Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It also makes those "good fans" stop turning a blind eye to the obvious. If enough people think it's going to affect them watching their team, then the job of the club should be more straightforward in Weeding the shite out. Too many people just turn a blind eye to this sort of shit on the basis that "it's not my problem".
Don't disagree.

Just to illustrate how pathetic UEFA's response to racism is......
Disciplinary – UEFA.org
scroll down to Friday 16th October where the club involved in racism was FC Lokomotiv Moskva.
- To order FC Lokomotiv Moskva to implement the following directive in the next UEFA competition match which the club will play as the host team: to display a banner with the wording “No to Racism”.

Brilliant. Problem solved. Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon don't know why we didn't think of this. UEFA has it cracked already.

BANNERS, BANNERS, EVERYWHERE

I agree with all that in the sense that proper policing and security is what is needed. That's why I said only as a temporary measure until the security issue has been gotten to grips with....and I think it's a problem that goes beyond just individual clubs and is presently a shambles. The safety zone would be an interim measure while the security measure are put in place, whether that means hiring more staff, new training, new equipment, CCTV or whatever else. That's not going to happen at the flip of a switch, so the safety zone would be an option for targeted fans while the protection measures aren't in place.

As for playing behind closed doors, I think it punishes the good fans and still doesn't really get to grips with what happens once the terraces are open again. That said, I do accept that the financial drain it would cause might prompt clubs to act more quickly.
I think the issue is, with racism inherent in their culture, you cannot ask racist police to police racism. I simply don't see many white Ukrainian policeman standing up for 3 black guys being abused by 10,000 white chaps (as a hypothetical example).

Of course it punishes the good fans, but it'll also punish the club, financially and performance-wise, which will reflect the severity of the issue, and give them the kick up the arse they need to realise they must take this seriously. It will also make those good fans stand up to the racist cunts as they're the ones preventing anyone watching their team.

Points deductions would be just as effective.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this article that people in authority are allowed to make remarks like this, without any censure from the controlling bodies. Actions speak louder than words - fine the beggars until they sort themselves out - its the only language some people understand.

What a horrible and pathetic state off affairs. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me to see this crap. There is still so much ignorance and genuine racial prejudice in many European countries, especially in the East. Remember Step Ladder suggesting that Anton Ferdinand should just have shaken John Terry's hand (ok, devil claw)? Whilst it was stupidly sensationalist, C*ntbell's docmentary on racism in Ukraine before Euro 2012 also highlighted the issue. Football fans in Eastern Europe often take on a pretend far right identity to fit in with their backward 'macho' ideals. It's also worth noting that Ukraine has a very dark history of associating with Nazi Germany and the racist, fascist ideals that it brought - some of the most infamous SS commanders and units were from there - and a lot of their current nationalism has a strong far right racist element to it. Russia is about as violently bigoted as it gets, but there are plenty of other places where similar attitudes remain strong. What a lovely world we live in!

I dunno. Maybe bald fat blokes with tats and no shirt should be separated.
They are, aren't they? It's called the Newcastle away section...
newcfans_zps9398f062.jpg

Some countries in the middle east don't allow women to attend league games.
So when they play asian champions league they have to allow women into the grounds,

They sit in a small segregated area of to their own.

Some countries in the middle east don't allow women to attend league games.
So when they play asian champions league they have to allow women into the grounds,

They sit in a small segregated area of to their own.
Seriously, how are these nations allowed to be part of any football federation/United Nations, etc?

A few years ago, women didn't have to pay to see football games in Malta - wish they introduced that over here!!! Mind you, it was so successful that they have stopped it now :(

Last edited:
2012 Euros in Ukraine/Poland and this mentality and more was going on week in week out, (maybe the odd slap on the wrist) yet they still reward them with mega events.

This has just ended John Cross's career. Is there a man in football who uses the phrase "power & pace" more than him?

I wonder if it'd be racist to call Spanish players skilfull and technical? Implying they aren't strong and quick?

Or how about calling Swedish and Balkan footballers more physical and tall...?

I mean - accurately describing an objective trait is racist now. So must be!

I wonder if it'd be racist to call Spanish players skilfull and technical? Implying they aren't strong and quick?

Or how about calling Swedish and Balkan footballers more physical and tall...?

I mean - accurately describing an objective trait is racist now. So must be!
It must also be racist to comment on how black people have made up over 90%+ of the field of the Olympic and World Championship 100m Finals over the last 20 years.

Surely it can’t be the fact that they are there because they are actually quicker/better than everyone else?

The ‘study’ is flawed. It makes no reference to whether the footballers being talked about were actually powerful, quick, skilful, intelligent etc. Calling Christian Eriksen skilful is justified. Calling Sissoko strong is justified. Calling Iniesta intelligent is justified. Calling Raheem Sterling powerful is not because he is 5’6” and built like a pencil.

The study is designed to be provocative. It is nothing more than bait, jumping on the back of current events. There needs to be further data surrounding each incident regarding the player’s attributes. If it’s proven to be the case that commentators are using racial prejudice to describe players of colour instead of their actual ability and attributes then that would be the time to have a wider discussion.

This study is meaningless without that data.

It must also be racist to comment on how black people have made up over 90%+ of the field of the Olympic and World Championship 100m Finals over the last 20 years.

Surely it can’t be the fact that they are there because they are actually quicker/better than everyone else?

The ‘study’ is flawed. It makes no reference to whether the footballers being talked about were actually powerful, quick, skilful, intelligent etc. Calling Christian Eriksen skilful is justified. Calling Sissoko strong is justified. Calling Iniesta intelligent is justified. Calling Raheem Sterling powerful is not because he is 5’6” and built like a pencil.

The study is designed to be provocative. It is nothing more than bait, jumping on the back of current events. There needs to be further data surrounding each incident regarding the player’s attributes. If it’s proven to be the case that commentators are using racial prejudice to describe players of colour instead of their actual ability and attributes then that would be the time to have a wider discussion.

This study is meaningless without that data.
It is willfully meaningless.

It also doesn't account for the main reason for this, at least in my country of origin; the players bought from Africa are brought up in academies that specifically favors physicality due to underdevelopment and lack of funding.

But they're just doing it to score political points - what else is new?

Lol the deniers come storming out of the blocks. "Fuck the experts! I know more than they do". "They don't know what they are talking about". "Worlds gone mad".

Why don't you read and absorb the results, thinck how it impacts on you personally and then hold a mirror up to yourself and ask if you do the same and if you do perhaps consider there is something you might want to change as it might affect someone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom