Champion's League? You're having a laugh.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tricky , the team had an objective - to play in the Champions League next season. They failed. Well, there is still a chance, but that is not the point.

There is nothing wrong with admitting a failure. Yes, we failed, we need to become stronger and try harder next year.

But you take a defeatist stance

Fuck that faggot shit.
It's just as bad as being a knee jerker, or believing in the values SkySports preach.

Can't help but feel this. If we had a high chance of making the CL , this post wouldn't have even been thought of.

And yes I'm gonna be bad if we don't get CL , just because we were so close.... again :defoe:

I'd fucking love to be in the Champions' League.

Isn't this thread the equivalent of chatting up a girl in a bar, she responds with "sorry, love, I'm not interested" and you go "fuck off, I wasn't even talking to you."
Not at all. It is much more about a 'sense of perspective'.

I almost composed this a couple of months ago, but as with everything maybe the timing would have led to different responses form some.

It is much more equivalent to 'what did the Romans ever do for us?'

I would take the FA Cup over getting fourth place, and I agree that there is a bit too much focus on the Champions League maybe. From August onwards, every game is seen in the context of its impact on our hopes of getting into the CL.

Sometimes it feels like you can't just enjoy the game for what it is. When I was growing up all I cared about was that week's game, just as a highlight to the week really. Now every defeat is analysed to death and seen as a massive blot on the manager's CV.

Having said all that, I'd still love for us to be playing the Milans, Munichs, and Madrids, and so when we find ourselves in a battle for fourth at the end of the season, I'm still gutted if we don't make it.

If we can go out and win our final two games and finish the season on 72 points I won't have a lick of regret even if we miss out on Champion's league.

We could very well have our greatest PL season points wise ever in AVB's first season with all the injuries and offseason losses we've had. Regardless of finish there is a massive amount to be proud of this season.

Thats a great outlook, and one I wish I could share, and should we win our last two, it would make our run in 18pts from the last 8 games.

Thats an excellent return, but there is no way I could look at that, and not regret gifting Liverpool the points at Anfield, and playing so poorly against Fulham.

IMO, we didnt do enough at Wigan either. Cant win em all of course, but when missing out could come down to 1pt, or GD, games like Liverpool away and Norwich at home could be the difference between keeping and selling Bale. Simple as that.

Bale is staying.

Playing in the Champions League is a privilege and a wonderful one, but all I seem to be reading in the media and on message boards is, "we get CL and we keep Bale." Bale is staying another season regardless.

What we should be talking about is how to play Bale and how best to accommodate his unique style of play. Building a team around him capable of a real challenge on all fronts. We can do this, even with our limited finances.

AVB has had a good first season. If we fail to reach our goal then we have failed. We have failed before, and in much worse circumstances. AVB and the players will take responsibility but it is no reason to judge them too harshly if we tally the same amount of points as last year or a few more.

We will be fine.

Bale is staying.

Playing in the Champions League is a privilege and a wonderful one, but all I seem to be reading in the media and on message boards is, "we get CL and we keep Bale." Bale is staying another season regardless.

You know something AVB doesnt then...?

And Tottenham boss Villas-Boas has been told Bale will stay if Spurs are able to secure their passage into Europe's elite club competition.
"That's the information that I have from the club," Villas-Boas said. "The club is committed to keeping the best assets. That's the only way that we can ensure that we are in the top-four every year."

ESPN

You know something AVB doesnt then...?

And Tottenham boss Villas-Boas has been told Bale will stay if Spurs are able to secure their passage into Europe's elite club competition.
"That's the information that I have from the club," Villas-Boas said. "The club is committed to keeping the best assets. That's the only way that we can ensure that we are in the top-four every year."

ESPN

I thought those were later refuted?

But the Spurs boss back-tracked on Thursday, stating his comments had been misunderstood, and said he would be surprised if the 23-year-old left White Hart Lane.
Villas-Boas said: "The information that I have from the club, which was mistakenly written about last week, is that the player is here to remain, independent of the objectives of Champions League qualification being achieved or not.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-Gareth-Bale-will-leave-Tottenham-this-summer

I thought those were later refuted?

But the Spurs boss back-tracked on Thursday, stating his comments had been misunderstood, and said he would be surprised if the 23-year-old left White Hart Lane.
Villas-Boas said: "The information that I have from the club, which was mistakenly written about last week, is that the player is here to remain, independent of the objectives of Champions League qualification being achieved or not.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-Gareth-Bale-will-leave-Tottenham-this-summer

Great to hear..I never saw that. If true then thats a massive boost...although he did urge Bale to sign an extension yesterday in order to "put to bed" the rumours of him leaving...

Either way, we have one more year to get it right Id say..

Great to hear..I never saw that. If true then thats a massive boost...although he did urge Bale to sign an extension yesterday in order to "put to bed" the rumours of him leaving...

Either way, we have one more year to get it right Id say..

I'm not sure what story to believe anymore, tbh - think of it from DL's perspective - if someone drops 50-60m on his doorstep and says 'pretty please'

are you guys serious?
Players sign contract extensions all the time (club upping their salary to persuade them to stay) and then within months promptly move on to a bigger club (who trumped the payrise by a massive amount)

I'll believe it when I see it, rather than waste my emotional equilibrium on paper talk.

I have more faith in Bale the man. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, who actually has a moral compass of his own, rather than one handed to him by an avaricious agent.

Avarice aside, he's not going to want to finish his career potless...........

I'm not sure what story to believe anymore, tbh - think of it from DL's perspective - if someone drops 50-60m on his doorstep and says 'pretty please'

Surely Bale is worth more to us in merchandise etc. He's the hottest property in world football right now. Sure Levy could sell him, but he would need to be seen to re invest that in players etc. The stature of the club is increased by having Bale here, the club becomes more recognised etc.

Surely Bale is worth more to us in merchandise etc. He's the hottest property in world football right now. Sure Levy could sell him, but he would need to be seen to re invest that in players etc. The stature of the club is increased by having Bale here, the club becomes more recognised etc.
and good players will want to play in a team with him in it

It makes no sense on any level for Bale to leave - the chance for him to depart for pastures greener will be there next season as well and most of his preferred destinations don't have an easy way of accommodating him.

That means another year to get it right. By right, I mean get as high as possible in the league. United without Fergie, City in what looks like another managerial fiasco, Chelsea rebuilding under a new boss & the Goons continuing slide. I don't see why, even if we get 4th this season, we shouldn't have a real tilt at the title next season.

It makes no sense on any level for Bale to leave

But surely the Top 4 argument has to work both ways -

If we would benefit from being in it, as top players supposedly want to play CL football and we "need" to be in it to attract them, then conversly, we run the risk of them leaving if we continuosly fail to qualify...

Back
Top Bottom