Cult Heroes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jason Dozzell
Andy Gray
Roman Vega
Kasey Keller
Steffen Fraud
Matty “Bet 365” Etherington up to the day he was pelted with season ticket books.

:tanguythumb:

Jason Dozzell????
I'm not sure if the below piece of football from him warrants 'cult' status - but when he did it, at least 3 of the letters in CULT came out of my mouth.

I'm not sure who the match was against - could have been his last match for us against Coventry in 97 . Anyway, as I recall (in my hazy old memory) he picked up the ball around the centre circle at WHL, there was plenty of space, as none of the opposition bothered closing him down (maybe they all had premonitions of what was to come) and no one was within 10-15 yards. Dozzell looked up ahead, he looked left and he looked right at which lilywhite shirt to pass to, ready to caress the ball sublimely in their direction - at which point he launched it into the top of the East Upper Stand.

ABSOLUTE CULT.

Last edited:
Clough made his debut in 84.
...and Mitchell Thomas joined in '86... he wasn't really a 'thing' till at least '88...

Just checked

1986 and I got Neil Webb mixed up
Metgod also scored

Medication 💊 time!!
Neil Webb.... Nigel Clough...?

I suppose they AAAAALL look the same to you, eh?

Thank your fucky stars they were white... Don't want another awkward case of mistaken identity like* Eamon Holmes had with Ainsley Harriot & Rustie Lee on GMTV, do we?

*don't worry, there wasn't one... I made it up, thought it sounds like it coulda happened!

...and Mitchell Thomas joined in '86... he wasn't really a 'thing' till at least '88...

Neil Webb.... Nigel Clough...?

I suppose they AAAAALL look the same to you, eh?

Thank your fucky stars they were white... Don't want another awkward case of mistaken identity like* Eamon Holmes had with Ainsley Harriot & Rustie Lee on GMTV, do we?

*don't worry, there wasn't one... I made it up, thought it sounds like it coulda happened!

It’s been a long day…..

A lot of posters don't seem to understand what a 'cult' hero is.

Hoddle, Ardiles etc are not 'cult', they were great players admired by all. 'Cult' heroes are usually players that give everything, have a special relationship with the fans through how they might not be the most the most gifted or admired by the media/other fans, they seem to love the club and know what it means to the fans when we win.
The first player that comes to mind with that description is Jermain Defoe. He spent a lot of time playing second fiddle to other strikers (09/10 is the only season I can think of where he was the main man) but he always had a certain rapport with us.

When they first arrived, I think Ardiles (and Villa) were treated with suspicion by football fans other than Spurs fans, simply because they were foreigners who most of late '70s England didn't really warm to...
But WE did!

Roll on to 1982, he was booed from pillar to post BECAUSE he was an Argentinian in the wrong country at the wrong time....
But SPURS fans still loved him.

I think that closes the case for the defence m'lud!

Ardiles is not a 'cult' hero..... 'Ardiles' could be argued was world class, all Spurs fans and most football fans knew and now know that, regardless of the war.... that is not a 'cult' hero....

Sandro, Lamela, Disco Benny.... they are modern 'cult' heroes...... Rudduck, Roberts, Howells, even further back Naylor etc. These are players that other fans usually only see when they play against their own team and because these players might not be technically brilliant or score a worldie in those games, they won't have much of an opinion about them and likewise our own fans who think the team should be stuffed with world class players sometimes don't understand that a team needs players that turn up week in week out and bust a gut for the shirt.

I think you need to resit the bar and come up with a better case.

Jason Dozzell????
I'm not sure if the below piece of football from him warrants 'cult' status - but when he did it, at least 3 of the letters in CULT came out of my mouth.

I'm not sure who the match was against - could have been his last match for us against Coventry in 97 . Anyway, as I recall (in my hazy old memory) he picked up the ball around the centre circle at WHL, there was plenty of space, as none of the opposition bothered closing him down (maybe they all had premonitions of what was to come) and no one was within 10-15 yards. Dozzell looked up ahead, he looked left and he looked right at which lilywhite shirt to pass to, ready to caress the ball sublimely in their direction - at which point he launched it into the top of the East Upper Stand.

CULT.

Jason Dozzell was just shit.... that is not a 'cult' hero

Ardiles is not a 'cult' hero..... 'Ardiles' could be argued was world class, all Spurs fans and most football fans knew and now know that, regardless of the war.... that is not a 'cult' hero....

Sandro, Lamela, Disco Benny.... they are modern 'cult' heroes...... Rudduck, Roberts, Howells, even further back Naylor etc. These are players that other fans usually only see when they play against their own team and because these players might not be technically brilliant or score a worldie in those games, they won't have much of an opinion about them and likewise our own fans who think the team should be stuffed with world class players sometimes don't understand that a team needs players that turn up week in week out and bust a gut for the shirt.
I think you need to resit the bar and come up with a better case.
I will m'lud!

I think you're underestimating what constitutes a 'cult' hero...

Which is why I first mentioned there are two types. Great, and 'not so great'!

There is the (very English) cult hero, who, let's be honest, we all know aren't very good, but we get behind nonetheless.....

Sandro, Freund, Eddie the Eagle.... it's the story of the Underdog, but someone who tries, who cares!
And that is a unique quality in itself, that Football/sports fans are accepting of what it means...

Then there are players who come along (like Ardiles, who was met with suspicion by many English football fans, despite the fact he had a Word Cup winners medal in his pocket when he first arrived) that Spurs fans took to their hearts... We all knew he was good, but he wasn't universally liked, BECAUSE of his country of origin.... That's England's shame, not his (or Spurs fans) we loved him DESPITE public opinion.
Doesn't THAT constitute a 'cult' figure?

There are also players who fans recognise as a favourite, who THEN go on to become great players... That should give fans the benefit of the doubt to recognise something good when they see it... Bale was one... maybe even Kane was another...

Most of Quentin Tarantino or David Lynch's films were already GREAT FILMS, but were deemed as 'cult' when they first came out... Due to the fact that not everyone 'got it' and only a relatively small amount of fans of those directors could recognise, and appreciate the quality of those films... It took the rest of the world a while to 'catch on'...
Hence 'cult'...

It was only years later the rest of the world caught on!

I dunno, 'cult' is a wide term... Fir me, it's "some people get it, some people don't..."

For others, it's a secret type of understanding that they're 'in on something' that everyone else has missed, or not noticed yet....

Last edited:
Yeah you're right. Only reason i said Archibald is because he was quickly a fan favourite and seems a bit overlooked now, even back then to extent but he was a great player so a bit borderline if he was cult. The best mentions are Naylor, Roberts, Ekotto and maybe Nayim but it took him 2 or 3 years to become a cult hero.

Archibald 100% a cult hero to me- yeah he was a class striker but he was just so cool and laid back long hair shirt out not scared to put his foot in - even when his form dropped still wanted him in the starting 11 - if there was one player I would have wanted a pint with at that time it was Archibald - and he knew we’d take good care of him!

Jason Dozzell
Andy Gray
Roman Vega
Kasey Keller
Steffen Fraud
Matty “Bet 365” Etherington up to the day he was pelted with season ticket books.

:tanguythumb:
Lol, that's just a list of shit players.
Vega is an interesting one though, used to get loads of abuse when he played for us I think but in recent years has always spoken positively of the club and got involved in some good trolling

I love those 1991 guys for similar reasons... Had a similar amazing experience(s) out by the gates... Lineker, Erik, Mabutt, Walsh, Stewart, Allen, Sedgely, Howells, Bergson, Nayim... Got a couple of fully signed programmes from those days..... (No Gazza :( )... A really giving bunch of guys..... We'd spend hours outside after the game.
Sedgely was proper Spurs. Seem to remember him making wanker signs to Woolwich players on the pitch back in the day. Can’t remember who the commentator was, possibly Motson, who piped up with “One or two gestures there not fitting of a North London derby…” when he spotted it.

Sedgely was proper Spurs. Seem to remember him making wanker signs to Woolwich players on the pitch back in the day. Can’t remember who the commentator was, possibly Motson, who piped up with “One or two gestures there not fitting of a North London derby…” when he spotted it.
Loved Sedge- he scored a beauty up at Man City in the cup when another cult hero Nayim got a brilliant hatrick

Jason Dozzell????

ABSOLUTE CULT.
Yet he always seemed to play well against us for Ipswich!

Back
Top Bottom