Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who knows, if he wanted to play in another country it may have been the only way.

With 20/20 hindsight, possibly.

However when he declined to sign a new contract he and his agent were convinced that Madrid/Barccelona wanted his services - possibly by paying a big transfer fee but they thought they would get a much bigger wage by running down the contract. They should have encouraged a big bid as probably got paid bigger wages than he is currently being offered...…..and got higher wages 3 years earlier !.

However when he declined to sign a new contract he and his agent were convinced that Madrid/Barccelona wanted his services - possibly by paying a big transfer fee but they thought they would get a much bigger wage by running down the contract. They should have encouraged a big bid as probably got paid bigger wages than he is currently being offered...…..and got higher wages 3 years earlier !.
That's one way of looking at it and may have been his plan, what is certain is Levy doesn't sell a star with a contract without a near record fee. Eriksen has made no secret he wants to play in other countries and he may well have thought that this would be worth it.

I imagine he will get a big signing on fee that will cover most lost wages, I think the Italians have to publish (May be wrong) so if he does go there we will be able to see.

Dier defended Christian Eriksen, who has attracted criticism from some Tottenham supporters...

"There is nothing negative you could say about Christian," Dier said. "I have been here almost as long as he has and he has always handled himself in the best way.

"He has always been one of the most professional players I have known and one of the best players at Tottenham on the most consistent basis.

"Whatever he has done, he has done with the best intentions. So he does not deserve that from anyone."

I'm sure his agent has his best interests at heart. Weird that if he is actually gone that he left now and not in the summer.

Perhaps the fan abuse was getting to him or his match ratings dropping faster than his value worried him.

Hope he finds his form again and has an absolute blinder. But I'll be very happy when he finally goes.

Don't get Inter - then can have him for free in 5 months

Is Tim Sherwood's Italian cousin in charge there?
Perhaps they see the remainder of this season as a once in a lifetime opportunity to beat Juve to the title.

If they believe Eriksen will be the difference to help them achieve that, I can understand why they rather pay now (and subsequently get him in now)

Back
Top Bottom