Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Highly unlikely ? Chelsea and City have already proved that any club can simply spend obscene amount of money in Prem with zero ramifications and deliver major trophies. Why would it be any different in Newcastle ?
Chelsea managed it pre-fair play rules, now they are a profitable club. City are still being investigated by UEFA and the EPL and like Chelsea are now profitable (Covid aside)

Newcastle would be unlikely to get away with either the Chelsea or the City approach, across Europe you can see how much tighter financial controls have brought down even the biggest FFP cheats (Barca and Real)

and who wants to live in Newcastle? They will be fighting to get the very best players from the very biggest clubs in the very smartest capital cities ... that's getting harder and harder even when you have the money.

That said of course Newcastle will be significantly better off than they are now ... another serious player in an already very serious league.

Last edited:
Chelsea managed it pre-fair play rules, now they are a profitable club. City are still being investigated by UEFA and the EPL and like Chelsea are now profitable (Covid aside)

Newcastle would be unlikely to get away with either the Chelsea or the City approach, across Europe you can see how much tighter financial controls have brought down even the biggest FFP cheats (Barca and Real)

and who wants to live in Newcastle? They will be fighting to get the very best players from the very biggest clubs in the very smartest capital cities ... that's getting harder and harder even when you have the money.

That said of course Newcastle will be significantly better off than they are now ... another serious player in an already very serious league.
Chelsea recorded a profit last year because they shifted about £200 million in transfer fees to just outside the financial reporting period.
Once those figures (Mendy, Havertz, Chilwell, Ziyech and Werner) are on the books they had a roughly £160 million deficit. Then they will have to report the fee for Lukaku as well.

Ignoring the "who is the worst human on the planet" ranting what could this mean?

Well unlike Abro who came in when there were almost no rules on how much money you could pour into a club now there are, however as City have shown these rules are somewhat 'flexible' ...

The Saudis could legitimately invest a billion or so in sorting out the meccano stadium and training facilities into world class venues, no limit on the cash they can spend on that. They can't however just buy a billion pounds worth of players, not without creating a billion pounds worth of additional income first, they can't increase the wage bill much either without first increasing the revenue, so rop four type changes will take them a little while ...

That said Newcastle currently show total revenue of 240m with just 48m of that as Commercial income, the 'friends' of the new Saudi owners could easily sponsor everything from the stadium to the ground's toilet rolls and bring that up to well over 100m of Commercial income, more inline with the biggest EPL clubs, that would quickly allow for a big transfer splurge next summer.

Will it make them the next Chelsea/City, well whilst that's highly unlikely it's not impossible, probably the biggest difficulty they will have is taking players away from Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, London even Manchester and Liverpool ... Newcastle is a great night out but apart from that why would you?
Chill. I’m sure Donna, Daniel and big Steve Itching have a business continuity strategy to defend against this new competitor. They are always one step ahead

:levywtf::levywtf:

Yep and we are left behind as per usual under our cunt of a chairman and owners. Newcastle will propel up the table like City, whilst our club constantly underachieves. The only way to get true success is too get taken over by extremely rich owners, that’s the truth of it.

Knowing our luck we are more likely to get a new owner like the Glaziers rather than a state run trillionaire. Someone buying us with debt, taking money out of the club via interest payments and not investing is miles more likely than anything else I suspect.

Do people actually want to be owned by the Saudis?

Newcastle being bought for them may be good for Newcastle, but bad for the game as a whole.

I suspect everyone is in agreement about that. What some people will want in a squeaky clean owner who’ll pump billions into the club. About as much chance of that as me selling them these magic beans…

I suspect everyone is in agreement about that. What some people will want in a squeaky clean owner who’ll pump billions into the club. About as much chance of that as me selling them these magic beans…
Some elements in our fanbase (and in other non petro club fanbases as well) seem to be scizophrenic. They want the moral high ground of fighting against the petro clubs and doing it the right way. But at the same time want the benefits of being a petro club.

Bit weird.

Chelsea recorded a profit last year because they shifted about £200 million in transfer fees to just outside the financial reporting period.
Once those figures (Mendy, Havertz, Chilwell, Ziyech and Werner) are on the books they had a roughly £160 million deficit. Then they will have to report the fee for Lukaku as well.
Last year's accounts (year before in real terms) was where the TV revenue shift, and early Covid impact, allowed clubs to manoeuvre fees around, same will apply to accounts we will see next year for the season that has just finished.

Hard to tell what the true picture is, Chelsea were miles ahead of anyone else in the numerous loan tactic that was allowed until this season, that made them a huge amount of money, 400m income from players sold in the last four years ...

That's no longer allowed with loan limits now in place ... will indeed be interesting to see not in the coming accounts as they will be Covid impacted - but in the accounts for this season which will be available early 2023.

Another nail in football's coffin.

I am completely apathetic to it. Genuinely couldn't care less if NUFC win the Premier League title for the next 10 years consecutively.

£1mn a week wages here we come - Kane to Newcastle in January?

Getting ready to be bombarded by all the pundits going on about what a huuuuuge club Newcastle is, as they challenge for silverware while utterly disregarding FFP in the next few seasons and we languish around 8th.

But we have a nice stadium...
Yay GIF by YoungerTV

Thank heavens they've sorted out that dodgy yet trifling business with a TV company. That really stuck in the craw.

Public beheadings for adultery and sodomy (sic), stonings, whipping (frequently resulting in death) and torture, women subjected to virtual slavery, murder of dissidents, complicity in international terrorism, the fanatical spreading of the most extreme, sub-medieval version of their religion worldwide.

No problem, step this way

Getting ready to be bombarded by all the pundits going on about what a huuuuuge club Newcastle is, as they challenge for silverware while utterly disregarding FFP in the next few seasons and we languish around 8th.

Yay GIF by YoungerTV
"Sir Bobby would be so proud. He was a staunch supporter of snuffing out women's and minority rights".

Yay GIF by YoungerTV

Personally I wouldn't want to be owned by them just so we have more chance of winning a trophy. Not for me.

Not going to judge others though, if that's what floats your boat....

Personally I wouldn't want to be owned by them just so we have more chance of winning a trophy. Not for me.

Not going to judge others though, if that's what floats your boat....
Well you have three options in the modern game really as far as I can tell.

1. Acknowledge football is all about the money and stop wasting time on it.
2. Accept we are going to be a mediocre club scratching around the Europa places under the ENIC model.
3. Get a moustache twirling, human rights abusing, billionaire. Call him daddy and wallow in the "glory"

Pick your poison, it's all shite from where I'm standing.

Well you have three options in the modern game really as far as I can tell.

1. Acknowledge football is all about the money and stop wasting time on it.
2. Accept we are going to be a mediocre club scratching around the Europa places under the ENIC model.
3. Get a moustache twirling, human rights abusing, billionaire. Call him daddy and wallow in the "glory"

Pick your poison, it's all shite from where I'm standing.
2, increasingly leaning 1.

Fucking cosmic

Back
Top Bottom