Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - 'The Mind Series' - 19.45 Wednesday 4 August

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chelsea's 20 final Premier League games last season.
Kante missed 7 games & played 13 with him.

13 games with Kante:
Won 10
Drew 3
Lost 0
For 20 (1.54 p/g)
Against 5 (0.38 p/g)
Points (2.54 p/g)

7 games without Kante:
Won 1
Drew 2
Lost 4
For 5 (0.71 p/g)
Against 10 (1.43 p/g)
Points 5 (0.71 p/g)

There's some statistics to back up what I see when I watch Chelsea play - which is pretty much every game.
You obviously watch a lot of their games. Well, I suppose someone has to.

OK, joking apart, who were the oppo for those 7 games when their form fell away? Any shocks? I recall them getting battered by West Brom but they had a red card when in the lead.

A ragtag team consisting of 4 first XI l
players vs a strong Chav XI..... Yet look what happened when they changed up a bit..... We got back into the game and nearly won it.
They brought on ten players of which only one will start a PL game next season AKA their 3rd team who will be sold
Or loaned

You obviously watch a lot of their games. Well, I suppose someone has to.

OK, joking apart, who were the oppo for those 7 games when their form fell away? Any shocks? I recall them getting battered by West Brom but they had a red card when in the lead.

They lost at home to Woolwich, then away to Villa on the final day of the season when they actually needed a win.
They were reliant on Tottenham beating Leicester to give them top 4, which they secured by 1 point.

The other games they failed to win without Kante were;
Leicester (a), Wolves (h), Brighton (h), and lost 5-2 at home to the baggies as you mentioned.

They conceded the same number of goals losing to West Brom as they did in total from the last 13 games they played with Kante.

But yeah I watch a lot of Chelsea games and have been to Stamford Bridge quite a few times for family reasons.

While this is true, it's nevertheless worrying that they looked far, far fitter than we did in the first hour

True, but just depends how far along the pre-season each of their players are.

For Spurs, I'd suggest only Moura, Dele and Bergwijn of our starting line up have had a full pre-season, most of the others much less of a pre-season. And even likes of Skipp who played 90 mins will be fitter from playing this game as he missed start of ptre-season.

I'd suggest Kante playing for them was a big plus. Hojbjerg just back and only fit for 45 mins wasn't a good match for him in first half, giving them a lot of control

Consistent with his form last season then (post October) 👍

Overplayed last season, as nobody else able to play that DM style position.

Hopefully Skipp and Hojbjerg rotate a bit and sometimes play together.

Ndombele and Lo Celso rotate, unless they play on good form and uninjured more than they have for last 2 seasons.

So if Sissoko and Winks are off we probably need another versatile CM (good in both supporting attack and defence) such as Sabitzer who can play as 3rd midfield player with cover from Ndombele/LO Celso/Skipp/Hojbjerg and possibly Nile John who has looked very good in preseason (possibly mainly in Conference League) and Alfie Devine similarly

Overplayed last season, as nobody else able to play that DM style position.

Hopefully Skipp and Hojbjerg rotate a bit and sometimes play together.

Ndombele and Lo Celso rotate, unless they play on good form and uninjured more than they have for last 2 seasons.

So if Sissoko and Winks are off we probably need another versatile CM (good in both supporting attack and defence) such as Sabitzer who can play as 3rd midfield player with cover from Ndombele/LO Celso/Skipp/Hojbjerg and possibly Nile John who has looked very good in preseason (possibly mainly in Conference League) and Alfie Devine similarly
Agree re Devine and John

They lost at home to Woolwich, then away to Villa on the final day of the season when they actually needed a win.
They were reliant on Tottenham beating Leicester to give them top 4, which they secured by 1 point.

The other games they failed to win without Kante were;
Leicester (a), Wolves (h), Brighton (h), and lost 5-2 at home to the baggies as you mentioned.

They conceded the same number of goals losing to West Brom as they did in total from the last 13 games they played with Kante.

But yeah I watch a lot of Chelsea games and have been to Stamford Bridge quite a few times for family reasons.
Fair enough; they lost a lot of points in those games, 13?

I must say I'd find it hard to go to SB too often. A mate of mine had 2 ST's there but refused to take me, said he couldn;t trust me to keep my gob shut

Fair enough; they lost a lot of points in those games, 13?

I must say I'd find it hard to go to SB too often. A mate of mine had 2 ST's there but refused to take me, said he couldn;t trust me to keep my gob shut

Dropped a lot of points and conceded a lot of goals without him.
Imo Kante carries them to another level. Sure they have a good squad anyway, but look how close the top 4 or top 6 or top 8 are.. A couple of bad results makes the difference of Champions League football.

My step dad was a big Chelsea fan, played semi professional for 20 odd years & worked in management at BT.
When he was dying of Cancer, BT arranged for him to have a lavish day out at Stamford Bridge, meeting Frank Lampard and some other former players, food & drink laid on, box etc. Unfortunately he was too ill with all the fucking chemo he was going through to attend, so asked me and his Woolwich supporting son (my step brother) to attend on his behalf - finding it amusing that Spurs & Woolwich fans would roll up to Stamford Bridge together sitting with the home fans watching his chavs. We opted out of the player meet & greet, and just watched the game under the heated lamps they have in their main stand.

He watched every Chelsea game when he was alive, often when the family would all come together for Sunday roast - so I guess my step brother and I feel like we keep a part of his memory going by watching Chelsea for him now he's not able to.

Sorry a bit wordy, but yeah that's my reason for following Chelsea. I don't want them to win on his behalf of course - and when they fuck up I like to think he can see us being smug about it like he was every time Spurs or Woolwich failed.

Dropped a lot of points and conceded a lot of goals without him.
Imo Kante carries them to another level. Sure they have a good squad anyway, but look how close the top 4 or top 6 or top 8 are.. A couple of bad results makes the difference of Champions League football.

My step dad was a big Chelsea fan, played semi professional for 20 odd years & worked in management at BT.
When he was dying of Cancer, BT arranged for him to have a lavish day out at Stamford Bridge, meeting Frank Lampard and some other former players, food & drink laid on, box etc. Unfortunately he was too ill with all the fucking chemo he was going through to attend, so asked me and his Woolwich supporting son (my step brother) to attend on his behalf - finding it amusing that Spurs & Woolwich fans would roll up to Stamford Bridge together sitting with the home fans watching his chavs. We opted out of the player meet & greet, and just watched the game under the heated lamps they have in their main stand.

He watched every Chelsea game when he was alive, often when the family would all come together for Sunday roast - so I guess my step brother and I feel like we keep a part of his memory going by watching Chelsea for him now he's not able to.

Sorry a bit wordy, but yeah that's my reason for following Chelsea. I don't want them to win on his behalf of course - and when they fuck up I like to think he can see us being smug about it like he was every time Spurs or Woolwich failed.
Great story; love reading stuff like that, if it's that good then no bother about wordiness

Sorry about the chemo story and not getting to SB

Who did he play semi pro for btw

Back
Top Bottom