Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The taking of the knee began as a one man protest during the playing of the US national anthem- a protest highlighting the disproportionate deaths of African American men at the hands of the police- a very necessary and worthy cause that needed highlighting.

It was a protest by American citizens about a domestic issue within The United States America and its most unfortunate that it didn’t remain just that because having gone viral its meaning has been hijacked by others and left (outside of the USA), nothing but confusion

The taking of the knee in our home domestic professional sports and in Europe will continue to cause division and eventually bring about conflict because this symbol highlighting US police racism has [here] lost its true meaning. It’s not booed because people approve of US police callously killing black men- its booed because its meaning has been lost; and used in tandem with the black power fist also clearly confused.

The head honchos at the FA, The Premier league and The Football league, along with Garth Southgate the yes-man are right out of touch with reality as their reality is lost between the pages of the Guardian newspaper.

The taking of the knee began as a one man protest during the playing of the US national anthem- a protest highlighting the disproportionate deaths of African American men at the hands of the police- a very necessary and worthy cause that needed highlighting.

It was a protest by American citizens about a domestic issue within The United States America and its most unfortunate that it didn’t remain just that because having gone viral its meaning has been hijacked by others and left (outside of the USA), nothing but confusion

The taking of the knee in our home domestic professional sports and in Europe will continue to cause division and eventually bring about conflict because this symbol highlighting US police racism has [here] lost its true meaning. It’s not booed because people approve of US police callously killing black men- its booed because its meaning has been lost; and used in tandem with the black power fist also clearly confused.

The head honchos at the FA, The Premier league and The Football league, along with Garth Southgate the yes-man are right out of touch with reality as their reality is lost between the pages of the Guardian newspaper.

R.223e55207aef57265640bfd179f599c8

Never a truer word spoken on this

It was apparently cut from the radio version of the show according to a producer. It happened on the online version of the show during an ad break or something.

But the presenters could definitely have done more than just look shocked.
That was probably how that Gooner twat Perry Groves looked when he heard we had reached the CL final!

There’s something of a very obvious flaw in your so-called draconian punishments. What’s to stop vast numbers of rival supporters entering a ground having paid internet touts... rivals intent on bringing about charges against a rival club?
I think your scenario could encourage it. We’d have monkey chants at Chelsea not heard since the 1990’s, Nazi salutes at Woolwich something not heard of today... no it wouldn’t work!
Nothing to stop that

Places like Leeds Utd and Chelsea were no place for a supporter that wasn’t white to be at less than two score years ago; even Paul Canoville Chelsea’s first black player didn’t escape the abuse. In 1985 I watched and heard 2000 Leeds supporters nazi saluting and chanting “we don’t want no niggers-we don’t need no niggers”. It’s taken the best part of forty years to rid our English football of that kind of blatant racism from the terraces and it wasn’t got rid of by gestures like taking the knee.

These young football players today especially the none-white players think they are doing a good thing in taking the knee but they’re just as out of touch as is the yes-man Garth Southgate. I see trouble brewing this season, especially outside the conformist premier league.

I think we need more of the feed so-as to know how this was dealt with in real time. Listening to a repeated segment over and over has it sound as if it is all real time and he was allowed to say that numerous times - I’m not convinced!

As far as I know, to be fair - the slur was cut from the radio feed but not the youtube feed. (open to correction on this) but it would explain why Groves and Jordan Bryan left it, they might have assumed it was dumped from going to air and thus didn't need to be discussed.

they both seem pretty taken aback by it too. I think it's a bit unfair to be too harsh on either of them.

Let me know the specific sentences within the statements released that you are having specific trouble in understanding, happy to help.

As far as I know, to be fair - the slur was cut from the radio feed but not the youtube feed. (open to correction on this) but it would explain why Groves and Jordan Bryan left it, they might have assumed it was dumped from going to air and thus didn't need to be discussed.

they both seem pretty taken aback by it too. I think it's a bit unfair to be too harsh on either of them.
That’s what I thought. Lots of shaking of heads in that clip so I need to see the full segment not merely that one snippet on constant repeat.

Let me know the specific sentences within the statements released that you are having specific trouble in understanding, happy to help.
Oh that’s very easy: I’m yet to see any evidence that the presenters either did or didn’t take him to task for his comment. Constantly repeating an offending snippet doesn’t prove the case against them it only proves a cunt was allowed on air.

English not your mother tongue?

Have you seen the full broadcast because I haven’t I’ve only seen a snippet played on repeat. Indeed another poster has said that it may not have gone to air at all but was dumped. The snippet does not show how the presenters dealt with the comments!

English not your mother tongue?

Have you seen the full broadcast because I haven’t I’ve only seen a snippet played on repeat. Indeed another poster has said that it may not have gone to air at all but was dumped. The snippet does not show how the presenters dealt with the comments!
And you seem to have mixed up the subjects that are being discussed and with whom.

What has this got to do with PL Teams taking the knee? I posted News of a joint statement from the Players and the PL via the BBC. You commented directly on this post. I then replied, to which you are responding about TalkSport's antisemitism allowed to be broadcast live.

Hence.... What?

Back
Top Bottom