Controversial opinions about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didnt like Paul Gascoigne not as player because he was obviously class but as a bloke. I know its since come out he has a lot of issues but i thought the supposed humour was utterly infantile and that he was a really crap proffesional. I was at the 91 final and everyone was clapping him off after the injury but he was just such a dick that he could and should have been sent off 2 times over which would have probably cost us the game. I also hated the fact we basically became Gazza Hotspur for a few seasons.
I sort of see what you are saying,and I loved the bloke.
He was basically a little boy that never grew up. Got a good few stories of a really decent side to him though. I lived in Hoddesdon,so saw him and other players around all the time as many players lived there or there abouts.

I used to feel a bit of a dick when I watched us play Southampton and we both sang “Oh when the _ “. Theirs makes more sense given that they’re actually called The Saints.

If you deep it there's a lot of truth in it.
He didn't have much of a pass in him, and often slowed things down with dribblin rather than open up space/moving the ball forward. He also offered nothing in front of goal in open play or set pieces.

I sort of see what you are saying,and I loved the bloke.
He was basically a little boy that never grew up. Got a good few stories of a really decent side to him though. I lived in Hoddesdon,so saw him and other players around all the time as many players lived there or there abouts.
Yeah i've got a lot more sympathy for him now as he's obviously pretty messed up but at the time i just thought he was a bit unproffesional and just couldnt get the hilarity about his antics.

He didn't have much of a pass in him, and often slowed things down with dribblin rather than open up space/moving the ball forward. He also offered nothing in front of goal in open play or set pieces.

Sometimes a player just brings a more subtle, understated contribution to a team.

Poch-Ball started to take shape when Mason & Betaleb brought energy and commitment back to our MF, but the whole thing went up a level when Poch finally realised the player he had in his hands with Dembele (instead of using him as a late sub to wind the clock down on the right wing! LOL***)........

(***The AVB/Sherwood period grossly distorted the perception of whom and what we had in our squad and tbf Poch had a massive re-assessment job on his hands when he arrived; resulting in his initial mass-clear out of Kaboul, Lennon, Capoue, Paulinho etc. One may recall; Poch came close to selling Dembele too!)

He was the understated component that allowed Eriksen & Dele time and space to play at their very best...... The impact of him drawing 2 or 3 players and still coming away with the ball was huge.

(Look back at those frustrating games where Eriksen was a timid, ineffectual ghost.... How many of them were without Dembele owning the field behind him?)

At his best he was simply un-playable.

Last edited:
Sometimes a player just bring a more subtle, understated contribution to a team.

Poch-Ball started to take shape when Mason & Betaleb brought energy and commitment back to our MF, but the whole thing went up a level when Poch finally realised the player he had in his hands with Dembele (instead of using him as a late sub to wind the clock down on the right wing! LOL***)........

(***The Sherwood period grossly distorted the perception of whom and what we had in our squad and tbf Poch had a massive re-asseement job on his hands when he arrived; resulting in his initial mass-clear outof Kaboul, Lennon, Capoue, Paulinho etc. One may recall; Poch came close to selling Dembele too!)

He was the understated component that allowed Eriksen & Dele time and space to play at their very best...... The impact of him drawing 2 or 3 players and still coming away with the ball was huge.

(Look back at those frustrating games where Eriksen was a timid, ineffectual ghost.... How many of them were without Dembele owning the field behind him?)

Oh to have Dembele in the midfield today against good pressing teams like Liverpool.

Sometimes a player just bring a more subtle, understated contribution to a team.

(***The Sherwood period grossly distorted the perception of whom and what we had in our squad and tbf Poch had a massive re-asseement job on his hands when he arrived; resulting in his initial mass-clear outof Kaboul, Lennon, Capoue, Paulinho etc. One may recall; Poch came close to selling Dembele too!)

What he did, he did very very well, no doubt about that. One of the problem we have we getting overrun by the likes of Southampton and Villa would be greatly reduced with Dembele in the team.

He was a special player but he still had the flaws I described. Even PEH has more of a knack for getting into goal scoring chances, even if he constantly fucks them up.

I think Poch said he if he had a young Dembele he could turn him into the best player in the world, and I think he'd want to coach that side of the game into Dembele.

A little late to this party but here's mine:

Moura is wasted on the flank. I think he'd be better as a one top. He actually has a great shot, he's speedy, surprisingly good in the air. If his main job was to score rather bring the ball up and provide for others, I think he just might contribute more.

What he did, he did very very well, no doubt about that. One of the problem we have we getting overrun by the likes of Southampton and Villa would be greatly reduced with Dembele in the team.

He was a special player but he still had the flaws I described. Even PEH has more of a knack for getting into goal scoring chances, even if he constantly fucks them up.

PEH scores a few more, but is vastly inferior in other areas.... Modric is an all-round better player, but still doesn't score much. His goal tally was never of particular concern to me..... Especially as we had 4 double figures per season scorers ahead of him.

Side thought: Rose & Walker were rarely criticised for lack of end product, but look at what we demand of FBs/WBs just a few years later...... Doherty gets G&As...... Yet he's not a patch on Walker in terms of overall contribution to the way we play..

I honestly believe that Moussa Dembele may be the most important and influential player of the Poch era. Furthermore, and by virtue of that, the most important player we have had in the PL era.

I’m not discounting the incredible team we had under peak poch. But dembele was the catalyst and conduit for all of the brilliance. Champs league, platform for style of play, etc. we could’ve nose dived after Avb, instead we had the best couple of years we’ve had in decades - that arguably had allowed us to attract the calibre of manager, sponsors and players we now have. I will miss him from now until forever.

He also eye gouged Costa, the fucking prick. GOAT status.

Last edited:
PEH scores a few more, but is vastly inferior in other areas.... Modric is an all-round better player, but still doesn't score much. His goal tally was never of particular concern to me..... Especially as we had 4 double figures per season scorers ahead of him.

Side thought: Rose & Walker were rarely criticised for lack of end product, but look at what we demand of FBs/WBs just a few years later...... Doherty gets G&As...... Yet he's not a patch on Walker in terms of overall contribution to the way we play..
No suggestion from my end about PEH being the better player, just pointing out that Dembele was a pretty flawed player, who was even less of a goal threat than PEH, who is also pretty poor in that regard.

Dembele has just become a bit of a nostalgic meme. He was great but nowhere near as good as his reputation would suggest.

There's a meme among Spurs players to say that Dembele was the best player in the team under Poch, but that's clearly not true, Kane was far better a striker than Dembele was a CM.

Controversial Opinion:
This is the best Spurs shirt of the PL era.
I've got one of the nike ones and it's just not well made. This shirt was really comfortable to wear.

eng_pl_1997-99-TOTTENHAM-HOTSPUR-SHIRT-XXL-31237_1.jpg

No suggestion from my end about PEH being the better player,

I understood this.

just pointing out that Dembele was a pretty flawed player,

....And it's the extent that he is flawed that I am questioning.

Virtually no players have zero flaws.

who was even less of a goal threat than PEH, who is also pretty poor in that regard.

Not every #8 is gonna be a Gerrard-style 'Roy of the Rovers' type.

....I was looking at De Jong's recent G&As earlier; they're only nominally better than PEH, but of course there's other aspects of his play that lead to him being rated much higher.

I think the positive influence of Dembele's play far out-weighs the "he didn't G&A much" detraction.

Dembele has just become a bit of a nostalgic meme. He was great but nowhere near as good as his reputation would suggest.

I'm sure if you scoured the match threads you'd find plenty of evidence to counter your theory.

Regardless; sometimes as the cliche goes "you don't know what you've got til it's gone".

There's a meme among Spurs players to say that Dembele was the best player in the team under Poch,

You're talking about a extremely tiny minority. ....If you dig deep enough you'll find fans that think all sorts of outlandish things.

...There's also a difference between someone being a favourite and one genuinely believing they are the best.

Controversial Opinion:
I've got one of the nike ones and it's just not well made. This shirt was really comfortable to wear.

Immediate reaction....... I miss having a full crest/logo rather than the current minimal cock & ball iteration.

"Audere Est Facere" should be present.

Controversial Opinion:

Odd because I remember this shirt being itchy as fuck. Might have been my mums washing powder!

Not a bad looking shirt though on reflection though the logos all look a bit close don't they?!

A little late to this party but here's mine:

Moura is wasted on the flank. I think he'd be better as a one top. He actually has a great shot, he's speedy, surprisingly good in the air. If his main job was to score rather bring the ball up and provide for others, I think he just might contribute more.
That’s a good take. He’s awful wide, far more effective in the middle of the pitch. I just hope we don’t see him in either position for us as we have far better options

Back
Top Bottom