Coventry (H) Results & Mid-Season Ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

zin

Supporter
Correct as of 5th November 2012
See rest of thread for updates

Average player rating so far this season (excludes league cup game against Carlisle which had no ratings submitted and excludes Van der Vaart's 2 games). Games played are at the bottom and average rating at the top. Average player rating for all players is 6.16.

w79Vk.jpg

Best XI?

051112125444.png

Here's our match peformances in the sequence the matches were played. Average match rating is 6.30. As you can see we've been below average for a few games now. Wigan game is still open for votes.

dTsdq.jpg

Here's our match performances by best to worst.

qcG0l.jpg

The above graph shows it almost perfectly, although I thought we were better against Chelsea than we were against Maribor and Panathinaikos, especially going forward.

The above graph shows it almost perfectly, although I thought we were better against Chelsea than we were against Maribor and Panathinaikos, especially going forward.

I agree. However Walker, Gallas and Dempsey got such low rating in the Chelsea game it dropped the overall score. Maribor and Panathinaikos everyone was mostly below average but noone stood out or what utter tripe.

Update - 25.11.12

MF60X.jpg

With 18 games played (excluding Carlisle (A) which did not get any ratings) Walker remains the only player to have played every single game with Lennon close behind. With November being a poor month for most involved, if we ignore Falque who only got 2 rated games under his belt, Dembele remains top in the average ratings followed by Sandro, Vertonghen and Lloris.

Average deviation remains high for Defoe who either excels or frustrates, joining him in this venture is Adebayor and with both being our only recognised strikers we can only hope those don't both mis-fire at the same time. Dempsey and Gallas are also inconsistent with Dempsey being either bad or terrible. With such a small sample Dawson and Assou-Ekotto remain the most consistent however with a larger sample Dembele and Caulker lead the way on consistency, and not the bad kind.

November has seen two sub-4 performances from Adebayor and Dempsey and one 4.00 performance again from Dempsey. It has however also seen three high scores in Bale and Defoe against Maribor (8.50 and 8.70 respectively) as well as 8.32 from Lloris vs Lazio. Walker, Defoe and Dempsey stand out in sub-5.5 performances whilst Vertonghen still leads the way in over-7.5 performances with 4, Sandro and Bale likely to catch up sooner rather than later with 3 each.

Dempsey is winning the race by a long way in terms of worst performance in a match with 5, whilst Vertonghen and Sandro are fighting it out for the most MOTM awards.

Interesting stuff, but I never fall for the average ratings argument. Ratings go up inexplicably if the ball crosses the line even by an inch.

Likewise Defoe could be innocuous all game but score two goals and pick up a huge match rating. That said there's an argument that scoring goals deserves to be rated highly as it changes the game.

I dunno, ignore me. I would delete what I just wrote but that would mean I would have completely wasted the last 60 seconds, so fuck you. Fuck your time as well.

Good thing it's not just average ratings I'm presenting then Flav :levystare:

I think Defoe's stats cover what you are saying, his MOTM awards were both when he scored 2 against Reading and 3 against Maribor yet he's also been the worst player on the pitch twice and had more sub-5.5 performances than over 7.5s and his average rating reflects that he's below the average of 6.12.

Here's some more average rating graphs just for you.

XGlEd.jpg

I wonder if it's typical for forwards/strikers to have the biggest standard deviation, which might address Flav's suspicion of bias regarding scoring. As in, a player scores, and half of the crowd inflates their ratings tremendously, whereas the other half of the crowd sees the goal as a shining moment in a sea of inky nothingness. (I imagine "Av. Dev." is the average of each match's standard deviation, not the standard deviation of all the ratings put together)

Perhaps, but look at Adebayor vs City, he didn't score and behind Sandro was the best player on the pitch, when was the last time you could say that about Defoe?

United, in my opinion.

The United game was his highest rating where he didn't score yes, with a respectable 7.12, but seeing as the average rating for that match was 7.23 he was still below average. In fact every single game he has not scored in his rating has been below the game average, in most cases well below, even in the QPR game where he scored his rating was below average!

@Éperons Av. Dev is the standard deviation of each player's average rating for each match and not the deviation of the player deviation.

I think he was just really harshly for that united game. I would have had him in the top two or three players of that game.

Should have put in your match ratings then :defoe:

Out of 27 votes in that game only 2 people put him in their top 3 and only 1 person put him in their top two... I think we'll leave it to differing opinions.

Should have put in your match ratings then :defoe:

Out of 27 votes in that game only 2 people put him in their top 3 and only 1 person put him in their top two... I think we'll leave it to differing opinions.
Anti-Defoe bias. #ZINOUT

Obviously though, this is our own personal ratings, and people will feel differently. But I felt Defoe had a massive impact against united. A fair few funs to stretch the defence, set up the Bale shot that led to the third. Held it up when he could and put himself about in the second half, trying to slow united down.

West Ham (H) 3-1

With victory comes our best game rating of the season with 7.35, beating the previous high of 7.23 away to Man Utd. One of the main reasons for the high rating is the excellent team performance throughout the whole team, with the lowest rating going to Tom Huddlestone with a respectable 6.72, his second highest rating of the season after the 6.91 which he got against Maribor at home.

With his brace Defoe wins MOTM with a rating of 8.00, closely followed by the other goal scorer Bale with 7.88 and Lloris, who once again performed extremely well, with 7.86. A special mention should also go out to Clint Dempsey who not only got his highest rating of the season with 7.42, eclipsing his previous highest of 6.80 he got away to Man Utd, but also for the first time in 13 games got a rating which was above the team average. 13th time lucky for the American.

Further positives include Michael Dawson getting his highest rating of the season in his 5th game with 7.36, much better than his previous high against Maribor at home which was a 6.85, and Kyle Walker who with a 7.08 finally broke the over-7 barrier at the 19th time of asking by beating his previous high of 6.77 vs Reading away. The home game vs West Brom however still remains the only time he has gotten a rating above the team average so has still more to give.

No negatives really to report on, Lloris the only player getting a lower rating from his previous match, but that's to be expected with the incredible performance he put in against Lazio. As a side note this is one of the few times TFC has given lower ratings than GG! With Bale MOTM for TFC and Lennon the worst player for GG.

ucoxn.jpg

How the FUCK is Caulker below Dempsey?
People don't see him because he does what Ledders did, only folks haven't gotten their eyes open to that yet, not to mention more than half of all football fans never rated King in the first place cause they're blind

Verts rating is largely based on his performances at LB so I don't think that should necessarily make him first choice CB...

Not saying he shouldn't be first choice CB mind, just that the statistics presented don't necessarily add up to that IMO...

I do think that when Kaboom is fit, Caulker is a difficult man to drop. The potential there is immense and that potential will not be realised with him playing in the in the reserve team.

:avbcringe:

Back
Top Bottom