Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sometimes it seems too many people think "the game is about glory supporters"...

I often get the feeling, from what I read, that some people don't give a crap about where we'll be in 5 or 10 years time as long as they can win something now at the cost of millions.

This was the league cup in 2008:

710020473-soccer-carling-cup-final-chelsea-v-tottenham-hotspur-wembley-stadium.jpg

Everyone has forgotten about it now (it seems), and if you pretend we spent millions on a squad then and did a Pompey, we'd be in a dire place.

We've actually improved since then.

If you want to sign Rooney/Tevez/Suarez, players who can bring success but for money, then go support a team that will gamble their financial future on that. Would anyone swap places with Blackburn, who (some say) bought the League in 1995 and are now owned by a chicken and got relegated? Or Pompey, who in a short space of time won the FA Cup in 2008 and nearly again in 2010, but are now in decline and can't hardly afford a groundsman. The list goes on.

Stadiums are expensive, it's not an "unlock" for finishing in the top 5 for 3 seasons, and ENIC/Lewis/Levy aren't "milking" the club - I'll bet they're working their asses off to make sure we get closer to a new glory phase that actually lasts, rather than a 'lucky season'. If we make a good financial future then the stadium will pay for itself, if not we'll have what City did after they had all the foundations in place but ended up playing their football a few leagues below the Prem.

I just wish people would have a bit of common sense and maybe grow up a bit. We spent over £100m in the summer on transfers, fees etc. - what more do you want the board to do? I can see they did their best by grabbing a manager who, for all we knew, was the next Mourinho and had a great season all for a bit of bad luck, managed to get the biggest fee ever for Bale who was intent on leaving, reinvested all that money in a guy only outscored in La Liga by Messi/Ronny, buying a brazilian wonderkid, buying an argentinian wonderkid etc etc....

Levy & co probably attend more matches than any other board in the league and they make decisions that, on the whole, represent the majority. I'm not looking forward to the day we're without them in balanced honesty.

Did you get a sense that I disagree with you? I am glad we are owned by this group
Fair enough - lots of people agree with you.

What's nice for me is a few years back my stance that I would far rather have had Chelsea's and/or City's owners or another billionaire benefactor like them, was massively unpopular, even though my view, in the club's interest, was 100% correct - IMHO :).

These days I sense a change of mood, and a lot more seeing that there's nothing great about ENIC, they're just billionaires without the benefacting :)

Fair enough - lots of people agree with you.

What's nice for me is a few years back my stance that I would far rather have had Chelsea's and/or City's owners or another billionaire benefactor like them, was massively unpopular, even though my view, in the club's interest, was 100% correct - IMHO :).

These days I sense a change of mood, and a lot more seeing that there's nothing great about ENIC, they're just billionaires without the benefacting :)

In the last 5 seasons we've spent something like £310,900,000 on transfers. That's the 3rd highest in the league, £80m more than Utd and £80m less than Chelsea. City's is astronomical (£640m).

If we're spending n average smack bang inbetween the club with one of the world's largest revenues and successes and the more notorious playtoy for a billionaire, then I'd say that it's wrong to say that there's no benefacting. Add to that the brand new training ground and potential new stadium....

Where we come into our own is income from transfers - £306,800,000. That's where Levy comes into his own for getting the most from players that want to leave - and bear in mind that on the whole, all the players that we've sold for big bucks have wanted to leave.

We're close to Liverpool for spends/sales but we are only £4m different (they're more like £100m out). Consider what their last 5 seasons have been like, and their heritage, and consider how lucky we have been.

Sometimes it seems too many people think "the game is about glory supporters"...

I often get the feeling, from what I read, that some people don't give a crap about where we'll be in 5 or 10 years time as long as they can win something now at the cost of millions.

710020473-soccer-carling-cup-final-chelsea-v-tottenham-hotspur-wembley-stadium.jpg

Everyone has forgotten about it now (it seems), and if you pretend we spent millions on a squad then and did a Pompey, we'd be in a dire place.

If you want to sign Rooney/Tevez/Suarez, players who can bring success but for money, then go support a team that will gamble their financial future on that. Would anyone swap places with Blackburn, who (some say) bought the League in 1995 and are now owned by a chicken and got relegated? Or Pompey, who in a short space of time won the FA Cup in 2008 and nearly again in 2010, but are now in decline and can't hardly afford a groundsman. The list goes on.

Stadiums are expensive, it's not an "unlock" for finishing in the top 5 for 3 seasons, and ENIC/Lewis/Levy aren't "milking" the club - I'll bet they're working their asses off to make sure we get closer to a new glory phase that actually lasts, rather than a 'lucky season'. If we make a good financial future then the stadium will pay for itself, if not we'll have what City did after they had all the foundations in place but ended up playing their football a few leagues below the Prem.

I just wish people would have a bit of common sense and maybe grow up a bit. We spent over £100m in the summer on transfers, fees etc. - what more do you want the board to do? I can see they did their best by grabbing a manager who, for all we knew, was the next Mourinho and had a great season all for a bit of bad luck, managed to get the biggest fee ever for Bale who was intent on leaving, reinvested all that money in a guy only outscored in La Liga by Messi/Ronny, buying a brazilian wonderkid, buying an argentinian wonderkid etc etc....

Levy & co probably attend more matches than any other board in the league and they make decisions that, on the whole, represent the majority. I'm not looking forward to the day we're without them in balanced honesty.

This is a fantastic post, kudos. I totally agree we have to realise that success doesn't come overnight, we are building some fantastic foundations, what with the state of the art new training ground and hopefully in the next couple of years a top drawer new stadium.

We have bought some incredible young talent that, even if we don't hold on to, we will make a tidy profit out of there sales.

Personally I would much rather defer gratification and enjoy a prolonged period of success rather than just enjoy one season where we fluke a title or the like.

Or we could just get Vinny Tan in.

Definitely - if I had to choose between "instant success and uncertain future" and "slow progression with good foundations" then I'd choose the 2nd, and that's where we're at really.

It's a bit early to tell, but the boundaries of a good manager with Utd are easy to see, a club that perhaps over-acheived due to good stewardship; I'd expect that Woolwich may suffer the same if/when grannyface leaves/retires.

I'm suspicious that since Bale's rise at the end of Redder's reign that we've taken on fans who believe that is the new minimum. If they fade off to supporting another team by September then I'm fine with that.

I'm a supporter and will always look for the positives, despite that earning me some negative ratings.

Definitely - if I had to choose between "instant success and uncertain future" and "slow progression with good foundations" then I'd choose the 2nd, and that's where we're at really.

It's a bit early to tell, but the boundaries of a good manager with Utd are easy to see, a club that perhaps over-acheived due to good stewardship; I'd expect that Woolwich may suffer the same if/when grannyface leaves/retires.

I'm suspicious that since Bale's rise at the end of Redder's reign that we've taken on fans who believe that is the new minimum. If they fade off to supporting another team by September then I'm fine with that.

I'm a supporter and will always look for the positives, despite that earning me some negative ratings.

Exactly mate, I grew up in the mid to late nineties when we were absolute toilet, so I can see the progress that ENIC have given us. I would happily take another few years of being nearly men if it meant that by the time my kids are around we are a consistently successful team. All these plastic fans that have joined the Bale, AVB, US bandwagon will soon slope off and we will be back to having fans that understand how not only the game but the sport works.

In the last 5 seasons we've spent something like £310,900,000 on transfers. That's the 3rd highest in the league, £80m more than Utd and £80m less than Chelsea.
This isn't something to be proud of, considering that unlike United and Chelsea we've won zilch during that time.
Where we come into our own is income from transfers - £306,800,000. That's where Levy comes into his own for getting the most from players that want to leave - and bear in mind that on the whole, all the players that we've sold for big bucks have wanted to leave.
It's time he learned how to keep those players though. Because without them, we'll never make the next step.

This isn't something to be proud of, considering that unlike United and Chelsea we've won zilch during that time.

I wasn't suggesting that it was the case; more so that we cannot continue to blame our chairman or benefactors for failing to support our managers in the transfer market when it's clearly not the case. It's bad luck with some of the players we buy.

It's time he learned how to keep those players though. Because without them, we'll never make the next step.

To an extent, I'm not so sure that's the case. Disharmony and egotism will destroy a team regardless of the individuals within that team. Equally, good team cohesion and understanding is what title-challenging teams are made of; this season we are missing that 'gel', with only a few of our first team players being at the club long term.

I like Gareth Bale and I still look out for him playing for Real, I'd sign him again in a heartbeat and I wish him all the luck in the world; I don't regret him leaving as he's potentially financed a great future for us.

We're also around the same place (if not statistically better) than we were in previous season with Bale, Modric, Berba, Carrick or anyone else you might want to thrown in there. This keeps us proving we can manage without those players.

Yes, there's a chance that GB or Luka would make us better now (not definitely, but possibly), but I look at our team over the years and I think we're making that next step - we just haven't had the luck from our players that has enabled us to take that step.

I do think though that maybe TS will find and grow some future Spurs PL winners from the youngsters, rather than having to pay £m's to buy players who don't play for the shirt

14th
9th
5th
5th
11th
8th
4th
5th
4th
5th with a record of 72 points

These are our league positions since ENIC took Spurs into private ownership in 2003. ENIC and Daniel Levy has taken us from mid table nobodies to a top club. We have broken into the top4 that people assumed was impossible. On the journey, there's been some bad luck as well. Lasagnegate, Chelsea winning the CL, 72 points not being enough for the first time in ages etc. Not to mention that Chelsea and Man City all of a sudden had billions of money to spend while Levy had to run a business properly.

We've also got the best training facilities in England, and although it's taking much longer than planned we're likely to get a brand new stadium as well. We would have all wanted to see the stadium ready next season, but Levy is careful not to put us in a situation we cannot handle financially.

Considering how far we've come since the Sugar years, I find it amazing that he gets 10 times more criticism than praise. Levy has made plenty of mistakes, but he seems to have learnt from them. I would have confronted him with anger if I saw him on the streets during the Stratford saga and probably last January as well, but looking at the bigger picture I certainly wouldn't have swapped him for any other chairman.

Let me give you some other facts.

1) Gave himself a £600k rise last year despite the club losing money
2) Since his arrival we have won only one trophy
3) He attempted to move us to Stratford at an enormous cost. For those naïve people, no it wasn't a ploy to get his own way over the NPD.
4) We are no nearer building a new stadium than we were 3 years ago. He put all his eggs in one basket and relied on England getting the World cup.
5) If he had of bought a striker last January we would almost certainly of got champions league. How many millions did that cost the club ?
6) He employed Santini, Ramos and worse of all AVB, just after Chelsea sacked him for his incompetence.
7) His net spend on players over three years has been zero, so what ambition does this show.
8) My season ticket price has doubled since the arrival of Levy
9) He sacked Arry because he wouldn't lick his arse, and had far higher ambitions than himself. For those of you that actually believe the England job or only finishing 4th had anything to do with it, think again !!
10) He sold Berba, Modric and Bale. The man just can't refuse a few quid. Yes we spent the Bale money, but spent it badly. Perhaps if he had added another £50m we could have bought quality.

Some people think that because we haven't ended up like Leeds or Pompey, that makes him a good chairman, personally I think my dog would have done a better job. I think that anyone that believes he has done a good job, just doesn't have ambition.

Last edited:

I think if you compare the League Cup winning team/squad of 2008 with today's squad, even the most skew-eyed hark-back-to-the-past Spurs fan would say we've improved...

The fact we had the likes of Jenas, Hutton, Zokora & 'The Boy Shimbonda' tells you everything!

Mind you, I'd still give my left and right nut for a Berbatov - 2008 Model!!

I do wonder if the harry redknapp minions realise he was trying to tap up jan vertonghen to manchester city a week ago?. But hey its drunk uncle Arry. Times were brilliant under him, had nothing to do with having one of the best central creative midfielder in europe,Bale, VDV..ect

5) If he had of bought a striker last January we would almost certainly of got champions league. How many millions did that cost the club ?
Maybe we should have bought Soldado back then... oh, wait - what does certainly mean again?

7) His net spend on players over three years has been zero, so what ambition does this show.
The ambition to have a secure financial future and meet FFP, whilst providing funds for development and a future stadium?

So have fuel prices #levyout :levyeyes:

9) He sacked Arry because he wouldn't lick his arse, and had far higher ambitions than himself. For those of you that actually believe the England job or only finishing 4th had anything to do with it, think again !!

I think it was more to do with having one of our most talented squads in recent years and going from title challenging to 4th after one win in 9. That could have been the opportunity for a big jump and also finishing above Woolwich. Add to that the support he received from the board during his tax evasion trial, and the inability to keep his jowls from flapping:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18381355

He was a great manager for us, but was prepared to stab us in the back after the support he received. His flirting with the media would often undermine a lot of people within the club and he pretty much though of spurs as a "backup job". It's not about licking arse, it was his disrepect towards the club and I think the fact that he didn't seem to care about the slump we went through as he was planning on jumping ship.

10) He sold Berba, Modric and Bale. The man just can't refuse a few quid. Yes we spent the Bale money, but spent it badly. Perhaps if he had added another £50m we could have bought quality.

He sold those three for about £150m - they all wanted to leave and were all but ready to sit out games.
It's not his fault that you think that the money was spent badly, but even more comically you seem to think that spending £50m more would have solved the problem....
:paulinhofacepalm::sandro:

I sometimes wonder if some remember where we were only a couple of seasons prior to Enic/Levy? Mid-table consistently whilst over spending....

Opinions, not facts.
I am pretty sure that he doesn't just pick his own salary. There must be more people involved in the costing out of the business structure and salaries. And so what if he did? We have players earning far more than that, contributing far less than Levy.
Fair point. Maybe we could, and should, have won more - but we are now consistent competitors for European places and have shown we can compete in both the EL and CL - in fact anything short of reaching the EL final this season would be disappointing, which shows how far we've come.
Also - Levy isn't the manager, or a player. Maybe attribute the blame to them more than the chairman?
3) He attempted to move us to Stratford at an enormous cost. For those naïve people, no it wasn't a ploy to get his own way over the NPD.
I don't quite know how you can be so sure. The bloke clearly has an amazing business mind, I don't think he goes into anything without serious thought and a backup plan.
4) We are no nearer building a new stadium than we were 3 years ago. He put all his eggs in one basket and relied on England getting the World cup.
There will be a reason. He doesn't need to keep you informed of all club decisions on a business level. I'm sure he has it in the forefront of his mind and is working hard to get things moving.
Ha! Maybe if Adebayor wasn't playing like my Nan, we wouldn't have needed one...
6) He employed Santini, Ramos and worse of all AVB, just after Chelsea sacked him for his incompetence.
This sums up your lack of ability to look at things constructively - AVB was clearly the best appointment of all 3, yet you insist on suggesting otherwise. You hate him, and that is fine, you can hate who you want, but when looking at "facts", you need to remove personal opinions.
So are you saying we haven't bought enough players, or you would like him to exceed the money earned in sales just to make it look like we're ambitious? If we sell £100m, spend £150m, regardless of who we buy and why. You are definitely not a business owner!!
Something I agree shouldn't have happened, but all owners are guilty of this. You think Alan Sugar would have held them to keep your wallet full? You think an Arab would come in, spend £300m and drop your season ticket price because he can? No.
That had everything to do with it. His desire for another job directly affected our results and quite possibly cost us Champions League football. It amazes me that you can defend him in that scenario, yet had AVB done that, you'd go mental!!
Can't refuse a few quid? Like when Real Madrid courted Modric the season before and he refused to sell, even though Modric publicly stated he wanted to go? And £86m, the biggest transfer in history, is more than "a few quid".
Some people think that because we haven't ended up like Leeds or Pompey, that makes him a good chairman, personally I think my dog would have done a better job. I think that anyone that believes he has done a good job, just doesn't have ambition.
When you say things like that, it just makes your entire post null and void.
Are you saying that the only way to separate a good chairman from a bad one is by their trophy haul? Therefore, 95% of chairman in England are worse than your dog.
We have ambition, we now expect top 4 every year, and to compete in whichever European competition we end up in - Europa is something we expect to reach the latter stages of, if not win, and CL, make it out the group stage I suppose?
That's a long way from where we were when ENIC took over. If that isn't ambitious enough, then go be a glory supporter if trophies is all that matters.

We all want Tottenham to be the best team in the world, but it isn't gonna happen!! We are progressing, it takes time. There are very few world class teams now that haven't been excellent for decades. City, PSG, Chelsea, and we know how they managed it. FFP is meant to put a stop to that, so the only way is to progress as we are and grow steadily.

I have ambition, you have unrealistic expectations. For me, Tottenham will always be enough, no matter what league we're in and where we finish. At the moment we have it great, one of the best clubs in the country and fighting for European honours. What's to say in 20 years we won't be in the Conference? I suspect at that point, you will either regret moaning all the time about the present situation, or you'll be wearing the shirt of a more successful team, because Spurs clearly aren't enough for you at the moment, and this is possibly the best it's ever going to be for us.

#realityhurts

I too am not sure about Levy. With regards to our players and Harry I agree, we should have done more to keep them, most non-Spurs fan think we where fucking crazy to get rid of Harry despite his flaws and just as crazy hiring AVB after the Chelsea failure. If TS does well I hope we stick him and keep our best players from now on but I am not optimistic. Levy is obviously a clever businessman but I wonder if his personality is suited to the role. I suppose we can only wait and see, he had better get the stadium sorted or we will never catch up with Woolwich.

I too am not sure about Levy. With regards to our players and Harry I agree, we should have done more to keep them, most non-Spurs fan think we where fucking crazy to get rid of Harry despite his flaws and just as crazy hiring AVB after the Chelsea failure. If TS does well I hope we stick him and keep our best players from now on but I am not optimistic. Levy is obviously a clever businessman but I wonder if his personality is suited to the role. I suppose we can only wait and see, he had better get the stadium sorted or we will never catch up with Woolwich.
We didn't get rid of Harry - Harry got rid of himself. Do you honestly not feel aggrieved that he (openly admitted in his book) to taking his eye off the ball due to England calling. HE WAS EVEN TAPPING UP OTHER MANAGERS TO BE HIS ASSISTANT FOR FUCK SAKE!! We deserve better, regardless of the football he brought with him. No one is bigger than the club.
And I love how AVB is always remember for his Chelsea days, not Porto. Chelsea sacked Mourinho as well (or made his position publicly untenable) - I guess he's shit too!

I don't understand how Harry is remembered in such a good light. He has ruined a couple clubs financially, but is a hero in the media's eyes.

Most non-Spurs fans. Like the Woolwich fans that were calling for Wenger's head after the Villa game this season, and are now lauding him as their saviour once again? Or the Liverpool fans that thought Rodgers was too young and inexperienced for their 'mighty club'?

Everyone knows it all - after the event! - "I told you we'd lose that game. I said he was shit. I knew he'd get sacked". Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

I was quite happy with levy tbh until stratford & the nelsen saha window!.. really showed his lack of foresight & ambition then by not cementing what could have been much more than 4th place with a major signing

we had the chance to really push our boundaries & state ourselves as real contenders .. with minimal risk imho financially,... he shot himself & enic in the foot
since then he's shown me shit that he's going to give us a reasonable chance of ever becoming a major force again.
I do understand that we'll never compete with the arabs or Russians dosh wise but hia lack of endeavour to even take a calculated risk has done me.
under levy we are never going to do a leeds but on the other hand the chance of even having a go at the big boys fades with every year he remains now.
levy out

It's difficult to see Levy as what he really is because he doesn't actually make himself all that visible. He doesn't give interviews, his opinions are largely private and even opinions of those around him are relatively difficult to find.

There's a real tendency amongst his apologists to say that he's well-prepared and has contingency plans for every eventuality. Equally, there's a slant towards him being a fucking idiot who is out to bilk the club and the supporters from those who don't like him. I suspect that the truth is closer to his being a tough businessman who specialises in the sharp end of negotiations, ie, extracting cash for assets from buyers while also putting pressure on those who're selling to him. Bale out for £86 million and van der Vaart in for £8 million being prime examples of each of these.

Both of the viewpoints I mention above also overlook the human side of Levy. Maybe he made bad decisions at times because of personal factors. He almost certainly thinks about Spurs differently to how we as fans think about Spurs. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that he is probably the most divisive figure in recent Spurs folklore and there seem to be a fair few to choose from. But he's different from managers, players, coaching staff etc in that we don't see much of him in the media and therefore have to draw our own conclusions from much less material. That, to me, means that everyone (myself included) is probably wrong about what makes Levy tick and what his plans for the club are.

we had the chance to really push our boundaries & state ourselves as real contenders .. with minimal risk imho financially,... he shot himself & enic in the foot
since then he's shown me shit that he's going to give us a reasonable chance of ever becoming a major force again.

We just broke our transfer record 3 times in a row and bought
a) A brazilian 'wonderkid' (Paulinho)
b) La Liga's 3rd highest scorer last season
c) An argentinian 'wonderkid' for £30m!
d) A player who most of the top teams wanted (Capoue)

Do I need to continue?

Anyone want to blame their breakfast this morning on Levy too? It's shameful - he's not perfect but some of the reasons for this "levyout" shite are a joke.

I notice that no one is saying 'Baldini out' considering that's the guy who was given roughly £110m to spent

We just broke our transfer record 3 times in a row and bought
a) A brazilian 'wonderkid' (Paulinho)
b) La Liga's 3rd highest scorer last season
c) An argentinian 'wonderkid' for £30m!
d) A player who most of the top teams wanted (Capoue)

Do I need to continue?

Anyone want to blame their breakfast this morning on Levy too? It's shameful - he's not perfect but some of the reasons for this "levyout" shite are a joke.

I notice that no one is saying 'Baldini out' considering that's the guy who was given roughly £110m to spent
& you know full well that wernt going to happen without bales sheckles coming in!.. & we still ended the window
taking in more than we spent. capoue wanted by top teams.. he nearly went to Cardiff!! & paulinho's 24.. bit old for a wonderkid!. need I continue ffs.

Back
Top Bottom