Chelsea (league cup semi final)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Winks was absolutely everywhere tonight. It certainly felt like it anyway.
Tracked runners, mainly first half and early 2nd half, rest of the half there were no runners we are so deep. Got quickly into pressing them but stood off well, didn't dive in and he played most of the match on a yellow card.

But as I said on the ball the midfield was our problem, I just don't know why or what caused it. Can't fault Dele, Sissoko and Winks individual performance but as a collective something wasn't right. Not too sure I want to rewatch it either lol.

Might get a few negative comments. I’m happy we won but genuinely not happy with the scoreline. After the last two games against the racists I really felt confident we’d win by a couple of goals.

Worried about the game at the bridge as they did dominat us second half, you can’t deny that. I want this cup now we’ve got this far, just hope we have enough to go all the way! COYS

I thought he was his best performance for us defensively in all honesty. That would have been a tough second half for him being on a second yellow and having to pick up arguably the best footballer in the country most of the half.

I thought he was probably our best midfielder over 90 minutes. Eriksen was invisible. Sissoko was wasteful and Dele had a good 20 minutes in the second half.

BUT if we play this diamond against United, we'll get destroyed.

Ok, but we’re miles apart. I didn’t post in the match thread because I can’t do that and watch closely. Eriksen certainly wasn’t invisible, he was playing far more defensively - like you’ve been saying.

Great defensive display and a decent result but our midfield is on its knees right now imo
Sissoko and winks have been flogged to death and look leggy to me

Very interesting game and probably the first time in a while Poch has sent us out to play on the back foot. Danny (my MoM) and Tripps hardly crossed the halfway line, Winks Sissoko, Eriksen and Dele all played a far more defensive role than we would normally expect. We did press but it was ten to twenty yards deeper than normal.

We gave Hazard so much respect it was crazy, but it worked. Clearly if you contain Hazard Chelsea are screwed, talk about a one man team.

It looks like the plan, and it was a clear plan, was very much not to lose. Poch can be confident that away from home we are just as big, if not an even bigger, goal-scoring threat, Chelsea already need two goals to win, if we can score one away then even though away goals don't count extra Chelsea will need three to win, with their attack I just can't see that happening.

Hmm not sure I agree with that. Thought he was okay, not amazing but did a decent job. He’s still young and he’s only gonna get better especially now dembele is on his way out.
Fair enough. I was commenting on his performance tonight, which was poor.

Anyway, slagging off players isn’t my bag, but I just felt I had to comment.

I feel like some people in here watched a football match and some people watched a snuff film but I’m not sure which is which...
Ul1p.gif

Couldn't agree more. I thought Sissoko was solid today, too. Eriksen was definitely a bit off. I was surprised to see him lose 2 through balls that you'd normally expect to find Kane. I'd like to see an decent analysis of why we couldn't spend more time in their half for the last 60 mins. It wasn't obvious on the telly. Lamela's foul for yellow wasn't a foul, it was just bad refereeing. He won the ball without touching it, but because it was a bit heavy and, well, it's Coco, the ref gave a yellow. Probably to reduce his 'destroyer of worlds' introduction at a late stage.

:lamelaaghh:
I think we were prepared to play like this, there was definitely a lot of organisation, everyone knew what to do. There was no panic and on a number of occasions on the few occasions in the 2nd half when we had the ball in their half, you could still see certain players (I recall Dele and Sissoko both) just dropping back into positions whilst Kane or Son pressed their defenders. Poch did tweak things on approx 30 mins, brought Eriksen deeper and I think in 2nd half Dele's position was also deeper which meant we were happy for them to go wide. The only player that was a threat centrally was Hazard when got running at us, fuck he's good. But he just ran into a brick wall and we eventually forced him out wide too.

Great defensive display and a decent result but our midfield is on its knees right now imo
Sissoko and winks have been flogged to death and look leggy to me

Sissoko is fine as a DM, but Winks and Eriksen could be replaced by one superior holding player. We don't really suit the three in midfield but can cover it. I'd rather we counter-attacked with a 3-4-3.

Back
Top Bottom