Comparing THFC versus Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not really bandwagon. Its sick to death of supporting a team that doesnt want to win.

And looking across the road at a team that does things in a way you admire.

Am I consigned to have my weekends ruined to eternity because I liked Gazza as a kid and he happened to be playing for Tottenham? Feck that.

Spurs buy players based on age profile and whether their value is likely to increase. Chelsea buy players if they are good at football.
I doubt that the owners don’t want to win.

If you ignore for a second the owners motives JL & RA ) and of course the arguments about the origins of their wealth ( some other clubs supporters are far from complimentary about Uncle Joes business operations) then it comes down to the fact that Spurs long term plan was to go all in on a stadium and saddled the club with massive debt associated with the rebuild and probably believe that route will improve matters on the field . Whereas over in SW London they clearly did not see the same benefits by choosing that route and see that spending on the field will see an increase other income streams and find success by that route

For me it’s absolutely pointless having a lovely stadium unless it brings success on the field but to achieve that you have to buy experience and or exceptIonal talent. The decline of Woolwich should have altered the board to the risks but that debate has been well aired.

There of course would be no good time for a pandemic but from a Spurs perspective it couldn’t have come at a worse time. Not having any gate receipts for in effect a full season is a position that would only be mitigated by a % if CL had been achieved. It looks that for a second season that ain’t gonna happen

Its abundantly clear that the sacking of Jose was of relief to many and probably even Jose himself because the current squad without investment isn’t going to get any better and next season the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and yes Chelsea will as a minimum be on a par with this season

One way or another funds have to be injected into the Spurs squad but with the imminent repayment of the HM Gov £175 million loan and missing out again on CL then I can’t see how or where those funds come from unless one or two of the Crown Jewels ( Kane & Son ) are sold whereas at Chelseas finances are in far better shape making a significant profit in 2019/20 due to selling Hazard and to date the € 106million they have received with another €15 million minimum still to come which is up from the €66 million they received in 19/20
whereas at Spurs the €55 million received in 19/20 when playing in the CL is down to €12 million for this seasons EL exploits!

I dread to think what sort of summer it will be at Spurs first off they are going to have find an experienced replacement for Jose but getting any sort of established manager to come in unless there are significant transfer funds then that’s difficult but it’s the outgoings that will be more relevant in any such discussions

So yes the two clubs operating models are vastly different but for me the difference between the two clubs lies with those who make the decisions and their long term aims not just on the field but their potential personal gains

LOL

What a pure garbage post, from the points to the whole idea that a post talking about how some loser switched clubs and not only switched but switched to a rival because he saw them having more success.

I imagine that based on this posters history this is very much a troll post because if it were a true switch of clubs, and by the a massive LOL at your use of we when discussing Chelsea the club you started supporting yesterday, you would have just switched and not had to make a massive look at me thread on here.

Also if you think that Spurs and Chelsea are very similar clubs financially then you are an idiot or just willfully ignorant about how Roman gets his money.

Have to agree.

The notion that anyone honestly believes or sees us as similar clubs or that others agree with the post is a shocker.

Enough said really.

Last edited:
Chelsea and Man City are both in the champions league final because they have out spent much more than any other team....
It's not rocket science, you pay to win.

It's a bit more than that but yes.

Let's just say Tuchel and Guardiola would not have taken our squad or Woolwich's to CL glory this season although I absolutely do believe both would have done a lot better than an abject Mourinho did.

At this time, this is an interesting comaprison to make. THFC and Chelsea are very similar clubs financially. Chelsea have slightly more commercial revenue, Spurs has slightly more match day. If both are in the CL, revenue is very similar.

The difference the two clubs approach the transfer market is stark, even though they have very similar resources

Levy
-Wont sell players that are obviously not good enough
-Wont fire the manager quick enough
-Managerial hirings mixed at best
-Doesnt back the manager, doesnt buy their top choices
-Doesnt buy older players
-Doesnt buy what we need, rather what is cheap
-Constant meddling in team affairs
-Rips the fans off at every opportunity
-Damages our chances of winning, sacks the manager before a final, sells players from under the manager, buys players the manager doesnt want
-Penny pinches on salaries and transfers so we often lose out on the best players
-Youth system failing. 1 top talent during his tenure. Spurs struggle to fill the home grown, and English national criteria every year

Abramovich
-Gets rid of underperforming players and managers
-If the manager doesnt perform hes out the door by November, no matter who he is
-Generally good managerial appointments
-Gets the manager players he wants, top players
-Takes opportunities to buy experienced players on frees (Thiago Silva)
-Buys positions that are needed, doesnt create squads based on cheap deals and lopsided positions filled
-Does everything he can to get the team to win (transfers, wages)
-Pays good salaries, but still within FFP. Spending has calmed down since early 2000's but Chelsea just buy smarter to make up for less money available
-Arguably best youth system in country - Mount, Abraham, Gilmour, Timouri, Jones, Huson Odoi. They also buy alot of English talent.

Trophies won Levy 1 League Cup
Trophies won by abramovich 5 league titles, 1 CL, 1 europa, 7 domestic cups,

I just hate everything about the club at the moment.
Levy - dont like the way hes runing things
Manager - dont like the way the manager never gets backed, then blamed when things go tits up. Doesnt matter who we get as manager because he will never get the players he wants or funding he deserves. Weve had progressive managers like Poch, defensive managers like Mourinho. Both were let down.
Players - above all else, I just dont like this group of players. Bar Kane, lloris and Son they are annoying and frustrating to watch. Working hard all week and spending your Saturday watching PEH, Winks and Sissoko in midfield is not my idea of fun. Ive not enjoyed us playing for a long time. In fact id go as far as saying they ruin my weekend. I literally hate this team.

So you have to ask yourself. I hate the chairman, whatever manager we get its no use. I hate the players, I hate the way we play. I hate the whole ethos of the club, to dare is too dear.

A few weeks ago I decided I am going to support chelsea. Since then I am enjoying football again. It isnt going to go down well on this forum, but so what. Its my life, I'll do as I want. We get good managers, good players. We are always comeptitive. We play good football. I advise you all to save yourselves. This club is not worth the torture. Leave it like you would a poisinous ex wife. Pick a team that you like and actually tries to win. This team will forever let you down.
I'd rather stand up in my local and sing the entire back catalogue of ABBA whilst wearing a skintight tutu than support Chelsea.
Still,each to their own,eh...

Where do even start with this? I get being dissalusioned but if i ever get to that stage i'd knock football on the head altogether or go and support my local non league team where there are no expectations. Going to support the successful team is the stuff of 6 year olds.

Back
Top Bottom