Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can’t get my head around the universal adulation for this guy already

Guess it really does show the desperation within this fan base right now
What part of what I've said do you disagree with exactly?

I've acknowledged he plays right on the edge and this will go against in and the team in a fair number of games. I've also been very quick to point the errors he's committed that so many were blinded to and tried to pin of Dier because of their bias towards him.

This is a player that's going to get pinned and rolled by CF's because he'll be too tight. He'll miss some of his interceptions which will potentially take him out of the game. He'll get sent off a few times per season and probably suspended due to racking up many yellows. These are all significant negatives to his game.

So what are you disagreeing with?

Last edited:
What part of what I've said do you disagree with exactly?

I've acknowledged he plays right on the edge and this will go against in and the team in a fair number of games. I've also been very quick to point the errors he's committed that so many were blinded to and tried to pin of Dier because of their bias towards him.

This is a player that's going to get pinned and rolled by CF's because he'll be too tight. He'll miss some of his interceptions which will potentially take him out of the game. He'll get set off a few times per season and probably suspended due to racking up many yellows. These are all significant negatives to his game.

So what are you disagreeing with?

I don't mean to answer for another user or anything.

But I have to say I don't fully buy into the thinking that "he is what he is, but he is brilliant despite making mistakes". If he makes mistakes, it shows lack of judgement. However you try to frame it, it is true for defender.

If you just think of prime Toby-Jan - were they super aggressive? Were they prone for misjudgement? Did they get sent off? Answer to all of them is "no".
Despite that, their passing ability was massive asset. Their cross-field balls and accurate long balls helped our build up massively.

If we get a 50-mil player that is good in the build-up yet misjudges situations in defense, then I say that we have a poor deal for that kind of money. From central defender I don't want overly risky behaviour. From CB I want strong defending that would be as free of errors as possible.
Or to put it another way- I don't want to see new Aurier in CB position - he too was strong, aggressive, rather fast. But had massive errors in him. I want new Toby or Jan. Specially for that kind of enormous price.

I don't mean to answer for another user or anything.

But I have to say I don't fully buy into the thinking that "he is what he is, but he is brilliant despite making mistakes". If he makes mistakes, it shows lack of judgement. However you try to frame it, it is true for defender.

If you just think of prime Toby-Jan - were they super aggressive? Were they prone for misjudgement? Did they get sent off? Answer to all of them is "no".
Despite that, their passing ability was massive asset. Their cross-field balls and accurate long balls helped our build up massively.

If we get a 50-mil player that is good in the build-up yet misjudges situations in defense, then I say that we have a poor deal for that kind of money. From central defender I don't want overly risky behaviour. From CB I want strong defending that would be as free of errors as possible.
Or to put it another way- I don't want to see new Aurier in CB position - he too was strong, aggressive, rather fast. But had massive errors in him. I want new Toby or Jan. Specially for that kind of enormous price.
Do you think Ramos was shit CB?

Do you think Ramos was shit CB?

No.
Actually I even to continue my thought with his example.

And to add that "if his output in positive side would be similar to Ramos, then we might be talking". But there has been absolutely 0 evidence that it could be there up to now.

If he ends up there - fair play. I then can admit it has been worth it.
Also I have to admit I did not watch 20+ Real games every season, but peak Ramos was useful in passing + in corners and he took his share of red cards, but moments where his decisionmaking and composure let him down any other way to be sent off are very rare in my memory.
Then there is other thing of... being that Ramos is Ramos, and he was truly awesome at his peak. But he has been pretty much one of the kind. But beside him there are tens and tens (if not hundreds) players who are not composed enough and just make mistakes.

So far I have seen lot less output from attacking / creative point and lot less composed and solid defending from Romero.

I want new Toby or Jan. Specially for that kind of enormous price.
Well if we give Eriksen's Missus a call in about 18 years, she might be able to provide one! :vertna:

The agreement between Spurs and Atalanta is a season-long loan deal with an option - not obligation - to buy for £42.5million.

Furthermore, all parties expect the deal to go through next summer hence why a five-year contract has already been agreed between Romero and the north London outfit.

Like Gollini, I can't find a mention of the Romero loan fee on Google search.

Last edited:
No.
Actually I even to continue my thought with his example.

And to add that "if his output in positive side would be similar to Ramos, then we might be talking". But there has been absolutely 0 evidence that it could be there up to now.

If he ends up there - fair play. I then can admit it has been worth it.
Also I have to admit I did not watch 20+ Real games every season, but peak Ramos was useful in passing + in corners and he took his share of red cards, but moments where his decisionmaking and composure let him down any other way to be sent off are very rare in my memory.
Then there is other thing of... being that Ramos is Ramos, and he was truly awesome at his peak. But he has been pretty much one of the kind. But beside him there are tens and tens (if not hundreds) players who are not composed enough and just make mistakes.

So far I have seen lot less output from attacking / creative point and lot less composed and solid defending from Romero.
Ramos has the 2nd highest number of red cards ever awarded to a professional footballer of all-time are rare occurrence they were certainly not (since 2000 no one has more!), Zlatan, Alves, Medel, Alexis, Mascherano & Pepe all well into double digit numbers.

I'm NOT making like for like comparisons. I'm saying some players are a "net gain" in what they bring to the team, from their attitude and how their presence balances the entire structure of the team (right now his biggest influence on the team is his aggression and front footedness along wth his ability to pass out from the back, something we simply haven't been able to do with Sanchez (despite Sanchez playing a lot better under Conte).

His being in the side is a net gain taking into account his plus vs minus, where he will at times throughout the season cost us a goal and maybe even some points.

Daaaaamn you guys are really bored are you trying to assess a player and he has barely kick a ball for us in a new league for him. you people tripping.

Fall Falling GIF by VCG Construction

Back
Top Bottom