Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see some people, that believe that having Conte as a coach is an asset, if Tottenham decide to try to get Christian Eriksen back as a player. Now, I can’t claim to know exactly what goes on in Christian’s head. But I have interviewed him several times, when I was a sports journalist in Denmark, and I have followed his career since he went to Ajax. And I am a 100 percent sure that Christian does not want to play for a team, that has Conte as the coach.

It is not, that he doesn’t respect Conte. He does. But he doesn’t think Conte is the right coach for him. His time in Inter did not go as well as he would have hoped. In the start Conte didn’t use him very often. His quiet style didn’t fit with Conte and the Italians, and Conte criticized him for being slow at adapting to the Italian style of football. At the end of his stay Conte found some use of Eriksen. Not as an attacking midfielder, but further back on the pitch. Conte was satisfied, but Eriksen only seemed relieved and happy, when he went home to play for Denmark, where he could play attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills. He never criticized Conte. That is not his style. He played the role that Conte dictated. It is important for him to honor his commitment to the club he represents. But it was evident that he didn’t feel that he and Inter (Conte) was a good fit.

It is too bad. I think he would be back in a heartbeat if Tottenham wants him, and Conte wasn’t the coach. He loves the club. He – and more important – his family thrives in London. But he seeks a coach that believes in him. Like Pochettino did, like the national coaches Hareide and Hjulmand did and do, and like Thomas Frank does.
You seem to know a lot about Eriksen and I thank you for the post. However, I would like to ask you about something that is actually important. Did Jan sleep with his missus or not?

Yeah, spend 30m on Tielemans and 30m on a LCB of mixed reputation or 0 on Eriksen and 60m on an elite CB on the level of Romero.

Easy choice for me.

This really should be the story of our kitty this summer (and next for that matter).

You seem to know a lot about Eriksen and I thank you for the post. However, I would like to ask you about something that is actually important. Did Jan sleep with his missus or not?
Haha. That is definitely not my field of expertise. But it is an extremely important question.

I see some people, that believe that having Conte as a coach is an asset, if Tottenham decide to try to get Christian Eriksen back as a player. Now, I can’t claim to know exactly what goes on in Christian’s head. But I have interviewed him several times, when I was a sports journalist in Denmark, and I have followed his career since he went to Ajax. And I am a 100 percent sure that Christian does not want to play for a team, that has Conte as the coach.

It is not, that he doesn’t respect Conte. He does. But he doesn’t think Conte is the right coach for him. His time in Inter did not go as well as he would have hoped. In the start Conte didn’t use him very often. His quiet style didn’t fit with Conte and the Italians, and Conte criticized him for being slow at adapting to the Italian style of football. At the end of his stay Conte found some use of Eriksen. Not as an attacking midfielder, but further back on the pitch. Conte was satisfied, but Eriksen only seemed relieved and happy, when he went home to play for Denmark, where he could play attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills. He never criticized Conte. That is not his style. He played the role that Conte dictated. It is important for him to honor his commitment to the club he represents. But it was evident that he didn’t feel that he and Inter (Conte) was a good fit.

It is too bad. I think he would be back in a heartbeat if Tottenham wants him, and Conte wasn’t the coach. He loves the club. He – and more important – his family thrives in London. But he seeks a coach that believes in him. Like Pochettino did, like the national coaches Hareide and Hjulmand did and do, and like Thomas Frank does.
I think you have a point. Eriksen was more candid whenever he spoke to Danish media about Conte during that time.

Many people, almost all Inter fans then, believed that Conte is being a dick towards Eriksen on purpose - he used to sub him in only in the dying minutes of some games, like 92 minute or maybe 85 minute of the game. Conte did this to other players too, but more rarely, and Eriksen's attitude suggested he didn't appreciate it. He was going to stay in Italy to play under Inzaghi, I think.

Yeah, spend 30m on Tielemans and 30m on a LCB of mixed reputation or 0 on Eriksen and 60m on an elite CB on the level of Romero.

Easy choice for me.
These are massive false equivalence. Spend 30m on a fit 24 year old with a high ceiling of improvement who is EPL ready or a bloke whose in his thirties and has an implanted device to shock him in the event of his second cardiac arrest. Free or not this is not a sensible way to build a stable championship winning team. I'd be shocked if we go anywhere near Eriksen.. You don't need 60 million to upgrade Ben Davis either.

If he has a choice I hope Eriksen stays with Brentford
I hope he stays there as well. Danish coach. Lots of Danish players. They’re playing well. Must feel like a family unit. Big fish in a small pond. He’s lucky to still be here, I imagine his priorities have changed. Whatever he does, I hope he smashes it.

It is my own opinion. So, you can take it for what it is. Christian would never voice any criticism about his coach or his club publicly – not even of camera. He is very careful about what he says, and he does not like confrontations. My opinion is based on my perception of him. I interview him for the first time when he joined the Danish national team, when he was 18 years old. I have followed his career ever since and Mind you I have not been a sports journalist the last couple of years, when he was in Inter.

I am not the only one, that felt a bad connection between him and Conte at the time he was in Inter - at least in the beginning. All Danish sports journalists reported that. The headline from a Danish sports outlet below sums it up pretty well. “Conte and Eriksen – match made in hell?”. With a question mark, I know. But an indication that things were – at least - not well.

I think he wants more than Brentford long term. But his first goal is to get to the World Cup. My guess is that he will stay in Brentford until that, now that it seems like the club will stay in Premier League. No reason to rock the boat. He could stay the whole season until summer 2023. Then – it depends. Conte might be gone from Tottenham by then. He is a rolling stone. He only tends to be a couple of years as a coach in the clubs, he has been in. If he is not gone, then I don’t know. He would like to stay in London, but I think he would have a hard time signing for any of Tottenham’s rivals, if they would want him. He cares about the opinion of the fans and his legacy in Tottenham, more than you know, I think. But the ambition to play on a higher level might win. That part I am not sure of. But I think it will be a hard decision, if it comes to that.

Conte og Eriksen – match made in hell? - Sportnyt.dk

Do you know if Conte actually requested Inter sign Eriksen, or did Inter sign him without Conte's approval?

I just read the first two pages of this thread……

Eriksen and dembele were considered worse options than capoue, holtby and Paulinho.

Holtby being one of the best CAMS in the world apparently……

old-man-celebrating-laptop-16618166.jpg

These are massive false equivalence. Spend 30m on a fit 24 year old with a high ceiling of improvement who is EPL ready or a bloke whose in his thirties and has an implanted device to shock him in the event of his second cardiac arrest. Free or not this is not a sensible way to build a stable championship winning team. I'd be shocked if we go anywhere near Eriksen.. You don't need 60 million to upgrade Ben Davis either.
Daley Blind has been playing with a similar implant for years, he seems OK. From what I've read, medically Eriksen is not in significantly higher risk of cardiac issues than other players now. Which is why he's cleared to play in pretty much every country outside of Italy.

From what we're told by Spurs Journos, the intent is indeed to splash some cash on an elite LCB, the likes of Gvardiol will cost 60m+. We're not after just an upgrade, but someone special.

Eriksen is of course not an ideal signing, but getting real quality after having spent millions on a LCB, RWB, and possibly a LWB is not gonna be easy unless we go for players like Eriksen. The point is to tide us over until we can buy a more permanent solution in 2023 or later when funds become available.

Back
Top Bottom