Champion's League? You're having a laugh.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still can't get my head around the fact that he thought we played well in the europa league.......

:)

I'm guessing what tricky is saying is that we don't all have to start freefalling off the clifton suspension bridge just because we didn't get CL (if indeed that happens) that we will still all wake up the next morning, go to work - and support Spurs when the next season kicks off

I think its inevitable that we will flog Bale, unless he has some unbelievable Epiphany that convinces him that a combination of white shirts, cockerels and whiney football fans will give him a massive whanger (or whatever it is that motivates him) - if we fail to make the grade next season. We will then do what we have done for the last few seasons, find another Modric, Berbatov or Bale and stag on.

If we keep him, I think he will be motivation for better players to sign on, and we may even get a Moutinho, Higuain or Pele, who knows?

WTF
I'll still believe that we are going to win the league, until its mathematically impossible to do so (round about the end of September usually!) and I will still support Spurs.

What else is there in life, apart from your health to worry about?

anyway, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Of course we will all keep supporting Spurs no matter what. Of course there are more important things than football. However, we need to look at this in the most logical way possible. In order for this Club to be successful and attract/keep the players we want to attract/keep...then we need CL football. Once we get CL football we need to start pushing for titles and more success. Otherwise...what's the point?

HOLY SHIT!
We got 2.5 million for Anthony Gardner?

what for? Medical research, vital organs?
tbf, there was a lot of him. I think that was his scrap value. After that much surgery, and the global price increase in titanium, we were probably unlucky not to get more.

If we can go out and win our final two games and finish the season on 72 points I won't have a lick of regret even if we miss out on Champion's league.

We could very well have our greatest PL season points wise ever in AVB's first season with all the injuries and offseason losses we've had. Regardless of finish there is a massive amount to be proud of this season.

Actually there are many here who fall into that bracket of the latter, by virtue of defining 'anything other than 4th is a failure'. ...

I wouldn't see it as a failure, we're in a transitional season. Not a transitional season like that which the Chelsea bellend was on here complaining about yesterday, either – every year will be transitional for them cunts while they are ruled by the oil gangster.

For AVB to get us within a couple of points off where we ended up last season without Modric, VDV and King in his first season is fair enough.

I said at the start of the season that sixth upwards would be good. Next season is the true test for AVB. I've got faith in the man. And in Levy as it goes.

I wasnt criticising our turnover, or the way we balance the books.

The point is, that we still spent 61.5M on players (Id happily swap Dempsey and, Siggy for Moutinho btw), and while 4th is not the be all and end all of things (see my views in the "EL or 4th" thread if anyone needs clarification of my exact thoughts on that) I am not going to feel like coming 5th behind Woolwich wont hurt.

I would take it with silverwear, happily, and imo our squad should be more than capable of reaching a domestic final. (Wigan, Swansea and Bradford managed it)
I also think we were poor against Basle, and it grates me that we are becoming the annual nearly men.

I dont believe 4th brings top players and bags of cash, I argued aggressively against that notion, and said several times Id swap the EL for CL qualification 3 years on the spin....but in isolation 4th is fuck all. We did it once, and I dont think we are any better off than we would be now, had we never qualified. VDV and Modric still left, and we still dont have a top striker.

But at this stage, should we miss out, when you consider we were 7pts above The Scum when we beat them, yet they went on to pick up 17pts in their next 7 games, and we picked up 8, I will extend the same courtesy to the team that I did last season and regard the seasons end as another capitulation.

I know its a transitional season, but several players have not played well enough, several team selections and approaches to games have failed, and as I said when AVB took over, 4th is the bare minimum if we dont go all the way and win a cup.

don't be an idiot, knee jerking is knee jerking and has been more than evident here in spades as the season has progressed (dempsey, ade, bae, siggy to name but a few). It doesn't have to correlate to wanting to ship players out, hence the use of the word 'or' in the sentence.

I personally would aspire to improve the team by stability not continuous replacement. I don't automatically equate 'improvement' with 'replacement' which a great many do. I hear at the lane many comments about player 'limitations' like they attend every training session or are in any way qualified to make such statements.

People underestimate the value of knowing your team mates and playing regularly, I sometimes wonder if anyone has ever played before with a regular team and has improved without replacing people, no matter what level they play at.

I think the only 'idiot' here would be none other than yourself for shoe-horning all fans into your little category of some random mugs you experienced at the Lane - nothing like a bit of generalising, eh?

If you think players like Gallas and Gomes would miraculously improve their form in the future and become world beaters by simply training harder - that is your prerogative. But by all - means DO refrain for knocking those down who would like to see reasonable squad concerns addressed in the upcoming transfer window

Having given up on running Glory Glory (either literally, or down the shitter) Arcspace now starts a campaign of dictating to posters on the Fighting Cock forum.
Sweet.........

I think the only 'idiot' here would be none other than yourself for shoe-horning all fans into your little category of some random mugs you experienced at the Lane - nothing like a bit of generalising, eh?

If you think players like Gallas and Gomes would miraculously improve their form in the future and become world beaters by simply training harder - that is your prerogative. But by all - means DO refrain for knocking those down who would like to see reasonable squad concerns addressed in the upcoming transfer window
Since when did I attribute the comments of a select few to being 'all' fans? That is (yet another) disingenuous comment at best.

I am more than aware that not all fans try and belittle our own players, whilst they play for us. It's just that some do, and as someone rightly pointed out earlier, whether it because of the medium of the internet or the person using it, quite often those comments go well over the top. I refer to them as 'idiots'.

As for the squad, have you considered that experience in the squad is sometimes useful. As for your examples Gomes would be a great third choice keeper, has played PL and Europa. Gallas as fifth choice CB? About the same, but I suspect that as his contract is up it will become a non-issue for all.

Similarly I never suggested they would become 'world beaters', you seem to be exaggerating what I am saying or reducing the point to an absurdity. Not sure if it is for comedic effect, but it seems a little odd.

It was more the comments I have heard towards: dempsey, bae, rose (when he was here and since being on loan), siggy & ade (among others including Bale sometimes). Without the benefit of giving them a full season, often on the basis of one game and most importantly without the full set of information about those players and what they do on a day to day basis (what injuries they may be carrying, how they train, what plans they have been set, role in the team as part of the wider tactics, etc).

And yes you're still an idiot. But gosh darned it a lovable one sometimes. Like an angry Jack Russell puppy.

:adebaehug:

This thread is just some defeatist bullshit :avbnaa: .
Not at all, I am more positive about this team having seen most of the season, than I was at the start. I think we have performed well at times, broken some hoodoos, but been inconsistent. So I don't think we will deserve any more than we will get.

I agree with this post! I would actually rather be in the Europa league as we are more likely to win it. Plus getting tickets home and away are a lot easier.

however finishing above woolich and The chavs is much more important!!

tricky , the team had an objective - to play in the Champions League next season. They failed. Well, there is still a chance, but that is not the point.

There is nothing wrong with admitting a failure. Yes, we failed, we need to become stronger and try harder next year.

But you take a defeatist stance
Champions league? meh, not that bothered.
Fuck that faggot shit.
It's just as bad as being a knee jerker, or believing in the values SkySports preach.

I'd fucking love to be in the Champions' League.

Isn't this thread the equivalent of chatting up a girl in a bar, she responds with "sorry, love, I'm not interested" and you go "fuck off, I wasn't even talking to you."

I gave you an thumps up for the OP tricky, not because I agreed with it all, but I think it's a worthy post with many good points made in it.

Of course the excitement of seeing the best teams at the Lane is a nice thought. And while we are so close to making it, it will be a punch in the balls, especially as Woolwich and Chavs would the 3rd/4th.

One of the main reasons for me though is that I want us in the Champion's League to enable us to increase the revenue, I do. Not for the "sake of having more money", but what an increased revenue could do for Spurs, better player, pay the ones we have better(Bale, Lloris etc), bring us a step closer towards the new stadium and there's more. We are trying to establish ourselves as a top club in the country, but we've got 5 teams with bigger resources than us. Looking at how we seem to slowly improve our development structure and how we have build one of the best training grounds in the world is a sign that we move in the right direction. But, it's a process, it shouldn't stop there. I'm patient though..

As Spurs fans we didn't become Spurs fans because we were winning titles, but we still love it when we win things, don't we? There is nothing wrong for Spurs fans to wish for us to be more successful in the future and win titles and cups like Woolwich (been a while though I'd agree!), Chavs and the rest of the top teams do. To be able to do that we must increase our income long term or be happy with one trophy a decade. Unless we want to ignore the FFP we must build a stadium for the long term and take part in the circus that is the Champion's League regularly. Not that it's really a 'League' for Champions, but it's there and for the immediate future it's a decent chance of increasing our cash flow.

If we finish 5th I'll be disappointed, but there's always next season. I think I'll be more stressed with fellow fans that will no doubt see it as the end of the world though! I'm Tottenham Till I Die anyway so I'll just enjoy the ups and downs in the meantime. And I love it, Champion's League or not! In the end, the love for Spurs is much more important than any league position.

Back
Top Bottom