Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

& you know full well that wernt going to happen without bales sheckles coming in!.. & we still ended the window
taking in more than we spent.. need I continue ffs.

How do we know?

Any other chairman would have sold bale for half that figure and I doubt would have reinvested much of it at all.

Considering we don't know the full cashflow of the club, only that we don't have the capacity of other clubs (therefore affecting income), do we really know what the club can and can't afford, before FFP is taken into consideration.

ENIC are an investment company, it's in their interests to take the club forwards whilst maintaining a safe financial future.

How do we know?

Any other chairman would have sold bale for half that figure and I doubt would have reinvested much of it at all.

Considering we don't know the full cashflow of the club, only that we don't have the capacity of other clubs (therefore affecting income), do we really know what the club can and can't afford, before FFP is taken into consideration.

ENIC are an investment company, it's in their interests to take the club forwards whilst maintaining a safe financial future.
fair points other than the bale bollocks.. he was sold long before we knew it otherwise he wouldn't have spent what we did!... but the games about glory!.. its plastered all round enics stadium... they've failed the supporters miserably.

I wasn't suggesting that it was the case; more so that we cannot continue to blame our chairman or benefactors for failing to support our managers in the transfer market when it's clearly not the case. It's bad luck with some of the players we buy.

To an extent, I'm not so sure that's the case. Disharmony and egotism will destroy a team regardless of the individuals within that team. Equally, good team cohesion and understanding is what title-challenging teams are made of; this season we are missing that 'gel', with only a few of our first team players being at the club long term.

I like Gareth Bale and I still look out for him playing for Real, I'd sign him again in a heartbeat and I wish him all the luck in the world; I don't regret him leaving as he's potentially financed a great future for us.

We're also around the same place (if not statistically better) than we were in previous season with Bale, Modric, Berba, Carrick or anyone else you might want to thrown in there. This keeps us proving we can manage without those players.

Yes, there's a chance that GB or Luka would make us better now (not definitely, but possibly), but I look at our team over the years and I think we're making that next step - we just haven't had the luck from our players that has enabled us to take that step.

I do think though that maybe TS will find and grow some future Spurs PL winners from the youngsters, rather than having to pay £m's to buy players who don't play for the shirt

Agree with this. United did very OK after they sold Ronaldo just as he was hitting his prime. It really it is about the team.

We didn't get rid of Harry - Harry got rid of himself. Do you honestly not feel aggrieved that he (openly admitted in his book) to taking his eye off the ball due to England calling. HE WAS EVEN TAPPING UP OTHER MANAGERS TO BE HIS ASSISTANT FOR FUCK SAKE!! We deserve better, regardless of the football he brought with him. No one is bigger than the club.
And I love how AVB is always remember for his Chelsea days, not Porto. Chelsea sacked Mourinho as well (or made his position publicly untenable) - I guess he's shit too!

I don't understand how Harry is remembered in such a good light. He has ruined a couple clubs financially, but is a hero in the media's eyes.

Most non-Spurs fans. Like the Woolwich fans that were calling for Wenger's head after the Villa game this season, and are now lauding him as their saviour once again? Or the Liverpool fans that thought Rodgers was too young and inexperienced for their 'mighty club'?

Everyone knows it all - after the event! - "I told you we'd lose that game. I said he was shit. I knew he'd get sacked". Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!
Well if we judge it on the football avb produced just about the most boring footy I've seen at the lane and I went to many of the games, bale did nothing but cover over the cracks last season, this season we lost 3-0 to west ham 5 to Liverpool and 6 to man city, our players had no motivation during those games, it was untenable with the squad we had. I get it you like avb more than Harry as a person, I don't care for either but the football under Harry was so much better than avb. I am hoping TS is given time because I like the fact he favours attacking football. As for avb at Chelsea it wasn't simply abramovich that got tired of him it was also the Chelsea fans if you know any just ask them, he may have had one good season at Porto with falcoa, mutinho and hulk. I just hope if ts performs we keep him at the end of the season I'm tired of seeing us being laughed at by rivals.

Well if we judge it on the football avb produced just about the most boring footy I've seen at the lane and I went to many of the games, bale did nothing but cover over the cracks last season, this season we lost 3-0 to west ham 5 to Liverpool and 6 to man city, our players had no motivation during those games, it was untenable with the squad we had. I get it you like avb more than Harry as a person, I don't care for either but the football under Harry was so much better than avb. I am hoping TS is given time because I like the fact he favours attacking football. As for avb at Chelsea it wasn't simply abramovich that got tired of him it was also the Chelsea fans if you know any just ask them, he may have had one good season at Porto with falcoa, mutinho and hulk. I just hope if ts performs we keep him at the end of the season I'm tired of seeing us being laughed at by rivals.

it is not a question of liking AVB more than harry as a person. The problem with Harry is that he has no respect to his employers. Like it has been said sank how many clubs financially, when down with QPR after big spending on samba and remy,Tax evasion, wheeling and dealing for another management job while at Spurs, 2 wins in 10 games, tapping our players the other week, the list goes on and on. It is somewhat of a mis attribution affect. Like you say AVB had Bale, Harry had luka Modric who was far more important to us in midfield than anyone else. And he is firmly in the real madrid starting 11.How can you play nice free flowing football with dembele and sandro in midfield.

I've mentioned this topic before I think, totally agree with the football.

Harry's football won us more TV time, everyone was talking about how we played our football and I think that sort of thing helps players to want to join the team.

I have to admit that AVB's football was generally a bit offputting by comparison - granted we had crap games under Harry, but generally we went down in a blaze of glory (as opposed to not getting a single shot on target).

I've mentioned this topic before I think, totally agree with the football.

Harry's football won us more TV time, everyone was talking about how we played our football and I think that sort of thing helps players to want to join the team.

I have to admit that AVB's football was generally a bit offputting by comparison - granted we had crap games under Harry, but generally we went down in a blaze of glory (as opposed to not getting a single shot on target).

Yes we went down far too often in a blaze glory, blowing up a 13 point lead of Woolwich was a bit too glorious for ym liking

Yes we went down far too often in a blaze glory, blowing up a 13 point lead of Woolwich was a bit too glorious for ym liking

To be fair, I draw a line of Harry's football as soon as Fabio Capello walked out as we didn't play our brand of football after that day to be honest, I make the mistake of referencing the games prior to that point as everyone went on an early holiday by then :harryhmm:

Before
walker-king-kaboul-ekotto
---------Modric--Sandro---
Lennon---VDV-------Bale
----------Adebayor
Now:

walker dawson chiriches rose
Lennon-dembele-sandro---eriksen
--------Adebayor----soldado-----

where team will play prettier footbal, is it really that hard to get it?

New stadium is the next logical step but that will kill us especially if we don't start competing in the Champions League with regularity as we are going to need to bring in as much revenue as possible to both be able to make repayments on the stadium loan and to also have left over cash to make informed decisions in the transfer market so as to strengthen our squad.

Both Woolwich and Bayern are recent examples of big teams successfully making the move to a new stadium and both have shown that it is a struggle for example there was a time when Bayern even dropped into the UEFA Cup and there was also a time when in the space of a few days they got totally outclassed by Barcelona I recall and also lost 5-1 to Wolfsburg and went on to lose the league to them. Woolwich would have been a certainty to drop out of the top 4 had it not been for the managerial brilliance of Wenger.

& you know full well that wernt going to happen without bales sheckles coming in!.. & we still ended the window
taking in more than we spent. capoue wanted by top teams.. he nearly went to Cardiff!! & paulinho's 24.. bit old for a wonderkid!. need I continue ffs.
We would have spent had Bale not left, but far less than we did that's for sure. In the end, he reinvested every penny of Bale's recording breaking fee back into the squad. You want him to spend more than we earned just for the sake of it? That would make you feel better, knowing we'd spent £150m just because we earned £110m? Honestly, this whole net spend argument is getting really old. It has nothing to do with net spend, as players are only worth what another club is willing to pay for them. No one has a set value. It isn't Football Manager. At the time, VDV was worth more than £8m. A lot more. But that's what we offered, and they didn't want him. Bale wanted out. Levy was only going to let him go for the right price. Everyone has a price unfortunately, even Fergie and Utd couldn't hold onto Ronaldo, but they got a fee that made it acceptable to let him go. You think Bale was going to end his career with us, just to keep Spurs fans happy? These are are top athletes, working hard everyday to get better and better. If I could go to RM and earn 3 times what I do now, live in the sunshine and play with other superb players in front of 90,000 fans - no wait, an away game at the Britannia sounds much more exciting!

Unfortunately, the game is about glory only for us fans. Chairmen will always think from a financial perspective, wish it were different.
For some chairmen is it. City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga (for a short while!). They have, will, and are spending what is necessary to almost guarantee success. But does that make it worthwhile? Imagine if in the next 5 years we win the league under our sustainable and progressive model that ENIC has stuck by. That will be by far a sweeter victory than that achieved by City or Chelsea, I can assure you.

AVB's football was no doubt less exciting than Harry's, but then Levy can't keep everyone happy. As some of the posts above say, the game is about glory - suggesting they want trophies regardless of the spend or brand of football, just win some stuff!
I disagree. I think we need to try and be the best we can be. I never have and never will have expectations for Spurs to be the best team in the world, or even in England for that matter, but if we can sustain where we are and start paying consistently in the Champions League, I'll be happy with that.

Maybe Bale did paper over the cracks - but regardless, we had Bale, and we got results and finished in a respectable 5th, with a record points haul, extremely unfortunate to miss out on CL. It's the teams that don't have the Bale's, the Luka's, the VDV's, that are sat in mid table still. I think you'll find there are a lot of teams in this country that would like to be us. Most, in fact.

AVB's position was not untenable. He'd had about 4 months to work with a brand new squad. Yes, we'd had some inconsistent, and terrible results. But he still had us in touching distance of where we wanted to be, top 4. Would it of improved had we stuck with him? Who knows. But I don't think you can question his ability to coach, regardless of his players at Porto, he went a season unbeaten and won the Europa League. At his age, that is an amazing achievement.

And if you think Abramovich gives a shit what the Chelsea fans think, think again! The Benitez appointment says it all!!

And I don't 'like' AVB more than Harry as a person. Harry has a far better personality, but he never was, and never will be, what we expect from a manager at Tottenham. He was almost the full package, but let himself down in a key area - actually wanting to manage Tottenham Hotspur.

Good riddance. Onwards and upwards.

read my first post again:confused:!.. re nelsen & saha transfer window

Redknapp all but admitted that he lost interest in the spurs job when his head was turned by the England job gossip, so there's nothing to say that signing another player would have done much to change the shambles to be honest. Short of sacking Redknapp at that point or something.

I just can't see that buying buying buying is the answer - the wise old heads probably did some good in the dressing room (considering one's now a manager that's bought JD!)

Redknapp all but admitted that he lost interest in the spurs job when his head was turned by the England job gossip, so there's nothing to say that signing another player would have done much to change the shambles to be honest. Short of sacking Redknapp at that point or something.

I just can't see that buying buying buying is the answer - the wise old heads probably did some good in the dressing room (considering one's now a manager that's bought JD!)
so it is levys fault either way as he should have sacked him sooner!!.. & they couldn't have been that wise cos we threw away a champions league place which is the holy grail it seems these days.

Back
Top Bottom