Controversial opinions about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Controversial opinion:

We have a decade long, hillariously well-proven, lack of ability to screen our transfer targets in term of their mental habitus and their personal motivations and quirks.

When they get here, we are further very, very bad at integrating them and keeping them on their toes, in other words a cultural issue within the organisation.

This weeks exhibit: Lol Celco, admitted to the UEFA CL team of the week.
Woolwich are the same. United too, to an extent. It's definitely a problem.

I didnt like Paul Gascoigne not as player because he was obviously class but as a bloke. I know its since come out he has a lot of issues but i thought the supposed humour was utterly infantile and that he was a really crap proffesional. I was at the 91 final and everyone was clapping him off after the injury but he was just such a dick that he could and should have been sent off 2 times over which would have probably cost us the game. I also hated the fact we basically became Gazza Hotspur for a few seasons.

I didnt like Paul Gascoigne not as player because he was obviously class but as a bloke. I know its since come out he has a lot of issues but i thought the supposed humour was utterly infantile and that he was a really crap proffesional. I was at the 91 final and everyone was clapping him off after the injury but he was just such a dick that he could and should have been sent off 2 times over which would have probably cost us the game. I also hated the fact we basically became Gazza Hotspur for a few seasons.
I know what you mean, i always thought his behavior off the pitch was embarrassing. But i loved him as a player. He really was a special footballing talent, unfortunately a complete twat off the pitch.

All his team-mates loved him publicly but i bet in private few would have chosen to hang around with him voluntarily. His friends were mostly ass-lickers and hangers-on who lived off his Gazza personality, something which ultimately hurt him because when the fame and glory faded most of them fucked off.

Controversial opinion:

We have a decade long, hillariously well-proven, lack of ability to screen our transfer targets in term of their mental habitus and their personal motivations and quirks.

When they get here, we are further very, very bad at integrating them and keeping them on their toes, in other words a cultural issue within the organisation.

This weeks exhibit: Lol Celco, admitted to the UEFA CL team of the week.

Yeah I did say this a few months back in the Gio thread, whilst he hasn't covered himself in glory since he's been here at the same time the culture of our club has been rotten, he's had 5 managers in 3 years for Christ sake, as some point he's going to mentally check out...we can't hold everyone to the same standards of Kane and Son and even then Kane didn't want to play for Nuno and completey downed tools.

Son the adopted... son is now more "one of our own" than Kane is.

When the chips were down one wanted out, the other committed the rest of his career to us. That's a big big gesture in my book.

I'm sure neither love the club unconditionally, but you could say Son's love of the club is less conditional than Kane's.

When the chips were down one wanted out, the other committed the rest of his career to us. That's a big big gesture in my book.

I'm sure neither love the club unconditionally, but you could say Son's love of the club is less conditional than Kane's.
I agree with both the comments on Son and Kane and Gascoigne's character loved the player, the blokes an over indulged man child with a sense of humour bypass.

Last edited:

(Not sure if my take is controversial, but.....)

Anything that pits Son vs Kane can fuck off tbh...... I know the phenomena is not helped by some SK fans being fans of the player rather than the club, but sick of Spurs fans doing this with our players.

(As for last summer, I don't think it had much to do with the proverbial chips being down; more simply that Kane had his head turned.......)

Anything that pits Son vs Kane can fuck off tbh...... I know the phenomena is not helped by some SK fans being fans of the player rather than the club, but sick of Spurs fans doing this with our players.

(As for last summer; I don't think it had as much to do with the chips being down as it was that Kane simply had his head turned.......)

You'll always get some so called 'fans' doing this. They will never change - time to take the nuclear option and block them badbois.

(As for last summer, I don't think it had much to do with the proverbial chips being down; more simply that Kane had his head turned.......)
Good that it's in the controversial opinions thread.

Poch is finished as a coach on top level.

After he realised that the players can't cope with a full season of his intensive football he has shown that he doesn't have the ability to make players play any other type of football and get a result of out of it.

He's eye for talent sucks.

He's tactics regarding youth, having them train with the team rather than loaning them out to get regular game time in adult football have probably destroyed a few careers.

Oh come on; let's not pretend that was the perceived controversial aspect of what you said.
Well, a Kane vs Son topic is bound to rile up a few people regardless of what the topic is. Though yeah, in this instance that wasn't the point.

How about another controversial take? I find the "stop comparing them" thing pretty whiny. A sane and emotionally stable person can compare them without losing their shit. I've criticised both plenty but they're both still on my profile pic, and have been from the start.

Well, a Kane vs Son topic is bound to rile up a few people regardless of what the topic is. Though yeah, in this instance that wasn't the point.

How about another controversial take? I find the "stop comparing them" thing pretty whiny. A sane and emotionally stable person can compare them without losing their shit. I've criticised both plenty but they're both still on my profile pic, and have been from the start.

I've not "lost [my] shit"..... Grow up and spare me the petty point-scoring whatabout-ism.

.....And maybe you haven't noticed, but the people that revel in these Kane v Son cunt offs are rarely "sane and emotionally stable".

I've not "lost [my] shit"..... Grow up and spare me the petty point-scoring whatabout-ism.

.....And maybe you haven't noticed, but the people that revel in these Kane v Son cunt offs are rarely "sane and emotionally stable".
I wasn't accusing you of anything... but there it is. Why you getting so upset?

Just cos a handful of nutters like Ndombadboy exists doesn't mean there's a need for people to get so defensive.

I wasn't accusing you of anything... but there it is. Why you getting so upset?

I'm not..... I'm perfectly capable of disagreeing with someone without being upset/angry/losing my shit.....

Don't let the odd swear word fool you.

You've indirectly accused me of being "whiney", "losing [my] shit" and lacking "sanity or emotional stabilty"..... Own the connotations of your words and expect a retort.

On topic... No-one suggested either player is beyond criticism. It's the act of using one to demean or boost the other that I'm bringing in to question..... It's not just a Son/Kane thing either. It's is a 'thing' and it's lame, counter-productive and more than a bit 'play-ground'.

I'm not..... I'm perfectly capable of disagreeing with someone without being upset/angry/losing my shit.....

Don't let the odd swear word fool you.

You've indirectly accused me of being "whiney", "losing [my] shit" and lacking "sanity or emotional stabilty"..... Own the connotations of your words and expect a retort.

On topic... No-one suggested either player is beyond criticism. It's the act of using one to demean or boost the other that I'm bringing in to question..... It's not just a Son/Kane thing either. It's is a 'thing' and it's lame, counter-productive and more than a bit 'play-ground'.
I did mean the whiny part about you, but not the other bits, the other bits I meant for the people doing the comparing, as in someone doing the comparing isn't automatically insane and prone to shitting all our players.

There is definitely a difference between comparing the quality of the two players vs just shitting on one for the sake of boosting the other, as Ndombadboy often does with Kane.

I find that people see a comparison between Son and Kane, and the red mist descends and they can't which is which. Actually, there's a general tendency to be overly defensive about our players, unless they've designated an acceptable target, like Winks, people get far too upset if someone criticises our players a bit harshly.

Everything between people is personal as a wise man once said. I love Harry Kane but last summers attempt by him and his idiot brother to force a move to a club that prioritised Jack Grealish over him tainted my affection.

Still think Kanes a triffic player, ( sit down fan boys here it comes) still think he is a better player than Son.....BUT Son's behaviour when we were on our ass under Nuno extending his contract tipped the scale. You learn who has your back when you are down and I learn and wont forget.

Son gets it, he feels it, and was prepared to put us ahead of himself. They both deserve to win something at Spurs but Sonny has surpassed Kane in his loyalty and genuine affection for the club. I also see that love in Dele to broaden the discussion and break the Kane Son obsession, Dele over both Bale and Modric for me in regards genuine falling in love and going Yiddo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom