Controversial opinions about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Aside from him probably seeing it as a slight if he gets denied it, I see no reason for Kane to be captain of the club once Hugo leaves or retires.

I don't see enough leadership out of Harry to justify it. Either by talking or doing.

I'd argue that Dier, Davies and Hojbjerg should be ahead of him in the pecking order for captaincy. Dier in particular.

Aside from him probably seeing it as a slight if he gets denied it, I see no reason for Kane to be captain of the club once Hugo leaves or retires.

I don't see enough leadership out of Harry to justify it. Either by talking or doing.

I'd argue that Dier, Davies and Hojbjerg should be ahead of him in the pecking order for captaincy. Dier in particular.
Totally agree. Kane will always have gravitas because of his talent but he’s not a captain imo.

Lloris is an amazing captain. I’d go for Hojbjerg or Dier. Whoever is likely to get more games.

Højbjerg as captain only if he remains a regular after Bissouma gets settled in and Skipp returns from injury...

I think Poch's tenure should be reexamined. Did he get the best possible results, or underachieved to some extent?

Did he improve his players a lot? I'd say yes.

Did he then use those players to achieve the maxium possible number of points over a season? Not always.

Did he get his tactics right in the big games? Not very often.

Did his influence make the academy better? No

Did his influence on transfers make this better or worse? I think he made things a lot worse.

Could Conte and Mourinho (of that time) have achieved a league title or a cup in those seasons? I think they would have.

Depends on how you see a leader, he's a player who leads by example (bar Golf gate) the one who everyone in the club looks up to, all the youngsters etc... he sets the example on and off the pitch etc...

Which is why he's Southgate's captain as well I guess.

He's not a vocal player like Hojbjerg or Dier or Lloris but he's definitely someone who can lead a team with his gravitas and his standing.

I think being a captain is kinda overrated especially these days regardless, in our squad it's not as if Kane is the only one who can influence the other players, we have a load of leaders in our squad and players who have multiple personalities to fulfil the role.

Depends on how you see a leader, he's a player who leads by example (bar Golf gate) the one who everyone in the club looks up to, all the youngsters etc... he sets the example on and off the pitch etc...

I think being a captain is kinda overrated especially these days
Been saying this for some time. The identity of the captain on the pitch is as relevant to the team as the name of the club's security manager.

Last edited:

He's not a vocal player like Hojbjerg or Dier or Lloris but he's definitely someone who can lead a team with his gravitas and his standing.

I think being a captain is kinda overrated especially these days regardless, in our squad it's not as if Kane is the only one who can influence the other players, we have a load of leaders in our squad and players who have multiple personalities to fulfil the role.

Personally, I was quite amused about how seriously Brits seem to take the captaincy role in sports, team captain, club captain etc.

Personally, I was quite amused about how seriously Brits seem to take the captaincy role in sports, team captain, club captain etc.

Yeah it seems like The Brits like to have someone who symbolises an alpha male, chest beating, blood and guts kinda persona, I think that's pretty old skool now, there are many different types of leaders these days.

Back
Top Bottom