Chelsea (league cup semi final)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That Chelsea freeze frame doesn't even show the ball being played - it was prob frozen too late.

DwbHNcDX4AImP8D.jpg

Yep and the bastards havent even mentioned Lamela and the 'foul' when through on goal
Thing is, the Cheslea player tried to foul/obstruct Lamela and mucked it up and Lamela was thru - then he beat the goalie and the ref blew for a 'foul'. It was never replayed or talked bout by the gooners in commentary or after the match.
Lamela went to the ref at the end and was asking him why that was a foul and Sky's camera then shifted to something else......

Great defensive performance, we kept our shape superbly and were so disciplined. Chelsea simply didn't get behind us at all and was left to shots from outside of the box. The only time I felt nervous was when they bought on Giroud, not that I rate him as a player but because he is good at one thing, heading the ball and apart from the long-range shots all they were doing the crossing and we dealt/blocked and caught everyone. Why were they doing this when they have a target man the size of a munchkin?

Really like Gazza's feet, his passing is so secure, just quicker, he doesn't look as panicked as Lloris. Why is it fat bald 50yrs olds can't handle us playing out from the back? So many sat around me shitting themselves, I thought we were good at it, they didn't create anything from pressing us into a mistake, hey ho.

Want to give a shout to Tripps thought he was excellent tonight, he didn't get forward though but I was more than comfortable with that, he had his hands full this evening and thought this was his best defensive display I've seen from him. In particular, he didn't shit himself when being pressed, he managed to find his passes!!!! Thought Rose was the better of the two as he also got forward on occasion. But both stood up well to a specific Chelsea tactic which was to switch it out wide, they were very good at this and both our fullbacks stopped them most of the time.

Dele was brilliant in the 2nd half.

My MOTM was Alderweirled, immaculate performance and playing on the left of Sanchez where he hasn't looked that good whilst playing there in previous games.

I want to praise Winks and Sissoko but I'm also loathed to because the problem with us this evening was our midfield was unable to get on the ball. But individually Winks put in a great positional performance, something I've been critical of him. Odd one, probably need to re-watch to see why we couldn't get on the ball, I thought Eriksen was off the pace both with and without the ball.

Very professional. Let's get it done at the bridge. It will be tough but Chelsea can't beat us if they play like that again, toothless.

Last edited:
Blimey it’s weird watching the game and then reading the match thread. Some of you are borderline mental. Try to keep your knickers dry when watching Tottenham. No one said anything was going to be easy.

Still on the way home. Still not sure why their GK didn’t get a red (new law changes?)

Thought it looked like we set up for the counter but they read it and pressed and squeezed us well. Gazza looked v comfortable with shots and crosses and v iffy on his distribution.

Hazard looked like he might overwhelm us all on his own. Think we had two or three men on him in the 2nd half.

All in all, I’ll take 1-0 at HT
Because the foul was in the box. Double jeopardy law.

Great defensive performance, we kept our shape superbly and were so disciplined. Chelsea simply didn't get behind us at all and was left to shots from outside of the box. The only time I felt nervous was when they bought on Giroud, not that I rate him as a player but because he is good at one thing, heading the ball and apart from the long-range shots all they were doing the crossing and we dealt/blocked and caught everyone. Why were they doing this when they have a target man the size of a munchkin?

Really like Gazza's feet, his passing is so secure, just quicker, he doesn't look as panicked as Lloris. Why is it fat bald 50yrs olds can't handle us playing out from the back? So many sat around me shitting themselves, I thought we were good at it, they didn't create anything from pressing us into a mistake, hey ho.

Want to give a shout to Tripps thought he was excellent tonight, he didn't get forward though but I was more than comfortable with that, he had his hands full this even and thought this was his best defensive display I've seen from him. In particular, he didn't shit himself when being pressed, he managed to find his passes!!!! Thought Rose was the better of the two as he also got forward on occasion. But both stood up well to a specific Chelsea tactic which was to switch it out wide, they were very good at this and both our fullbacks stopped them most of the time.

My MOTM was Alderweirled, immaculate performance and playing on the left of Sanchez where he hasn't looked that good whilst playing there in previous games.

I want to praise Winks and Sissoko but I'm also loathed to because the problem with us this evening was our midfield was unable to get on the ball. But individually Winks put in a great positional performance, something I've been critical of him. Odd one, probably need to re-watch to see why we couldn't get on the ball, I thought Eriksen was off the pace both with and without the ball.

Very professional. Let's get it done at the bridge. It will be tough but Chelsea can't beat us if they play like that again, toothless.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Winks was absolutely everywhere tonight. It certainly felt like it anyway.

Want to give a shout to Tripps thought he was excellent tonight, he didn't get forward though but I was more than comfortable with that, he had his hands full this even and thought this was his best defensive display I've seen from him. In particular, he didn't shit himself when being pressed, he managed to find his passes!!!! Thought Rose was the better of the two as he also got forward on occasion. But both stood up well to a specific Chelsea tactic which was to switch it out wide, they were very good at this and both our fullbacks stopped them most of the time.

Couldn't agree more. I thought Sissoko was solid today, too. Eriksen was definitely a bit off. I was surprised to see him lose 2 through balls that you'd normally expect to find Kane. I'd like to see an decent analysis of why we couldn't spend more time in their half for the last 60 mins. It wasn't obvious on the telly. Lamela's foul for yellow wasn't a foul, it was just bad refereeing. He won the ball without touching it, but because it was a bit heavy and, well, it's Coco, the ref gave a yellow. Probably to reduce his 'destroyer of worlds' introduction at a late stage.

:lamelaaghh:

I thought Winks was poor. Useless off the ball as usual, and negative in possession. Looked out of his depth tbh.

I thought he was his best performance for us defensively in all honesty. That would have been a tough second half for him being on a second yellow and having to pick up arguably the best footballer in the country most of the half.

I thought he was probably our best midfielder over 90 minutes. Eriksen was invisible. Sissoko was wasteful and Dele had a good 20 minutes in the second half.

BUT if we play this diamond against United, we'll get destroyed.

Thing is, the Cheslea player tried to foul/obstruct Lamela and mucked it up and Lamela was thru - then he beat the goalie and the ref blew for a 'foul'. It was never replayed or talked bout by the gooners in commentary or after the match.
Lamela went to the ref at the end and was asking him why that was a foul and Sky's camera then shifted to something else......

Absolutely ridiculous as that goal he probably would have scored could be crucial

We got away with one tonight. Can not go through that for another 90 mins in 2nd leg. However whilst Son missing we could have Dier, Vertonghan and Moura back. Chelsea may also have players back but Poch is going to have to come up with something different. We might have won but this was another semi final that we have not played our best. We really need to do better in the 2nd leg.

Back
Top Bottom