Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sounds as though this season was an outlier for his injuries.

it isn't. He missed a good chunk of the copa america with injuries. His campaign was a lot like Kane 2019 CL. Missed most games except the group stage due to injury. Manager still started him in the final. Unlike Kane, he was elite, until he was subbed off fairly early in the second half due to injury.

Argentine fans were shitting themselves cos of that sub.

it isn't. He missed a good chunk of the copa america with injuries. His campaign was a lot like Kane 2019 CL. Missed most games except the group stage due to injury. Manager still started him in the final. Unlike Kane, he was elite, until he was subbed off fairly early in the second half due to injury.

Argentine fans were shitting themselves cos of that sub.

Ummm... and Copa America was when?
Jun-Jul 2021.
Which is where he got injured.
Which meant that he had no preseason as he himself pointed out in the comment...

Though when I went back to check his recent seasons data - then he has had 2x injury pauses that have caused missing 3 games both. Total of 6 club games missed due to injuries before Spurs.
However in Spurs :D :D ... hamstring injury forced him out for 16 games + this hip issue in the end of season 3 games + he missed 1 with knee injury and 2 with quarantine.
Overall he was forced to sit out 7x more games during his first spell with Spurs compared to his whole previous club career.

Why am I not surprised :D :D :D

Maybe but he wouldn't be the first player to come to England and start picking up injuries. In fact if you look at all the Argentinians we've had in the last few seasons, Lamela, Lo Celso, Foyth and Romero have all had major injury issues. I hope that Romero is more robust.
Centre back definitely should be more resilent - can walk though 25% of our games without sprinting more than once or twice in a single game

Maybe but he wouldn't be the first player to come to England and start picking up injuries. In fact if you look at all the Argentinians we've had in the last few seasons, Lamela, Lo Celso, Foyth and Romero have all had major injury issues. I hope that Romero is more robust.
All coming from different leagues. I'm certain you didn't mean to imply Argentinians are somehow more prone to injury than Britains?

The common factor there is actually our physio room. At least one Argentinian I can think of who's quite small, Aguero, was very stable most of his tenure in the EPL.

All coming from different leagues. I'm certain you didn't mean to imply Argentinians are somehow more prone to injury than Britains?

The common factor there is actually our physio room. At least one Argentinian I can think of who's quite small, Aguero, was very stable most of his tenure in the EPL.

Hmmm :gallashmm:

Centre back definitely should be more resilent - can walk though 25% of our games without sprinting more than once or twice in a single game
Romero has by far the highest number of tackles of any PL CB lol
He is a battering ram of a CB, and sometimes that comes back to bite you.

Romero has by far the highest number of tackles of any PL CB lol
He is a battering ram of a CB, and sometimes that comes back to bite you.
Get that, so potentially bumps and bruises but should be less prone to things like hamstring strains etc. CB’s can jog through some games without breaking sweat, v different to a WB/CM/attacker

3 pages long!!! .......It's not pretty.

TBH, "our physio room" is just another in a long line of false "only Spurs" memes.....

Every club has players that fit the description.

'I would also like the mention 'Cuti' [Cristian] Romero – he's one of the top defenders in the world without doubt.'

When pressed more on Romero, who hails from Cordoba – the same city in Argentina as Ardiles, he added: 'It's not easy to arrive in English football and acclimatise straight away. It can take quite a long time to do so.

'It looked to me as if he done so extremely quickly. He's very good with the ball, without the ball and is a very good defender. He still needs to learn a few things – he's made one or two mistakes – but he's very clever and will learn from those mistakes.

'But what is his ceiling? I wouldn't like to speculate on that. Making comparisons with other players, I'm not so sure. But I don't know who is better [than him] right now. That is debatable.

'Before he made his move to Atalanta, he already stood out for the national team. For Argentina, some rotate, some play, sometimes they don't. People like [Lionel] Messi and Romero play all the time, so it gives you an idea of how highly-rated he is.

'He's an outstanding player – I'm delighted Spurs have him.'

'I would also like the mention 'Cuti' [Cristian] Romero – he's one of the top defenders in the world without doubt.'

When pressed more on Romero, who hails from Cordoba – the same city in Argentina as Ardiles, he added: 'It's not easy to arrive in English football and acclimatise straight away. It can take quite a long time to do so.

'It looked to me as if he done so extremely quickly. He's very good with the ball, without the ball and is a very good defender. He still needs to learn a few things – he's made one or two mistakes – but he's very clever and will learn from those mistakes.

'But what is his ceiling? I wouldn't like to speculate on that. Making comparisons with other players, I'm not so sure. But I don't know who is better [than him] right now. That is debatable.

'Before he made his move to Atalanta, he already stood out for the national team. For Argentina, some rotate, some play, sometimes they don't. People like [Lionel] Messi and Romero play all the time, so it gives you an idea of how highly-rated he is.

'He's an outstanding player – I'm delighted Spurs have him.'
Can't disagree with that. It's so obvious that on the ball he's totally composed and his defending is just on a different level. Would be hard pressed to find a CB that combines these two at the level that Cuti does. What a fucking signing. I still pinch myself sometimes that he's actually our player.

ITALIA (4-3-3): Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Emerson; Pessina, Jorginho, Barella; Bernardeschi, Belotti, Raspadori. Ct: Roberto Mancini.
A disposizione: Cragno, Meret, Florenzi, Acerbi, Bastoni, Spinazzola, Cristante, Locatelli, Pellegrini, Politano, Scamacca, Tonali.
Indisponibili: Sirigu, Berardi, Immobile, Zaniolo, Kean, Chiesa, Verratti, Toloi, Insigne
ARGENTINA (4-3-3): E. Martinez; Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Acuna; De Paul, Guido Rodriguez, Lo Celso; Messi, Lautaro, Di Maria. Ct: Lionel Scaloni.
A disposizione: Armani, Musso, Montiel, Pezzella, Perez, Senesi, Mac Allister, Palacios, Gomez, Alvarez, Correa, Gonzalez
Arbitro: Gomez (Cile)
Assistenti: Schiemann e Rios (Cile)
IV uomo: Gil Manzano (Spagna)
Var: Hernandez (Spagna)
Avar: Martinez Munuera (Spagna), Martins (Portogallo)

Back
Top Bottom