Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you'd rather risk pissing your employees off instead of using the rest of your work force to step up their game?

Fair enough.

I don't see why we should have any issue with any footballer wanting to not only represent their country but do so at an Olympic games.

I hope Romero goes and wins it all tbh
Argentina's first game in the Copa America is on June 20th, the final is on July 14.
The first game in their Olympics' group is on 25th July, the final is the 10th August.
That's over 7 weeks of competitive football before the Premier League kicks off a week later on 17th August.

Argentina's first game in the Copa America is on June 20th, the final is on July 14.
The first game in their Olympics' group is on 25th July, the final is the 10th August.
That's over 7 weeks of competitive football before the Premier League kicks off a week later on 17th August.

Breaking news: professional footballer plays professional football

Plenty of pre-season game-time for Dragusin, Phillips, Vuskovic, Dorrington & whoever else we might end up buying on the summer then.

We'll find a way to give Romero some time off..... We'll probably look to give Mickey a good rest after the summer too.

Then for the first EPL game we'll probably start Radu & VVD.... No drama.

Plenty of pre-season game-time for Dragusin, Phillips, Vuskovic, Dorrington & whoever else we might end up buying on the summer then.

We'll find a way to give Romero some time off..... We'll probably look to give Mickey a good rest after the summer too.

Then for the first EPL game we'll probably start Radu & VVD.... No drama.
Big drama

Topknot will be loaned out, shocking signing

He's a very good defender and on top of that absolutely fearless and a bit of a lunatic at times regardless of the occasion or the opponent. The kind of defender most strikers want to avoid.

Last edited:
He's a very good defender and on top of that absolutely fearless and a bit of a lunatic at times. The kind of defender most strikers want to avoid.
This is going to sound daft but I've been to like three of the last five home games and I'm getting really frustrated with what the system has happening infront of Romero and VDV. Like it's almost a reverse of our previous coaches where the personnel's shortcomings killed the system. Oddly a move conventional system would make us so much harder to beat. An orthodox defensive midfielder an target man to work both boxes and a byline winger. In Romero Udogie Sarr VDV Vicario we should be better than this and harder to beat.

This is going to sound daft but I've been to like three of the last five home games and I'm getting really frustrated with what the system has happening infront of Romero and VDV. Like it's almost a reverse of our previous coaches where the personnel's shortcomings killed the system. Oddly a move conventional system would make us so much harder to beat. An orthodox defensive midfielder an target man to work both boxes and a byline winger. In Romero Udogie Sarr VDV Vicario we should be better than this and harder to beat.

The players you just described there are looking good in this system.

Udogie and Sarr are thriving in this system. Romero looks world class whereas last year people were on his case and VDV is amazing but also perfectly suited to this system.

Honestly feel like most of people's complaints are because this fan base has got addicted to the freshness of a new manager and now the freshness has worn off with Ange and the system.

doesn't help that the players are still learning it and adapting to using it against teams set up to stop it. It's not new to our opponents anymore either. Now it's stage 2 when it's about mastering it.

He controls, dictates and invites pressure. Which then opens up space for him to break the lines. Which he does better than most on the planet.

If we lack any urgency, it's nothing to do with Romero. He's the reason we're elite in our own third on the ball.
Good point...if there's little to no movement in front of him, it's hard for Cuti to play at a fast tempo.

Plus it's something new about him, he's usually quick at making decisions. Probably coincides with our shoddy MF/attacking play of late.

He's baiting the press to draw the opposition out, people want him to play it quick and risk losing the ball so that the opposition has an easy turnover and create a 2v2 lol

Good point...if there's little to no movement in front of him, it's hard for Cuti to play at a fast tempo.

Plus it's something new about him, he's usually quick at making decisions. Probably coincides with our shoddy MF/attacking play of late.

It's hard for some people to grasp because they want to just see full blooded heavy metal football. But we're baiting opponents.

If you're against a low block, you need to force them out and drag them out of position somehow.

Palace away was a brilliant example. Romero and van de Ven passed between themselves about 100 times to try and pull Palace towards them. Eventually they did, broke the lines and it resulted in our second goal.

Doesn't work all the time, but it's clearly our plans against these sort of teams. And we're pretty good at it for the most part. It's our final third that lacks most of the time. Big summer needed.

Doesn't mean he does it quickly, though, does it?

I slept like 3 hours last night and had a mad one today, so apologies if being thick.

It's by design, he waits to draw the pressure onto him and that opens space to create a mini numbers advantage transition to play through.

Our build up is a million times better at this stage against teams that press us. First half yesterday wham tried to press at least to halfway and we played through them really well. that's where the goal came from.

Second half they were deep block only. By that point the speed that Romero plays forward is irrelevant.

Really if the forwards had passed to each other on the edge of their box first half we'd have probably won comfortably.

The players you just described there are looking good in this system.

Udogie and Sarr are thriving in this system. Romero looks world class whereas last year people were on his case and VDV is amazing but also perfectly suited to this system.

Honestly feel like most of people's complaints are because this fan base has got addicted to the freshness of a new manager and now the freshness has worn off with Ange and the system.

doesn't help that the players are still learning it and adapting to using it against teams set up to stop it. It's not new to our opponents anymore either. Now it's stage 2 when it's about mastering it.
Not sure what you mean by 'freshness of coaches' and I kind of made the point that the players are good. My point not really addressed by your comment on the fan base( I speak for myself) is about the way we are playing regards the system actually putting pressure on our core of excellent players. Post the first ten games regardless of injuries we are not maximising this talent.

As an example for people who can't seem to see it isn't some heresy to question the coach about how we are playing. The game against Villa at home, we battered them multiple players out the lesser spotted Bryan Gil playing, and still the accuracy and movement the speed of execution was so much better. Lately Ange talks about 'our way ' and funnily I'm seeing less of the core principles that initially worked so well. It's like we have fallen somewhere between the pragmatism and Ange's preferred system. Its not working particularly well imho. I think he has actually compromised slightly and its not really serving us.

Back
Top Bottom