Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who made Garth Crooks' Team of the Week?

Cristian Romero: The block on Joe Willock's strike on goal was nothing short of brilliant. The Newcastle player looked certain to score. Romero has caught my eye before while playing for Spurs and he's starting to look like a real player in the Premier League. The longer the game went on against Newcastle the better Romero got. Composed under pressure and very comfortable on the ball when he's not. However, manager Antonio Conte really needs to fix this Jekyll and Hyde culture in Tottenham's performances if they are going to secure fourth spot.

Did you know? Romero is averaging 4.5 combined tackles and interceptions per 90 minutes in the Premier League this season, the most of any Spurs player (minimum 500 minutes played).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the head-scouts at some of the "big" clubs are being questioned about why they let Romero "get away"....

In the days leading up to Messi leaving the Camp Nou, MARCA reported that one of the reasons why he hadn't signed a new deal was to do with the club failing to secure the services of Argentinian international Cristian Romero.

Romero ended up signing for Tottenham Hotspur for 55 million euros and has since admitted to Radio AM 550 that Messi wanted him to come to Barcelona.

"The fact that Messi would want me in his team, and that he wanted me to come to Barcelona is amazing," said Romero.

To the tune of 'Robert Deniro's Waiting'

"Christian Romero's waiting
Stalking your strikerrrrrs......."

Last edited:
He has completely won me over.

I'd like us to sign a centre-half who is really good in the air for the left side of the back 3, to make us stronger at defending set-pieces (keep Davies as a backup). It's the only area I could say Romero looks a bit weaker on, so I think having a player who can cover that weakness (if it can really be called that) would help us out.

He is looking like a superb player right now though.

That’s unreal, there can’t be more than a handful of central defenders in the world who can nick the ball off a dribbler like ASM while he’s in full stride. Hell there aren’t many fullbacks who could do it either.

Just did a bit of research and I think you're onto something:

Any player earning five bookings from their side's first 19 Premier League matches will serve a one-match ban in the same competition. Yellow cards are not carried over to the EFL Cup or FA Cup.

Players who accumulate 10 yellow cards in Premier League matches, up to and including their team's 32nd fixture, will serve a two-match suspension in the competition.

Today was round 31.
It might have been round 31 but it is individual and we have played 30 matches meaning 2 matches to go. I believe he has 8 bookings meaning he would have to pick up a yellow card in both our next 2 matches. The good thing is he avoided a card against Spammers that was always going to be difficult and yesterday despite it getting a bit feisty. Hopefully Conte has got to him to be more careful.

When we first signed him some of you were really vocal in putting him down and playing down his ability and used all sorts of mental gymnastics purely to discredit him, why?

When we first signed him some of you were really vocal in putting him down and playing down his ability and used all sorts of mental gymnastics purely to discredit him, why?

Does it really matter? This does nothing other than just stirs up the pot.

Pretty much every loves the guys and rates him really highly at the moment, so I don't know what purpose it serves to look back aside from just making problems.

Back
Top Bottom