Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People say this and I think 🤔 Hmmm how big a prick would he be to walk out on kindly supportive Brentford after they took the chance on him. Folk need to get their head round he has played his last game for Spurs.

I don’t think it would be him being a prick. If Eriksen wants to stay at Brentford then that’s fine, but clearly he is far above their level.

He has a 6 month deal with them and stepping back up to a higher level is not insult to them whether it’s to join us or any other club. He‘s already repaying the chance they took on him with goals and assists. If he wants to listen to other offers in the summer then it would be criminal for us not to make one.

I see some people, that believe that having Conte as a coach is an asset, if Tottenham decide to try to get Christian Eriksen back as a player. Now, I can’t claim to know exactly what goes on in Christian’s head. But I have interviewed him several times, when I was a sports journalist in Denmark, and I have followed his career since he went to Ajax. And I am a 100 percent sure that Christian does not want to play for a team, that has Conte as the coach.

It is not, that he doesn’t respect Conte. He does. But he doesn’t think Conte is the right coach for him. His time in Inter did not go as well as he would have hoped. In the start Conte didn’t use him very often. His quiet style didn’t fit with Conte and the Italians, and Conte criticized him for being slow at adapting to the Italian style of football. At the end of his stay Conte found some use of Eriksen. Not as an attacking midfielder, but further back on the pitch. Conte was satisfied, but Eriksen only seemed relieved and happy, when he went home to play for Denmark, where he could play attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills. He never criticized Conte. That is not his style. He played the role that Conte dictated. It is important for him to honor his commitment to the club he represents. But it was evident that he didn’t feel that he and Inter (Conte) was a good fit.

It is too bad. I think he would be back in a heartbeat if Tottenham wants him, and Conte wasn’t the coach. He loves the club. He – and more important – his family thrives in London. But he seeks a coach that believes in him. Like Pochettino did, like the national coaches Hareide and Hjulmand did and do, and like Thomas Frank does.

I see some people, that believe that having Conte as a coach is an asset, if Tottenham decide to try to get Christian Eriksen back as a player. Now, I can’t claim to know exactly what goes on in Christian’s head. But I have interviewed him several times, when I was a sports journalist in Denmark, and I have followed his career since he went to Ajax. And I am a 100 percent sure that Christian does not want to play for a team, that has Conte as the coach.

It is not, that he doesn’t respect Conte. He does. But he doesn’t think Conte is the right coach for him. His time in Inter did not go as well as he would have hoped. In the start Conte didn’t use him very often. His quiet style didn’t fit with Conte and the Italians, and Conte criticized him for being slow at adapting to the Italian style of football. At the end of his stay Conte found some use of Eriksen. Not as an attacking midfielder, but further back on the pitch. Conte was satisfied, but Eriksen only seemed relieved and happy, when he went home to play for Denmark, where he could play attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills. He never criticized Conte. That is not his style. He played the role that Conte dictated. It is important for him to honor his commitment to the club he represents. But it was evident that he didn’t feel that he and Inter (Conte) was a good fit.

It is too bad. I think he would be back in a heartbeat if Tottenham wants him, and Conte wasn’t the coach. He loves the club. He – and more important – his family thrives in London. But he seeks a coach that believes in him. Like Pochettino did, like the national coaches Hareide and Hjulmand did and do, and like Thomas Frank does.
And here it is. He has played his last game for Spurs. I'm not even sure he's ambitious, he wants to be happy after what he went through I don't blame him. He will stay at Brentford and this talk about them being below his level won't come into it. He'll strive to push them on. He'll also turn Toney into a proper player.

And here it is. He has played his last game for Spurs. I'm not even sure he's ambitious, he wants to be happy after what he went through I don't blame him. He will stay at Brentford and this talk about them being below his level won't come into it. He'll strive to push them on. He'll also turn Toney into a proper player.

Agreed.

Nothing to prove. Go to the World Cup and do what he can for his country.

And then be part of a club where he will play regularly doing what he has wanted to do all his life.

We got the very best Eriksen and being absolutely honest I would be fearful of anything happening if he were with us.

His return to PL football is the story of the decade so far, by a country mile.

I think we’d find a place for him. Conte had him working in a playmaker role at Inter. He’s a class act, in some games I think Eriksen/Bentancur could work, would just be about adjusting if it isn’t.

But either way, what a player to just have around.

Indeed. I feel like there's a perception among fans based in England which goes that Conte wants to play the system, we're currently using. Because it's also what also worked a treat with you know who, when he was there. However Conte is very much so a coach, who'll adjust to get the most of our the squad available. Looking at it in terms of whether Eriksen can be shoehorned in within the current system, and who he should replace, is a falsehood.

attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills
Thanks for the info. I do remember watching/reading some interviews from his time at Inter and Eriksen in his very typical understated style did say exactly this.

He said in a round about way that he didn't like Mou either, he said something along the line of he's happiest when he gets to touch the ball and make things happen and it was an adjustment to a different style. It definitely came across as "not ideal, but I'm adjusting".

Said the same about Conte, and adapting to a more specific role instead of the free role he had under Poch.

Agreed.

Nothing to prove. Go to the World Cup and do what he can for his country.

And then be part of a club where he will play regularly doing what he has wanted to do all his life.

We got the very best Eriksen and being absolutely honest I would be fearful of anything happening if he were with us.

His return to PL football is the story of the decade so far, by a country mile.
The decade is 2 and a bit years long. Hold your horses.

Is this your opinion or based on something you've heard?

Is this your opinion or based on something you've heard?
It is my own opinion. So, you can take it for what it is. Christian would never voice any criticism about his coach or his club publicly – not even of camera. He is very careful about what he says, and he does not like confrontations. My opinion is based on my perception of him. I interview him for the first time when he joined the Danish national team, when he was 18 years old. I have followed his career ever since and Mind you I have not been a sports journalist the last couple of years, when he was in Inter.

I am not the only one, that felt a bad connection between him and Conte at the time he was in Inter - at least in the beginning. All Danish sports journalists reported that. The headline from a Danish sports outlet below sums it up pretty well. “Conte and Eriksen – match made in hell?”. With a question mark, I know. But an indication that things were – at least - not well.

I think he wants more than Brentford long term. But his first goal is to get to the World Cup. My guess is that he will stay in Brentford until that, now that it seems like the club will stay in Premier League. No reason to rock the boat. He could stay the whole season until summer 2023. Then – it depends. Conte might be gone from Tottenham by then. He is a rolling stone. He only tends to be a couple of years as a coach in the clubs, he has been in. If he is not gone, then I don’t know. He would like to stay in London, but I think he would have a hard time signing for any of Tottenham’s rivals, if they would want him. He cares about the opinion of the fans and his legacy in Tottenham, more than you know, I think. But the ambition to play on a higher level might win. That part I am not sure of. But I think it will be a hard decision, if it comes to that.

Conte og Eriksen – match made in hell? - Sportnyt.dk

It is my own opinion. So, you can take it for what it is. Christian would never voice any criticism about his coach or his club publicly – not even of camera. He is very careful about what he says, and he does not like confrontations. My opinion is based on my perception of him. I interview him for the first time when he joined the Danish national team, when he was 18 years old. I have followed his career ever since and Mind you I have not been a sports journalist the last couple of years, when he was in Inter.

I am not the only one, that felt a bad connection between him and Conte at the time he was in Inter - at least in the beginning. All Danish sports journalists reported that. The headline from a Danish sports outlet below sums it up pretty well. “Conte and Eriksen – match made in hell?”. With a question mark, I know. But an indication that things were – at least - not well.

I think he wants more than Brentford long term. But his first goal is to get to the World Cup. My guess is that he will stay in Brentford until that, now that it seems like the club will stay in Premier League. No reason to rock the boat. He could stay the whole season until summer 2023. Then – it depends. Conte might be gone from Tottenham by then. He is a rolling stone. He only tends to be a couple of years as a coach in the clubs, he has been in. If he is not gone, then I don’t know. He would like to stay in London, but I think he would have a hard time signing for any of Tottenham’s rivals, if they would want him. He cares about the opinion of the fans and his legacy in Tottenham, more than you know, I think. But the ambition to play on a higher level might win. That part I am not sure of. But I think it will be a hard decision, if it comes to that.

Conte og Eriksen – match made in hell? - Sportnyt.dk

My (limited) impression was that Eriksen was much more comfortable at Inter - and with Conte! - by the end of his first season.

Last edited:
He’ll stay at Brentford for a while yet I believe. I heard that his contract has an option to extend for a year so if that’s true I think it’s almost certain to happen.

I love Christian and hope he finishes his career on a high.

I don’t want him to return though, we need to look forwards not backwards
No one suggesting we sign him out of simple nostalgia. He's clearly still got something to offer, and given our desperate need for a LCB and WBs, we can't afford to pass up a player of his calibre on a free transfer.

Would be a great signing to help us transition into the future........

Nothing wrong with looking back in to the past as long as you're also building for the future .. would a single person here say no if Modric was available to resign? He's obviously at a different level to Eriksen, but if the quality is there and the price is right, why the hell not?

Nothing wrong with looking back in to the past as long as you're also building for the future .. would a single person here say no if Modric was available to resign? He's obviously at a different level to Eriksen, but if the quality is there and the price is right, why the hell not?
Yeah, spend 30m on Tielemans and 30m on a LCB of mixed reputation or 0 on Eriksen and 60m on an elite CB on the level of Romero.

Easy choice for me.

Back
Top Bottom