Champion's League? You're having a laugh.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like Mick said, all I want is to finish above the scum. Wouldn't care if we finished 10th and they finished 11th I'd be as buzzing then as I would be if we finished above them this season.

Like Mick said, all I want is to finish above the scum. Wouldn't care if we finished 10th and they finished 11th I'd be as buzzing then as I would be if we finished above them this season.
I said something similar this week and got slated 'for only caring about them lot'.

It is just one of many comments in the last few weeks which were the seed for the OP.

Not gonna be crushed if we don't get CL but two reasons I would like us to qualify are 1) for the schadenfreude and 2) for the sake of our players who haven't been in it for whom it'd be a dream come true.

you've just described the life of a gooner there, you know.

Do you disagree with the notion of looking for all possible means of extra income regarding our stadium finance? In addition to always aiming as high as possible? The notion of non champion teams competing in the 'Champions' League is flawed at a fundamental level anyway, imv - think of it as finishing as high up the table as possible. Ambition?

For better or worse - we are run/operated as a profit-generating business - the CL is simply one of the available outlets which facilitate this process and increase our stature both financially as well as a club worldwide. If you find that contrary to your moral beliefs and value system - there is always AFC Wimbledon . . .:ossie:

Actually there are many here who fall into that bracket of the latter, by virtue of defining 'anything other than 4th is a failure'. I don't see it as a failure at all.

If we get CL, then fine. But I will support no matter what.

And they are not diametrically opposed, neither are they mutually exclusive; one (supporting the shirt) is a constant, the other (CL) is simply a by product of the game rather than anything that would inspire the former.

and again it might just be me, but I loved Maribor every bit as much as any other game we have played, including Inter.

When we lose a game against a team I know we're more than well equipped enough to beat, I deem it a failure personally. That doesn't change my support for the club, it wouldn't make me support them any less. The definition of not getting Champions League being a failure is something I don't personally agree with either, but to those that do see it that way, I don't think it's a hindrance on their support. If we are truly supporting the club through whatever, then supporting them through 'failure' should be the same.

When we lose a game against a team I know we're more than well equipped enough to beat, I deem it a failure personally. That doesn't change my support for the club, it wouldn't make me support them any less. The definition of not getting Champions League being a failure is something I don't personally agree with either, but to those that do see it that way, I don't think it's a hindrance on their support. If we are truly supporting the club through whatever, then supporting them through 'failure' should be the same.
I agree indeed it should, but I get the distinct impression it isn't.

You only have to look at the number of posts suggesting we should 'upgrade' or 'ship players out', rather than give them the opportunity to regain their previous form, or the varying knee jerk reactions on any given day about a player who is /isn't good enough for us.

That we some how 'deserve better' or worse still, that the poster has superior knowledge to the chairman and manager as to which players to buy / sell.

To an increasing number, support is not only tempered by 'failure' (usually of their own definition) it very much is contingent.

You only have to look at the number of posts suggesting we should 'upgrade' or 'ship players out', rather than give them the opportunity to regain their previous form,

So aspiring to improve the team is considered in your books knee-jerking?

I agree indeed it should, but I get the distinct impression it isn't.

You only have to look at the number of posts suggesting we should 'upgrade' or 'ship players out', rather than give them the opportunity to regain their previous form, or the varying knee jerk reactions on any given day about a player who is /isn't good enough for us.

That we some how 'deserve better' or worse still, that the poster has superior knowledge to the chairman and manager as to which players to buy / sell.

To an increasing number, support is not only tempered by 'failure' (usually of their own definition) it very much is contingent.

I think it's fair to say maybe people just get a bit carried away sometimes.

While there is no arguing that many of us on this forum (in fact Spurs fans as a whole) will support the team ''no matter what''...we still want what is best for this club. We are in the business of football. And, like any good businessmen, we want our company (in this analogy THFC) to succeed. How do we do this? Each season, we give ourselves goals that we aim to achieve. We try to build on these small successes each year so that one day we might reach the ''holy grail'' of a Premier League or European championship. This is the pinnacle of the business we are in. We don't want it once or twice. We want to reach the top and stay there. We want to fucking WIN for Christs sake. Now if we go out with this mindset that CL football ''isn't what it's cracked up to be'' and that we should be happy and/or content with what we have this season simply because we'll support the club anyway or just to spite Sky's over hyping bullshit then I'm sorry to say...you're in the wrong business. We all love the club. But sentimentality isn't going to get you much in the long term. (Liverpool have been plagued with it throughout the Premier League era).

The process is simple. CL=more money. CL=more (better) players. CL=keeping our best players (I'm talking almost exclusively about Bale here.) In a nutshell...CL=a greater chance of success. And we all want success for this club don't we? Gareth Bale isn't going to stand around and be content with 5th. How do you want potential signings to view this club? As an ambitious, hungry, sleeping giant which has shown improvement year after year? Or as a stagnant, stale, sleeping baby that is content with what they have?

We may not like what football has become. But it is what it is. If you want to play with the big boys then we have to play by the big boys rules.

As Alec Baldwin beautifully put it:

'Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you go home and play with your kids.'

'You don't like it...leave.'

I'm, quite frankely, disappointed by this post and some people agreeing with it. You should want your club to do the best, and be the biggest they can. Aren't you tired of hearing "you're just a small club" from all the gooners? You know what the only way to fix that is? The Champions League. Qualifying for the Champions League doesn't just get us more money, it doesn't just attract better players, it boosts our reputation as a club as a whole. With it, we can get the players we need, or keep the best ones we have and we can finally end all of the gooners shit talking that we've been dealing with over all these years.

You're argument about keeping and buying mercenaries just doesn't make any sense to me because these days, almost all players are mercenaries. I can only think of a few off the top of my head that are truly loyal to their team, with those being Totti, Giggs, Zanetti, Scholes, Gerrard, and Terry. Do you blame them for being mercenaries though? I don't one bit. If I were a footballer, I would do my best to become the best possible, and to make the most money possible to make sure my family is provided for long after I retire. I would want to win trophies, and as many as possible. Here, we haven't won a whole lot of trophies. The only way we're going to be able to do that is with players like Bale, Vertonghen, Dembele, and players of that quality. The only way we'll keep them and attract more players of this quality is to qualify for the champions league.

Also, about your knee-jerk reactions, sure a lot of people make quick judgements based on too small of a sample size. However, we have watched a whole season now and we have enough to judge players. In my opinion, Parker needs to be sold. He simply doesn't fit in AVB's system and moves the ball too slow. While he may have been player of the year last year, he doesn't fit and it wont work. He has proven that over the season. Ade is the same. He was great last year, but he has had one or two good games over the course of a year. That is not good enough and is not acceptable in my opinion.

At the end of the day, I will be a Spurs fan no matter what we do. But I want this club to achieve what I know we are capable of. We have a great team and are a few quality players short of challenging for a title, in my opinion. Wouldn't you guys love to see a title run from this team? Nothing would be greater to me. That can only happen if we first make the champions league. However, if we don't make it, life will go on. I will still love this club and I will fully support it. We just have so much potential, wasting it would be a shame.

So aspiring to improve the team is considered in your books knee-jerking?
don't be an idiot, knee jerking is knee jerking and has been more than evident here in spades as the season has progressed (dempsey, ade, bae, siggy to name but a few). It doesn't have to correlate to wanting to ship players out, hence the use of the word 'or' in the sentence.

I personally would aspire to improve the team by stability not continuous replacement. I don't automatically equate 'improvement' with 'replacement' which a great many do. I hear at the lane many comments about player 'limitations' like they attend every training session or are in any way qualified to make such statements.

People underestimate the value of knowing your team mates and playing regularly, I sometimes wonder if anyone has ever played before with a regular team and has improved without replacing people, no matter what level they play at.

I'm, quite frankely, disappointed by this post and some people agreeing with it. You should want your club to do the best, and be the biggest they can. Aren't you tired of hearing "you're just a small club" from all the gooners? You know what the only way to fix that is? The Champions League. Qualifying for the Champions League doesn't just get us more money, it doesn't just attract better players, it boosts our reputation as a club as a whole. With it, we can get the players we need, or keep the best ones we have and we can finally end all of the gooners shit talking that we've been dealing with over all these years.

You're argument about keeping and buying mercenaries just doesn't make any sense to me because these days, almost all players are mercenaries. I can only think of a few off the top of my head that are truly loyal to their team, with those being Totti, Giggs, Zanetti, Scholes, Gerrard, and Terry. Do you blame them for being mercenaries though? I don't one bit. If I were a footballer, I would do my best to become the best possible, and to make the most money possible to make sure my family is provided for long after I retire. I would want to win trophies, and as many as possible. Here, we haven't won a whole lot of trophies. The only way we're going to be able to do that is with players like Bale, Vertonghen, Dembele, and players of that quality. The only way we'll keep them and attract more players of this quality is to qualify for the champions league.

Also, about your knee-jerk reactions, sure a lot of people make quick judgements based on too small of a sample size. However, we have watched a whole season now and we have enough to judge players. In my opinion, Parker needs to be sold. He simply doesn't fit in AVB's system and moves the ball too slow. While he may have been player of the year last year, he doesn't fit and it wont work. He has proven that over the season. Ade is the same. He was great last year, but he has had one or two good games over the course of a year. That is not good enough and is not acceptable in my opinion.

At the end of the day, I will be a Spurs fan no matter what we do. But I want this club to achieve what I know we are capable of. We have a great team and are a few quality players short of challenging for a title, in my opinion. Wouldn't you guys love to see a title run from this team? Nothing would be greater to me. That can only happen if we first make the champions league. However, if we don't make it, life will go on. I will still love this club and I will fully support it. We just have so much potential, wasting it would be a shame.

Three things:

one: why should we all want to be 'the biggest'? It is easy to respond to 'small club' comments form gooners frankly, they are a corporate soul-less entity. They have priced out genuine fans for their thrity pieces of silver.

Second of all: we managed to attract vertonghen, bale and dembele without CL? so the notion that we 'need CL' to attract 'perceived quality' is factually incorrect.

three; what qualifies your opinion about who should stay or go? Call it curiosity.

Regarding "not getting fourth is a failure", failure is a very strong word, but AVB has repeatedly said that his objective this year is CL. So if the coach considers the season a failure, I'm not sure I'd disagree.

We can all be gutted we didnt make the Champions league, moan about it. Whinge about how if Adebayor had scored a couple more goals we might of picked up a couple more points, and maybe we'd be sitting pretty in third right now. But the fact is, everything we say and everything we do, wont change diddly fucking squat.
We'll still be back next season, supporting the team. Because we're Tottenham fans.

I personally would rather be in as many competitions as we can win, to have the most chance of us getting something. There needs to be a balance between "Lets just enjoy the good times" and "lets win some fucking silverware"

Also the "We need champions league to attract top players" argument is wanky bullshit. The majority, if not all of our team were signed WITHOUT the guarantee of playing in the Champions league.

The majority of the time its more to do with offering them more money than the other teams that want them, and Levy putting on his most charming attitude and saying all the right things.

In all seriousness, I'd follow and go Spurs even if we were in the conference, but the chance to see us play R Madrid, Inter (yeah I know about this season just gone, in the EL) and Milan etc gives me the horn.

Three things:

one: why should we all want to be 'the biggest'? It is easy to respond to 'small club' comments form gooners frankly, they are a corporate soul-less entity. They have priced out genuine fans for their thrity pieces of silver.

Second of all: we managed to attract vertonghen, bale and dembele without CL? so the notion that we 'need CL' to attract 'perceived quality' is factually incorrect.

three; what qualifies your opinion about who should stay or go? Call it curiosity.
1. I want would love us to win some trophies, to be one of the best teams in the world. I don't understand why you don't wnat that.

2. You're right, we definitely can attract great players, but we need to keep them now. Modric, Carrick, Berbatov, all have left, who is to say that these three wont? If we stay where we are, this trend of getting great players then having to replace them will continue and we'll be stuck where we are now.

3. I wish you would leave out such a childish question so wouldn't have to waste my time explaining and we can have an actually have a serious debate. My opinion has nothing to do with what will actually happen. That is exactly why I included those two words in there, because thhat is what I believe. Some may agree with me, and others might not. I really don't care if you do or don't but at least explain it so we can talk about it and have a debate. Your argument about keeping players that we have because they know each other doesn't make any sense to me. Dembele and Vertonghen slotted right in without trouble and quickly became our best players.

I just cant wrap my head around the fact that your ok with being the odd club out and being the team that is constantly behind the big four. It doesn't make any sense to me.

1. I want would love us to win some trophies, to be one of the best teams in the world. I don't understand why you don't wnat that.

2. You're right, we definitely can attract great players, but we need to keep them now. Modric, Carrick, Berbatov, all have left, who is to say that these three wont? If we stay where we are, this trend of getting great players then having to replace them will continue and we'll be stuck where we are now.

3. I wish you would leave out such a childish question so wouldn't have to waste my time explaining and we can have an actually have a serious debate. My opinion has nothing to do with what will actually happen. That is exactly why I included those two words in there, because thhat is what I believe. Some may agree with me, and others might not. I really don't care if you do or don't but at least explain it so we can talk about it and have a debate. Your argument about keeping players that we have because they know each other doesn't make any sense to me. Dembele and Vertonghen slotted right in without trouble and quickly became our best players.

I just cant wrap my head around the fact that your ok with being the odd club out and being the team that is constantly behind the big four. It doesn't make any sense to me.
1. I would prefer nothing more than trophies. But that is different to being 'the biggest club' which was your issue you said you had with gooners. You can win stuff as even Pompey and Swansea have proven, without being 'the biggest club'.

2. by your own admission pure conjecture.

3. not childish, at all if you make a statement about which players should stay or go, i am curious to know on what basis you could possibly justify that statement.

And I loved the club long before 'top 4' was copyrighted by sky. And I was OK with that then, and the circle of all things suggests that one day we will be there again, and I will still be OK. in the same way that i know Forrest fans who still support their club since the early 80's. etc, etc, etc.

Cl is merely a nice to have for me, not the be all and end all.

I still can't get my head around the fact that he thought we played well in the europa league.......

:)

I'm guessing what tricky is saying is that we don't all have to start freefalling off the clifton suspension bridge just because we didn't get CL (if indeed that happens) that we will still all wake up the next morning, go to work - and support Spurs when the next season kicks off

I think its inevitable that we will flog Bale, unless he has some unbelievable Epiphany that convinces him that a combination of white shirts, cockerels and whiney football fans will give him a massive whanger (or whatever it is that motivates him) - if we fail to make the grade next season. We will then do what we have done for the last few seasons, find another Modric, Berbatov or Bale and stag on.

If we keep him, I think he will be motivation for better players to sign on, and we may even get a Moutinho, Higuain or Pele, who knows?

WTF
I'll still believe that we are going to win the league, until its mathematically impossible to do so (round about the end of September usually!) and I will still support Spurs.

What else is there in life, apart from your health to worry about?

anyway, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Back
Top Bottom