Colchester United v Tottenham Hotspur (24-09-19) (7.45pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"When you have an unsettled squad always it's difficult and you lose time, then you need time to recover the time you lose," added the Argentine.
"That's where we are. Maybe our performances are good but you need this extra, which is mental, connection. It's energy to be all together, not to have different agendas in the squad.
"We are in a period where it's a bit tough for us, but we keep working to find a solution.
"When this type of thing happens it's about staying clear and fresh and calm. We're trying to find solutions and we only need time."

He's had five years, and three off season months this year to sort this shit out.

In his first season he segregated Ade, and another three players. It doesn't take a fucking brain surgeon t o see where the problem really is.

Stick that fucking Dane in the ladies side where he belongs, give Jan an extended contract and play Aurier at right back.

Levy should hire a DOF and then these issues would disappear.

Is this game so fucking complicated?

He's had five years, and three off season months this year to sort this shit out.

In his first season he segregated Ade, and another three players. It doesn't take a fucking brain surgeon t o see where the problem really is.

Stick that fucking Dane in the ladies side where he belongs, give Jan an extended contract and play Aurier at right back.

Levy should hire a DOF and then these issues would disappear.

Is this game so fucking complicated?
Excuse me, but Eriksen wouldn't even cut the mustard with the women! Agree with your last comment though.

I totally agree but from this years standards we are way off a PL or CL trophy. Players shouldn't care what trophy it is, look at Man City, they have won the league cup 4 times in 6 years.... and it wouldn't be a bad bet them winning it this year, they don't look bored of winning it. It is about building a winning mentality within the squad, no matter who you are playing which then gives you confidence in other games. All of them players last night have everything to prove to Poch and should be fighting for a regular first team spot, not strolling around like they can't be bothered or 'i'm too good to be playing Colchester'. Embarrassment.

I totally agree with you. Players need to give 100% all the time. Especially players like we played vs Colchester, who are fighting for playing time!

But let’s be clear, Man City wins League Cups because their second string is good enough to easily win their early round matches and then they (like us) play their first team if they get deep into the competition. Our second string is way worse than their second string. Doesn’t excuse losing to Colchester of course.

In the end though, I just don’t care about the League Cup. Hopefully Poch can use the loss as a motivational point for the rest of the campaign.

In the end though, I just don’t care about the League Cup. Hopefully Poch can use the loss as a motivational point for the rest of the campaign.

I don't particularly care about the League Cup (would be nice though), I do care, a fucking lot about not being able to beat Colchester. No matter what competition it's in. In the end it's unacceptable.

Did not see match but I disagreed with the team selection. I thought Poch had learnt that Dier and Wanyama should never play together unless a difficult away match v say M city or Liverpool. Much too defensive. Picking 2 new players at a time when we desperately needed to get the season on track was madness. Both of them were subbed and it has probably put their progress back. You blood new players when things going well. KWB and Skipp are part of the squad and should have played. I really did not want to lose several players talked about leaving or Poch but with the present run of form no longer care. This results hurts and we can do without sarcastic remarks from some. Inability to create any decent chances or take them was abysmal. Difficult to see a way out short term and looks like a very painful season is ahead.

I don't particularly care about the League Cup (would be nice though), I do care, a fucking lot about not being able to beat Colchester. No matter what competition it's in. In the end it's unacceptable.
And certainly NOT something that anybody could turn into being motivational.... :pochfacepalm:

Poch knows we cannot keep competing for all competitions every year. We don't have the depth and if certain players get injured we have a big problem. He needs to rotate and maybe abandon the less important trophy. His eyes are on the big one after last year final. We have the know how as a team to go all the way(like Liverpool had against us) and the coach knows that its a big opportunity.
Colchester dude, it was fucking Colchester

On a lighter note, Rochdale minutes away from holding Utd to a penalty shoot out....Nah...they couldn't...could they ??

Nah...lost on penalties. :(

Last edited:
It's the very least of our priorities. I'm not a Pochettino apologist by any stretch but he has to prioritise, and he has to get some games into all the squad players, otherwise when you need them they have no match sharpness at all.

Yes, they are a L2 team, but they knocked out another PL club last round. They worked their bollocks off at just trying to keep us out.

We didn't play scintillating, productive football but, despite playing an almost complete reserve side, with 4 academy players, two making debuts, we had 74% possession whilst not allowing them a single shot on target in 94 minutes.

This wasn't an embarrassingly bad performance, that would have involved us being outplayed, shook up, roughed up (like a few of our other cup games in recent seasons Newport, Rochdale etc) and skanking fortunate results.

We just failed to create much of quality. We had Moura (who creates fuck all for anyone else), Alli (who's been out a while until recently and bumbles about anyway) and Parrott, a 17yo kid as forwards.

Don't really know why Poch decided we needed 3CB's for a game like this, it was daft, and we could have had an extra attacking body out there. But nothing embarrassing happened, we totally dominated, couldn't break them down and lost on pens.

It's the very least of our priorities. I'm not a Pochettino apologist by any stretch but he has to prioritise, and he has to get some games into all the squad players, otherwise when you need them they have no match sharpness at all.

Yes, they are a L2 team, but they knocked out another PL club last round. They worked their bollocks off at just trying to keep us out.

We didn't play scintillating, productive football but, despite playing an almost complete reserve side, with 4 academy players, two making debuts, we had 74% possession whilst not allowing them a single shot on target in 94 minutes.

This wasn't an embarrassingly bad performance, that would have involved us being outplayed, shook up, roughed up (like a few of our other cup games in recent seasons Newport, Rochdale etc) and skanking fortunate results.

We just failed to create much of quality. We had Moura (who creates fuck all for anyone else), Alli (who's been out a while until recently and bumbles about anyway) and Parrott, a 17yo kid as forwards.

Don't really know why Poch decided we needed 3CB's for a game like this, it was daft, and we could have had an extra attacking body out there. But nothing embarrassing happened, we totally dominated, couldn't break them down and lost on pens.
That's fair enough but,for me, the problem was having (I believe) only 3 shots on target and 2 of them were weak efforts. Doesn't include hitting the woodwork I know but still.

Back
Top Bottom