Cristiano Ronaldo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is the first page of a Portuguese sports newspaper that celebrates Portugal's victory by putting Cristiano Ronaldo as its symbol.

Does your concept of discussion begin and end with the topic you want to say or read?

The front pages of international sports newspapers (Italy, Spain, Portugal, France) or the sports part of the English ones are an interesting window on the world. Some users who write crap are more spam.

Then if you want to ignore me it's your right but don't tell me that everyone writes interesting and reasonable things about these first pages

I doubt many on here can read Portuguese. Some can barely read or write English.

It’s just a picture of Ronaldo. There’s no discussion there. Post whatever you want. I’ll moan about or ignore whatever I want, but don’t pretend these endless copy & paste newspaper images constitute a discussion.

Scotland. A lot of English people would probably class Scottish as a foreign language I reckon 😆
I like trying to pick up other languages though, German is supposed to be easy for Scots to learn but I found it more difficult than French.

I am from Wales and I found my ability to speak fluently to Scottish people always increased with every pint of beer I drank in their company. It was a huge relief to discover that they weren't calling me by the wrong name ...Ken.... but were in fact asking me did I understand the point of their statement ..Dae ye ken ??
Luckily I found the same rule applied when I came to live in Ireland with the Guinness and I have now been fully adopted by my local farming fraternity. Must be a celtic thing.

I am from Wales and I found my ability to speak fluently to Scottish people always increased with every pint of beer I drank in their company. It was a huge relief to discover that they weren't calling me by the wrong name ...Ken.... but were in fact asking me did I understand the point of their statement ..Dae ye ken ??
Luckily I found the same rule applied when I came to live in Ireland with the Guinness and I have now been fully adopted by my local farming fraternity. Must be a celtic thing.
A Celtic thing and also an alcohol thing 😆
Where I live people don’t tend to have a strong accent and other Scots have even mistaken me for English or more commonly label me “posh” which I find rather amusing.
I lived in Australia for a few years and most people there that met me initially thought I was English - to be fair I probably was making an effort to speak properly so they could understand me.

pvs2y.jpg

I'm betting it would prove a tipping point that drew an awful lot of others gratefully out of the closet.

Bang on. I don't think a player of, say, Exeter city coming out as gay would really change much in the world, but a genuine footballing superstar would make a big difference.

Bang on. I don't think a player of, say, Exeter city coming out as gay would really change much in the world, but a genuine footballing superstar would make a big difference.

Bad enough admitting you play for Exeter!

:pritchardeyes:

Seems a bit excessive.

My personal and completely uninformed opinion is that I could imagine him being guilty. He seems like a smarmy, egotistical prick who might feel he was untouchable. But that’s all it is...opinion.

At the moment this is an accusation (albeit one that sounds particularly dodgy). Let’s assume for a moment that he’s innocent, and that he paid out some cash to stop her lying to the press (in essence, blackmail). Companies like EA removing his images from their website seems wrong to me. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Seems a bit excessive.

My personal and completely uninformed opinion is that I could imagine him being guilty. He seems like a smarmy, egotistical prick who might feel he was untouchable. But that’s all it is...opinion.

At the moment this is an accusation (albeit one that sounds particularly dodgy). Let’s assume for a moment that he’s innocent, and that he paid out some cash to stop her lying to the press (in essence, blackmail). Companies like EA removing his images from their website seems wrong to me. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

that has gone out of the windoow since weinstein and me too

SSN reporting that a court order has been issued against Ronaldo for the rape allegations to get his DNA, also the woman in question has waived her right to anonymity.

Cristiano Ronaldo rape allegation: lawyer confirms police have issued warrant for DNA

fogueres fogueres
Her waiving her right to anonymity makes me suspicious of the claim, I'm not sure if that's shitty victim-blaming culture that makes me a bad person or what - but that's my honest gut reaction.

I can only think of 2 reasons a rape victim would want to not remain anonymous. 1 is they believe the authorities are botching/burying the investigation and want to be in the public eye putting pressure on the case to move forward in an honest manner (which doesn't seem to be the case as LVPD seems to be going about this case in a thorough and careful manner). The other, obviously, is the attention that such notoriety brings and the ability to spin that into personal gain.

Apparently there was an agreement and he paid her off, so there had to be something there. But then, cynically and possibly making me a terrible person again, she's a model whose professional value is directly tied to the ability to attract attention in the public forum...what better way to get publicity?

I dunno, its fucked up. Could definitely see Ronaldo being guilty, but could also easily see this being a similar sort of case to Kobe's. And can see the motive for him to just pay her to avoid the attention originally, $350k is probably 1 day's income or less to him (including endorsements).

If someone said they were going to accuse a person of an act they knew would be difficult and greatly inconvenient to defend themselves from if they didn't give cough up a couple hundred bucks, a lot of peolle probably just hand them the money to go the fuck away. Especially if that person's livelihood is strong derivative of public opinion of them.

This is the problem with #MeToo and social media justice system. Being accused is very damaging, in it's own, and there's really no skin in the game for many false accusers.

Her waiving her right to anonymity makes me suspicious of the claim, I'm not sure if that's shitty victim-blaming culture that makes me a bad person or what - but that's my honest gut reaction.

I can only think of 2 reasons a rape victim would want to not remain anonymous. 1 is they believe the authorities are botching/burying the investigation and want to be in the public eye putting pressure on the case to move forward in an honest manner (which doesn't seem to be the case as LVPD seems to be going about this case in a thorough and careful manner). The other, obviously, is the attention that such notoriety brings and the ability to spin that into personal gain.

Apparently there was an agreement and he paid her off, so there had to be something there. But then, cynically and possibly making me a terrible person again, she's a model whose professional value is directly tied to the ability to attract attention in the public forum...what better way to get publicity?

I dunno, its fucked up. Could definitely see Ronaldo being guilty, but could also easily see this being a similar sort of case to Kobe's. And can see the motive for him to just pay her to avoid the attention originally, $350k is probably 1 day's income or less to him (including endorsements).

If someone said they were going to accuse a person of an act they knew would be difficult and greatly inconvenient to defend themselves from if they didn't give cough up a couple hundred bucks, a lot of peolle probably just hand them the money to go the fuck away. Especially if that person's livelihood is strong derivative of public opinion of them.

This is the problem with #MeToo and social media justice system. Being accused is very damaging, in it's own, and there's really no skin in the game for many false accusers.

It’s certainly a complicated issue.

I come at it from the opposite perspective. Greasy Ron just seems a bit rapey, and I could understand why a victim might accept a lot of cash to make it go away, then maybe later decide to press charges after trying to mentally process what happened to them.

Maybe a percentage of someone’s salary should go to the victim if they’re found guilty (obviously doesn’t work for the unemployed or poor, but it’s an idea). Might help avoid people buying their way out of trouble.

I see your point though.

Back
Top Bottom