager's legacy.

Never been bothered about 4th & all the ecl bollocks..
What the fuck acheivnent is 4th apart from levy wetting himself over a few more million on the spreadsheet.

The season died in basle

I do want to play in the CL, I do want to finish above Woolwich and I do want to see a better calibre of player at Tottenham. I don't mind if we are just mediocre 7th to 12th place - my expectations/hopes would be set but we keep dangling an ankle at winning things and then slapping the hand that reaches out for a stroke - so, yes, I would like CL football, and to win the FA Cup, too.

Back
Top Bottom