Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The most curious aspect of this, is that according to the charge registered against PCP Capital Partners (Stavely's vehicle) St James Holdings (Ashley) are prepared to lend PCP 150m.

Which means Ashley has/is leant Staveley 150m so she can complete the purchase of his own Club - or she is taking on the 110m interest free loan that Ashley has given to NUFC.

But if the buyer is Mohammed Bin Salman and the Saudi PIF (Public Investment Fund) they are worth a few billion and a couple of hundred billion respectively.

Why he fuck would they not just buy everything, including buying off Ashley's loan?
from a thread on twitter from a legal beagle-
11/ The ‘New Loan’: the position with the new loan is unclear. The Daily Express already reported this. It’s titled a “vendor loan” but the reality may be different. Our view is Ashley is putting the facility in place via St James’ Holdings to represent his existing £150m loan.
12/ The wording of the charge suggests that Ashley, via St James Holdings, will retain security over a specific bank account.
13/ It would seem that Ashley will finance the purchase initially (as otherwise it becomes complex to redeem his investment) and then Cantervale / JV1 will deposit £150m in the relevant bank account and the facility is immediately at an end.
14/ This approach would also explain why the deal was initially reported as being comprised of a £150m deposit and £200 of debt.
15/ There is a clause in the ‘new loan’ that the account doesn’t drop below 13m. This likely represents the 5% deposit that has been reported and would support our view that, subject to clearance of the fit & proper person test, Ashley’s time at NUFC may finally be over......

In effect PCP would 'purchase' shares of MA vehicle, and sell shares to PIF and Reuben brothers to pay off debt to MA? Making it easier for 3 separate groups to buy one asset. Plus PCP is a UK firm.

I remember the same discussions happening on Newcastle message boards and in pubs. The majority then said they'd not want some despot owning their club.

If this takeover goes through, there'll be conflicted fans and I know of at least two close friends of mine who say they can't stomach it and fair play to them. But It's easy to say what you will and will not tolerate when it's a hypothetical.

I think the nuance of the argument was maybe insufficiently pithy to daub on a bedsheet. The "Cockney mafia" were the owner, Llambias, Dennis Wise, and Joe Kinnear. Men who shared one thing in common; being from the south. They weren't hated because they were cockneys, hell I doubt any of them actuall are actual cockneys, they were just lumped together by that handy term. We don't hate cockneys, there've been loads we've adored, and plenty we've treated with indifference.

That's partly true, but I do think there's more going on than twitter or phone-ins would have you believe. Newcastle fans aren't going stop supporting their club because of an owner, nor should we. There will be some who see the criticisms of the potential new owners as criticisms of the club and leap to it's defence. Especially as they've had no say in it whatsoever. It's the system that's at fault, not Newcastle United, or it's fans.

Then why criticise the fans at all? We're bystanders in all of this.

Of course we'll defend our club. As would you yours. As do Man City fans, or Sheffield Utd fans, and so on. We're not special in that regard, nor should there be expectations that we should.

These potential new owners have blood on their hands and should answer for that. But our government should make them answer for that, rather than sell them arms. The FA and PL should resist their approaches, instead of welcoming their money. Mike Ashley should have sold to someone else.

Asking Newcastle fans to protest these new owners is unrealistic and kind of missing the point. It's like punishing the coke addict for buying cocaine, instead of going after the dealer, or the supplier, or the cartel.
I'm actually not having a pop at Newcastle fans (I will those that chose to defend a regime rather than their club though), all I'm insinuating is you have an opportunity to voice displeasure of your owners because of who they are, doing this will not alter their investment plans because once the deal goes through and the money transferred they will back their investment, nothing you lot say will change that, they aren't doing this because they love you lot, or love the City or area, they don't give a fuck about you, other than they expect some of you will defend them by confusing an attack on them is an attack on the Club.

Whilst rivalries will always divide fans of other clubs, I think it will be widely acknowledged as a cool thing to do by other fans of rival clubs if you protest the regime. I think it's a win, win for you lot. Have a pop at the new regime because it will not change what they have planned for the Club in the future (so you still get the upside of the oil investment) whilst drawing a line in the sand as to what is and isn't acceptable for the type of business should be done, so 2 fingers to The FA, The PL, The Government all with the wider admiration of the footballing community.

The alternative is to look like "you" support genocide so long as they invest shit loads of money into your Club. Newcastle Utd will be the washing machine used to wash the blood off their money. No matter how or how should be responsible there is no escaping the purpose as to why they have bought Newcastle.

Morale high ground will have no effect on 95% of Geordie's. We can shout all day , like City/Chavs they will have any last laugh with trophies no matter how tainted dudes.
The government doesn't give a fuck , why should they .
They have even less success than us , seen constant shit with Mike Ashley and as football is totally immoral on many levels there investment will be welcomed by the football authorities.
They will easily get around FFP , buy themselves sponsorship , they would have learnt from their City model and be far more subtle with their approach.
With City , chavs ,Geordies , having huge investment , Liverpool , Man utd having ambitious owners , the top 4 trophy will far harder in future years if not impossible.

I remember the same discussions happening on Newcastle message boards and in pubs. The majority then said they'd not want some despot owning their club.

If this takeover goes through, there'll be conflicted fans and I know of at least two close friends of mine who say they can't stomach it and fair play to them. But It's easy to say what you will and will not tolerate when it's a hypothetical.

I think the nuance of the argument was maybe insufficiently pithy to daub on a bedsheet. The "Cockney mafia" were the owner, Llambias, Dennis Wise, and Joe Kinnear. Men who shared one thing in common; being from the south. They weren't hated because they were cockneys, hell I doubt any of them actuall are actual cockneys, they were just lumped together by that handy term. We don't hate cockneys, there've been loads we've adored, and plenty we've treated with indifference.

That's partly true, but I do think there's more going on than twitter or phone-ins would have you believe. Newcastle fans aren't going stop supporting their club because of an owner, nor should we. There will be some who see the criticisms of the potential new owners as criticisms of the club and leap to it's defence. Especially as they've had no say in it whatsoever. It's the system that's at fault, not Newcastle United, or it's fans.

Then why criticise the fans at all? We're bystanders in all of this.

Of course we'll defend our club. As would you yours. As do Man City fans, or Sheffield Utd fans, and so on. We're not special in that regard, nor should there be expectations that we should.

These potential new owners have blood on their hands and should answer for that. But our government should make them answer for that, rather than sell them arms. The FA and PL should resist their approaches, instead of welcoming their money. Mike Ashley should have sold to someone else.

Asking Newcastle fans to protest these new owners is unrealistic and kind of missing the point. It's like punishing the coke addict for buying cocaine, instead of going after the dealer, or the supplier, or the cartel.
You shouldn't feel bad at all about supporting newcastle if the immoral owners takeover. The people judging you are the same people who support child & slave labour. I am not a fan of our tax exile owner but I keep getting told we support the club not the owners. If we got owners who were willing to spend what it takes to get us to the next most of our fans would be happy we are finally winning things. We use nike who have an awful child & slave labour history. We were happy to take city's 50m blood money for walker. Suddenly these moral people came up with all sorts of ways to justify it all. Now we are doing an Amazon documentary. Who also have a bad slave labour reputatoon. But thats different :mourfacepalm:. People want it both ways. To pick & choose when it suits them to be moral. Or we just defend it by saying well, what they are doing is worse. Obviously you just like newcastle united & not public stonings. It doesn't have to be both or neither.

If anything the pause due to COVID-19 has given me time to step back and look at football with a bit more perspective. Now I think that going forward the team I support chiming closer to my own personal morals is going to become a lot more important to me. Although football has given me a lot of joy up to now, I don't think it's worth selling out what I think is important over. Because of that if Spurs were taken over by a regime that I considered murdering bastards there's no way I'd continue supporting the club while they were under that ownership.

I'd still watch football because I enjoy it, but I'm not getting emotionally invested in something like that. It's ultimately not good for the soul.

from a thread on twitter from a legal beagle-
11/ The ‘New Loan’: the position with the new loan is unclear. The Daily Express already reported this. It’s titled a “vendor loan” but the reality may be different. Our view is Ashley is putting the facility in place via St James’ Holdings to represent his existing £150m loan.
12/ The wording of the charge suggests that Ashley, via St James Holdings, will retain security over a specific bank account.
13/ It would seem that Ashley will finance the purchase initially (as otherwise it becomes complex to redeem his investment) and then Cantervale / JV1 will deposit £150m in the relevant bank account and the facility is immediately at an end.
14/ This approach would also explain why the deal was initially reported as being comprised of a £150m deposit and £200 of debt.
15/ There is a clause in the ‘new loan’ that the account doesn’t drop below 13m. This likely represents the 5% deposit that has been reported and would support our view that, subject to clearance of the fit & proper person test, Ashley’s time at NUFC may finally be over......

In effect PCP would 'purchase' shares of MA vehicle, and sell shares to PIF and Reuben brothers to pay off debt to MA? Making it easier for 3 separate groups to buy one asset. Plus PCP is a UK firm.

I don't care who the owners are as long as they can afford the £50m for Rose?

I wouldn't describe Newcastle as "becoming" a zombie club, you haven't won a top-flight trophy for 65yrs! So, think this is the reality of what you are rather than what you've become.

It's not about ousting the Saudi's though, that's the point. You can't do it, you didn't manage it with Ashley, you won't with the Saudi's. You didn't like/accept Ashley because he was a cockney but seem very accepting already of murder's, torturers and human rights abusers.

You see, your defence/excuses of them has already started be it deliberate or not.

All I'm saying is you don't have to accept them as a fanbase. Do you honestly think if you didn't accept them they wouldn't sports-wash Newcastle? They would not put money in, developed a new training ground, upgrade the stadium etc, you honestly think as fans if you protested they would stop doing what they set out to do?
They were very much alive through the Keegan period though. If new owners put together a front line of today's equivalent of Shearer, Ferdinand and Ginola fans would be on board in a heartbeat.

There’s not much point clutching pearls about this new mob.

Football is a rotten, vulgar enterprise. We all know it. Newcastle may as well join the charade.

Well, another club sells their soul and will try to get big the cheap way. Good luck to them. Fucking proud to be Spurs and do it the right way though.

They were very much alive through the Keegan period though. If new owners put together a front line of today's equivalent of Shearer, Ferdinand and Ginola fans would be on board in a heartbeat.
Aye we were. It was such an exciting time, Keegan had convinced us that there was no reason why we couldn't compete. He bought players that were exciting, played football that was thrilling and had a rapport with the fans that meant he could sell our top goalscorer and talisman to the very team we were looking to catch and yet one chat on the steps of St James' the fans ire quickly turned to trust.

I don't think we'll ever recreate that feeling, the football landscape has changed so much; FFP, strength of the chasing pack, the gap between the elite and the rest is so large that that kind of thing just isn't possible.

Back
Top Bottom