Comparing THFC versus Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely piss my pants at the nonsense spouted in this forum......people cried their eyes out that we don’t spend big like our rivals..we don’t pay the wages, we buy cheap punts.

Levy Out

Then Levy joins the super league to give these twats their 300M a year transfer windows and suddenly every cunt is grass roots and wants to use the kids and pay peanuts.

Levy Out

A few weeks later and we’re sucking Chelsea’s balls again

I genuinely piss my pants at the nonsense spouted in this forum......people cried their eyes out that we don’t spend big like our rivals..we don’t pay the wages, we buy cheap punts.

Levy Out

Then Levy joins the super league to give these twats their 300M a year transfer windows and suddenly every cunt is grass roots and wants to use the kids and pay peanuts.

Levy Out

After extensive research over many decades scientists have come to the shocking conclusion that football fans are fickle.

Levy Out

Levy Out

Welcome back matey.

At this time, this is an interesting comaprison to make. THFC and Chelsea are very similar clubs financially. Chelsea have slightly more commercial revenue, Spurs has slightly more match day. If both are in the CL, revenue is very similar.

The difference the two clubs approach the transfer market is stark, even though they have very similar resources

Levy
-Wont sell players that are obviously not good enough
-Wont fire the manager quick enough
-Managerial hirings mixed at best
-Doesnt back the manager, doesnt buy their top choices
-Doesnt buy older players
-Doesnt buy what we need, rather what is cheap
-Constant meddling in team affairs
-Rips the fans off at every opportunity
-Damages our chances of winning, sacks the manager before a final, sells players from under the manager, buys players the manager doesnt want
-Penny pinches on salaries and transfers so we often lose out on the best players
-Youth system failing. 1 top talent during his tenure. Spurs struggle to fill the home grown, and English national criteria every year

Abramovich
-Gets rid of underperforming players and managers
-If the manager doesnt perform hes out the door by November, no matter who he is
-Generally good managerial appointments
-Gets the manager players he wants, top players
-Takes opportunities to buy experienced players on frees (Thiago Silva)
-Buys positions that are needed, doesnt create squads based on cheap deals and lopsided positions filled
-Does everything he can to get the team to win (transfers, wages)
-Pays good salaries, but still within FFP. Spending has calmed down since early 2000's but Chelsea just buy smarter to make up for less money available
-Arguably best youth system in country - Mount, Abraham, Gilmour, Timouri, Jones, Huson Odoi. They also buy alot of English talent.

So from your list

-Wont sell players that are obviously not good enough. Won't sell players for below his valuation of them, plus players have to want to leave.
-Wont fire the manager quick enough- Before Mourinho would be argued that he sacked managers too early, and your problem further down is he sacked Jose too early
-Managerial hirings mixed at best - Is that not the same with all clubs ?
-Doesnt back the manager, doesnt buy their top choices - Can't disagree here
-Doesnt buy older players - If the occasion requires it he will, e.g. Van der Vaart, Sissoko, Naybet, Saha, Nelsen, Adebayor, but agree in the main will go for players with anticipated sell on value.
-Doesnt buy what we need, rather what is cheap - Goes back to previous point of not buying top choices, does not mean we don't buy what we need
-Constant meddling in team affairs - Bollocks
-Rips the fans off at every opportunity - Can't disagree at all
-Damages our chances of winning, sacks the manager before a final, sells players from under the manager, buys players the manager doesnt want - Drivel especially the selling of players, and covered previously
-Penny pinches on salaries and transfers so we often lose out on the best players - No doubt we have lost some players due to his antics
-Youth system failing. 1 top talent during his tenure. Spurs struggle to fill the home grown, and English national criteria every year - We have not failed to fill home grown criteria during tenure, in fact for good portion we were supplying half the team to England. Who have Liverpool (well TAA is all I can think of) or Woolwich had come through their system. Chelsea's model is very different to ours and almost every club going, stockpile loads of players, loan them out and hope some stick. Rules are coming in to stop this practice

Replies in bold.
What I see the difference between Tottenham and Chelsea. Chelsea is a football club with football as its primary aim, we are now just part of a property portfolio, and expected to return a profit. Where I agree with you is under ENIC ultimate football success is not the aim, but doing enough to maximise revenues on minimum possible investment and give a good return to the owners is the goal, and why ENIC need to be replaced.

Last edited:
At this time, this is an interesting comaprison to make. THFC and Chelsea are very similar clubs financially. Chelsea have slightly more commercial revenue, Spurs has slightly more match day. If both are in the CL, revenue is very similar.

The difference the two clubs approach the transfer market is stark, even though they have very similar resources

Levy
-Damages our chances of winning, sacks the manager before a final, sells players from under the manager, buys players the manager doesnt want
-Penny pinches on salaries and transfers so we often lose out on the best players
-Youth system failing. 1 top talent during his tenure. Spurs struggle to fill the home grown, and English national criteria every year

Abramovich
-Gets rid of underperforming players and managers
-If the manager doesnt perform hes out the door by November, no matter who he is
-Generally good managerial appointments
-Gets the manager players he wants, top players
-Takes opportunities to buy experienced players on frees (Thiago Silva)
-Buys positions that are needed, doesnt create squads based on cheap deals and lopsided positions filled
-Does everything he can to get the team to win (transfers, wages)
-Pays good salaries, but still within FFP. Spending has calmed down since early 2000's but Chelsea just buy smarter to make up for less money available
-Arguably best youth system in country - Mount, Abraham, Gilmour, Timouri, Jones, Huson Odoi. They also buy alot of English talent.

Trophies won Levy 1 League Cup
Trophies won by abramovich 5 league titles, 1 CL, 1 europa, 7 domestic cups,

I just hate everything about the club at the moment.
Levy - dont like the way hes runing things
Manager - dont like the way the manager never gets backed, then blamed when things go tits up. Doesnt matter who we get as manager because he will never get the players he wants or funding he deserves. Weve had progressive managers like Poch, defensive managers like Mourinho. Both were let down.
Players - above all else, I just dont like this group of players. Bar Kane, lloris and Son they are annoying and frustrating to watch. Working hard all week and spending your Saturday watching PEH, Winks and Sissoko in midfield is not my idea of fun. Ive not enjoyed us playing for a long time. In fact id go as far as saying they ruin my weekend. I literally hate this team.

So you have to ask yourself. I hate the chairman, whatever manager we get its no use. I hate the players, I hate the way we play. I hate the whole ethos of the club, to dare is too dear.

A few weeks ago I decided I am going to support chelsea. Since then I am enjoying football again. It isnt going to go down well on this forum, but so what. Its my life, I'll do as I want. We get good managers, good players. We are always comeptitive. We play good football. I advise you all to save yourselves. This club is not worth the torture. Leave it like you would a poisinous ex wife. Pick a team that you like and actually tries to win. This team will forever let you down.
Levy

Agree with that, it’s stupid and it makes the squad stale.

In the case of Jose yes 100%. Not so sure on others, Redknapp was perhaps 1 year to soon.

Correct although Chelsea’s are somewhat as well.

Has done with Jose mostly. Prior sometimes.

to be fair we Levy works under Lewis so he has to think about resale

I would say at points yes and no.

A lot of rumours about this, let’s just say I want a DoF.

haha yes.

Not always, mixed.

Difficult to compete with the likes of Liverpool, the new stadium was about being able to generate profit to spend more. We will see.

A lot of teams fail at this, we have Skipp and a few others but we could better.

I would say on balance you make good points but are harsh. For me the Stratford and ESL are far bigger stains on Levy.

People are having a go but how’s he wrong? Our chairman couldn’t win a raffle. Having owners like the Sheik & Roman are the difference to building a winning side. Even the late chairman at Spurs is better than our living chairman!

People are having a go but how’s he wrong? Our chairman couldn’t win a raffle. Having owners like the Sheik & Roman are the difference to building a winning side. Even the late chairman at Spurs is better than our living chairman!

How is he wrong when his premise is that everyone should switch to Chelsea fans? You are confused by how that is wrong?

As for the points he makes as mentioned he ignores the fact that Roman is a criminal backed by Putin and able to take whatever money out his likes with zero concern about long term financial stability, FFP rules or regular business practices that a non-criminal has to worry about.

Roman can spend 200m whenever he wants because if it doesn't work out and Chelsea can't return any of that money back to him he just goes back to Russia and steals 200m more. ENIC, for all their many faults, can operate like that. They can't blow 200m and say oops, oh well. That is not a viable way to operate a legitimate business.

If you want to use a comparable to us to complain about ENIC, Liverpool is the example because their ownership is much more comparable to ours. There is a lot to criticize ENIC for, they have been awful owners, but crying that they don't run us like a criminal with a foreign governments backing is not one of them.

What a silly thread

Everyone knows there is only a thin gap between ourselves and chelsea

:memelol:

Holy crap is was ridiculous when you cried about this the first time now you are doubling down by crying about it in another thread?

Imagine if fans up and down the country only supported their team based on expectation of being successful. There would only be a handful of professional teams in existence.
I think they don't necessarily expect success but they have performance expectation... eg top half if you've finished 11th last three years. Ours are too lofty, maybe...

He's wrong about switching to Chelsea you stupid cunt.

Back
Top Bottom