DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Naughton's poor performances most usually come at left back. He's not a left back. He's a right back. He usually is at least competent when he plays right back. Like on Saturday just gone.

Same goes for Fryers - he's a competent left back, no good at centre back. Don't judge the guy on how good he is in his position by how he copes out of position.

Naughton's poor performances most usually come at left back. He's not a left back. He's a right back. He usually is at least competent when he plays right back. Like on Saturday just gone.

Same goes for Fryers - he's a competent left back, no good at centre back. Don't judge the guy on how good he is in his position by how he copes out of position.
Watch the first half of Southampton at home last season, the problem with Naughton is that he always has a huge error in him. If we're lucky it won't cost us a goal, but we watch games knowing a brainfart will come.

That said, we are where we are and let's hope he can keep his shit together while Walker is out.

Watch the first half of Southampton at home last season, the problem with Naughton is that he always has a huge error in him. If we're lucky it won't cost us a goal, but we watch games knowing a brainfart will come.

That said, we are where we are and let's hope he can keep his shit together while Walker is out.

Fair comment, and I've hardly been a Naughton fan over the years (I've been quite harsh on him), but I can't help but feel consistently being played out of position has killed his confidence. Mistakes like that come when you're terrified of making mistakes like that.

If we only ever played him RB, especially say the first 5 or 6 games of this season, he'd be just fine considering he's only there as second choice.

Fair comment, and I've hardly been a Naughton fan over the years (I've been quite harsh on him), but I can't help but feel consistently being played out of position has killed his confidence. Mistakes like that come when you're terrified of making mistakes like that.

If we only ever played him RB, especially say the first 5 or 6 games of this season, he'd be just fine considering he's only there as second choice.
I hope you're right, doesn't seem like Walker will be back before the international break so the RB spot is his.

Glen Johnson is shit too (lesser of course). And let's not imply Naughton had any biz being near Brazil or there were a few quality players preventing him from being on the national team.

Glenn Johnson is not shit....its all very well judging U.S players who have played in Europe, but when you have just conceded that the MLS is weaker than the Championship, you dont really have much grounds to start claiming that Yedlin is better than Naughton or Johnson.

One world cup doesnt make a player.

I guess we all will just have to wait and see what he can bring. It's pointless slating him now when probably 90% of us have only really seen him in the World Cup...

Another weakness of his is his inability to be able to beat his man on the outside..
Now if only we could have walkers pace with naughtons deliveries...

Thought Naughton has been pretty impressive during pre season, showed some genuine moments if quality and if he were a new player we'd have at least four gifs of some of his 'skills' during preseason. Thought the longer he was in our starting 11 last year the more reliable he became. Yes he made individual errors but so did every other one of our defence, he definitely wasn't alone in that aspect. Also happy with the Yedlin signing, seems like a bit of a steal.

I get the point of yoir post and I agree with it. My problem is that wasnt Fryers playrd as a LB in u21s, but was seen as a CB? I think he prefers CB.

Glenn Johnson is not shit....its all very well judging U.S players who have played in Europe, but when you have just conceded that the MLS is weaker than the Championship, you dont really have much grounds to start claiming that Yedlin is better than Naughton or Johnson.

One world cup doesnt make a player.
Yes, but that World Cup proved to a point that Yedlin can hang with the big boys. While Naughton is still shit and due for that defensive calamity every other game. Plus not very good with the ball at his feet.

Last edited:
Yes, but that World Cup proved to a point that Yedlin can hang with the big boys. While Naughton is still shit and due for that defensive calamity every other game. Plus not very good with the ball at his feet.

Nuaghton has been hanging with big boys in the PL though for a few years now.

Thats at least a couple of leagues above the MLS. He's also been played out of position and has become a scapegoat on the back of having two shit managers in charge. I dont think he was any worse than Vertonghen last season, but as with Rose, certain players get slated, while others get a free pass to fall over and gift goals whenever they want.

Im not interested in playing the "support one player and hate another game".

I dont know anything about Yedlin, but he is a welcome signing.

But anyone who knows this game is aware that 6 good games in a world cup ultimately means fuck all.

And when he comes here, it will be the people expecting too much from him too soon that will turn on him the fastest.

Nuaghton has been hanging with big boys in the PL though for a few years now.

Thats at least a couple of leagues above the MLS. He's also been played out of position and has become a scapegoat on the back of having two shit managers in charge. I dont think he was any worse than Vertonghen last season, but as with Rose, certain players get slated, while others get a free pass to fall over and gift goals whenever they want.

Im not interested in playing the "support one player and hate another game".

I dont know anything about Yedlin, but he is a welcome signing.

But anyone who knows this game is aware that 6 good games in a world cup ultimately means fuck all.

And when he comes here, it will be the people expecting too much from him too soon that will turn on him the fastest.
That's my actual point. Naughton hasn't been hanging with the big boys since he has been so poor with his opportunities in the prem. Either way , we disagree on the matter. All good brotha

People having an issue with Naughton is such lazy scapegoating, from narrow minded fans. Obviously he isn't the best RB, but he is basically a more than adequate second choice RB that has some level of versatility. Not many teams in the PL have a second choice RB better than him, Chelsea/City/Utd off of the top of my head.

Now onto Yedlin, I haven't seen much of him yet what I have seen he seems pretty competent going forwards with a good final delivery. Defensively he may not be good enough, but time will tell and it isn't that expensive a risk.

People having an issue with Naughton is such lazy scapegoating, from narrow minded fans. Obviously he isn't the best RB, but he is basically a more than adequate second choice RB that has some level of versatility. Not many teams in the PL have a second choice RB better than him, Chelsea/City/Utd off of the top of my head.

Now onto Yedlin, I haven't seen much of him yet what I have seen he seems pretty competent going forwards with a good final delivery. Defensively he may not be good enough, but time will tell and it isn't that expensive a risk.
Lazy Scapegoating ? We've watched him now for a few years at the Lane and a majority of his play has been sub par. Give me one or two strengths he has from a skillset perspective ? I don't see any. And that "versatility" attribute is a big time stretch. The only reason he played LB was bc there wasn't a proper back up and he was much worse on the left side anyways.

Back
Top Bottom