Dejan Kulusevski

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the more i see it the more i can see him being a great number 10 for us not overly quick

but very tricky and has a wand of a left foot

not going to imply he would be anything like kdb but maybe similar to eriksen

Despite everything we've heard from Juve fans, despite the fact he's not done well at Juve the past 2 seasons...let's give the lad a bloody chance!

He's clearly got pedigree and there's definitely reasons to be optimistic when one looks at his profile and what he's already achieved in his young career.

Welcome to Spurs, mate. Looking forward to seeing you put the white shirt on. Give it your all and we'll always have your back.

COYS

Despite everything we've heard from Juve fans, despite the fact he's not done well at Juve the past 2 seasons...let's give the lad a bloody chance!

He's clearly got pedigree and there's definitely reasons to be optimistic when one looks at his profile and what he's already achieved in his young career.

Welcome to Spurs, mate. Looking forward to seeing you put the white shirt on. Give it your all and we'll always have your back.

COYS
do you think like me that 10 is the go to position for him long term

has all the attributes to play there

Ill ask again as ive never seen this fella play, can he take a free kick?

It might be tough to answer because both Juve and Sweden have such good free kick takers already that would be ahead of him he might not get many chances.

I don't think it is something that he has been asked to do a lot in his career.

Ill ask again as ive never seen this fella play, can he take a free kick?
Yes, he sure can hit the ball. Lovely left foot, scored a few crackers for Juve coming inside from the right and sending a curler into the opposite corner.

Didn't get to take that many FKs but it's not surprising considering they had Ronnie, Dybala and even Bonucci. I hope he's involved in set pieces at Spurs cause he's defo got the left peg to do some damage.

Im sure i saw a quote on here from the man himself that he sees himself as a trequartista / number 10 sort of player - whether Conte agrees is another thing as pointed out by someone else on here

If he does end up there being left footed does give a certain little bit of x-factor to that position, like Dembele did in the middle of the park, it wrong foots defenders a lot

It's a very interesting one with him, as I think he's one of those players that can play so many positions...which is probably the main reason Conte was so keen on him at Inter and now at Spurs.

My guess is he'll play mostly on the right wing, coming in on his left foot. But I wouldn't be surprised if Antonio played Sonny & Kane as a two upfront and Dej as a 10. Or even keep Sonny, Kane & Lucas as the front 3, and have Dej as a hybrid 8/10 alongside either Bent, Hoj, Skippy or Winksy who'll cover the 6.

I think we'll see him alternate from one game to the other, depending on who we're facing. But he might even play different roles throughout one same game, depending on the score.

Im sure i saw a quote on here from the man himself that he sees himself as a trequartista / number 10 sort of player - whether Conte agrees is another thing as pointed out by someone else on here

If he does end up there being left footed does give a certain little bit of x-factor to that position, like Dembele did in the middle of the park, it wrong foots defenders a lot

The Athletic article quotes Dejan as saying that he admires the play of DeBruyne and wants to become like him as a player. Seems like he sees himself in the attacking midfield area.

Its easy, original Batman tune.

Kulu, Kulu, Kulu, Kulu
Kulu, Kulu, Kulu, Kulu
SEV-SKI!
Kulu, Kulu, Kulu, Kulu
Kulu, Kulu, Kulu, Kulu
SEV-SKI!
SEV-SKI!
Kulu, Kulu, Kulu, Kulu
Kulu, Kulu, Kulu, Kulu
SEV-SKI!
SEV-SKI!
SEV-SKI!

Rinse and repeat until everyone is dizzy.

In Dejan Kulusevski, Antonio Conte might just have met his match.

Tottenham head coach Conte is famed for his meticulous attention to detail and the way he prepares his players for matches with the use of video analysis. He even subjected the squad to a 75-minute session during his first week in charge back in November.

Kulusevski has a similar approach and likes to educate himself by watching footage of players, such as Eden Hazard, whom he thinks he can take lessons from. Before moving to Juventus two years ago this month, he sat through all of their then-manager Maurizio Sarri’s matches in charge of Chelsea. After he made his debut for Sweden Under-21s in a March 2019 defeat to their Russian counterparts, Kulusevski asked for the video of the match and, after watching it, came back the following morning and said, “I understand now.” He didn’t make the same mistakes again.

“One of my habits is to watch many games because I learn a lot from my colleagues,” Kulusevski explained in 2020.

Kulusevski has other traits that will leave the demanding Conte purring with excitement.

One is how exceptionally hard-running he is, regularly topping the distance covered stats in Serie A matches and even being top of the class in that metric while at Gian Piero Gasperini’s notoriously fit Atalanta.

Kulusevski also loves to take on defenders, trying to work the angles to get shots away with his left foot. “The clearest thing is that he was a very strong dribbler,” is the verdict of Bartosz Grzelak, one of his coaches at Sweden Under-21 level. “He was dribbling all the time.”

It’s no surprise, then, that Conte tried to sign Kulusevski while Inter Milan manager two years ago. In the end, the teenaged Kulusevski opted against it, fearing there would be no place for him in Conte’s 3-5-2 system. Instead, Kulusevski, who sees himself primarily as a No 10 who can also operate on the flanks, decided to leave Atalanta for Juventus — a move led by Fabio Paratici, now Tottenham managing director of football. It hopefully bodes well for Spurs that Conte and Paratici are long-time admirers of their new signing.

“Kulu” has also attracted interest from Manchester City, and as for how quickly he can adapt to the Premier League, those who have followed his career say he has a knack for quickly raising his level and recalibrating whenever faced with a new challenge.

That looked like being the case at Juventus as well, but in the end, things didn’t work out in Turin.

In many ways, Kulusevski was the victim of a couple of years of huge churn. Sarri, the manager who signed him, was sacked before he had even played for the club and his replacement, Andrea Pirlo, also lasted only one season. Pirlo’s successor Massimiliano Allegri hasn’t warmed to the 21-year-old Swede and Kulusevski has started only five of Juventus’s 23 Serie A matches this campaign.

Last season, there were suspicions around the club that Kulusevski did not enjoy, and was even a touch overawed by, playing with Cristiano Ronaldo.

But Spurs feel they have made an important and fairly low-risk signing. Kulusevski has joined on an 18-month loan, which will automatically be made into a permanent deal worth around €40 million (£33.2 million), including a loan fee, plus add-ons if objectives such as qualifying for the Champions League are met.

This is what Tottenham are getting and how an exciting attacking talent who looks up to compatriot Zlatan Ibrahimovic, fellow redhead Kevin De Bruyne and, er, Adnan Januzaj, made it to this point…

Like Ibrahimovic, Kulusevski comes from an immigrant background.

The son of a Macedonian mother, he came through the ranks at Brommapojkarna, a Stockholm club with a rich history of producing talented players. “Zlatan has created opportunities for us Swedish players, also for people like me — I’m half Macedonian — who come from other cultures,” Kulusevski said a couple of years ago.

Ibrahimovic is likewise a big fan of Kulusevski. When the latter was named only on the bench for a Nations League match against France in September 2020, Ibrahimovic tweeted: “What a fucking joke”. Kulusevski incidentally said he was “shocked” at being left out but “respected” the decision.

Personality-wise though, Kulusevski bears little resemblance to his controversial compatriot. He is naturally a shy person and one who is viewed back home as having a great attitude.

“He’s very good to talk to,” says Swedish journalist Frida Fagerlund, who writes predominantly for one of the country’s main newspapers Aftonbladet. “He’s very honest and open, and seems to be a guy who wants to work very hard to achieve his goals. He speaks decent English as well, so that will help.”

GettyImages-1318913041-scaled.jpg

Kulusevski celebrates scoring in last year’s Coppa Italia final win over former club Atalanta (Photo: Getty)
Kulusevski left Sweden to join Atalanta for around €200,000 (£166,000) when aged 16, and quickly excelled at under-17 and then under-19 level. He played a key role in Atalanta, famed for their youth development programme, winning the 2018-19 Campionato Nazionale Primavera competition for Serie A clubs’ under-19 sides. Kulusevski contributed 1.28 goals or assists every 90 minutes that season.

His pathway to the first team, who had just qualified for the Champions League, was blocked however by Josip Ilicic and captain Papu Gomez, and so it was decided a loan move was the way forward. Kulusevski has always had an exceptionally clear idea of his career path, and he knew what he needed was regular game time in Serie A.

It was around this time that Sweden Under-21 assistant Grzelak was tasked with going to Bergamo, Atalanta’s hometown, to meet Kulusevski ahead of the youngster being called up for friendlies against Russia and Scotland in March 2019. He was left in no doubt about Kulusevski’s determination and clarity of vision.

“He was very clear about how he saw his career panning out,” Grzelak told The Athletic in 2020. “He said, ‘My plan is first to make my Serie A debut with Atalanta. Then I’ll probably go out on loan to one of the clubs where I have more chance to play and from there I’m aiming for the top clubs in Europe.’

“I’ve sat down with some young players over my coaching career and you always hear those stories — ‘I want to go to Barcelona or (Manchester) United or Juventus.’ You’re like, ‘OK, son, it’s good to have high goals.’ In this case, you then look back at what happened: Dejan made his Serie A debut, he went to Parma, a team where he could have playing time, and then he went to Juventus.”

All in less than a year. “That’s amazing,” Grzelak added.

In that summer of 2019, there was plenty of interest in Kulusevski. Juventus, RB Leipzig and Manchester City, who would have loaned him straight out, all made enquiries. In the end, Kulusevski instead made a smart, “stepping-stone” loan move to Parma, who had finished three points clear of Serie A’s relegation places the previous season.

Kulusevski was a revelation, claiming 10 goals and assists en route to being named the Italian top flight’s young player of the year, almost single-handedly keeping Parma up. He played as a winger, a No 10 and a false nine, and the way he consistently influenced games drew comparisons with the legendary Pavel Nedved from Parma manager Roberto D’Aversa.

Grzelak sees shades of another elite goalscoring midfielder in fellow Swede and Woolwich favourite Freddie Ljungberg.

Kulusevski was generating a lot of excitement, and after an outstanding performance in a 2-1 away win over Napoli in December 2019 (see below), in which he scored, assisted the winner, and covered more than 14km, the most anyone had recorded in a single game up to that point in the season, Juventus pounced. With the January transfer window in only its second day a few weeks later, they signed Kulusevski from Atalanta for €35 million (£29.1 million) plus €9 million (£7.5 million) in add-ons, with an agreement to loan him back to Parma for the remainder of the season.

export-2022-01-30T184513.025.png

In the third minute against Napoli, Kulusevski pressures Kalidou Koulibaly into a mistake…

export-2022-01-30T184605.684.png

…then nips in front and sprints towards goal…

export-2022-01-30T184652.672.png

…before finishing coolly to give Parma the lead.

export-2022-01-30T184130.124.png

In stoppage time, Kulusevski heads clear and follows the ball to join a counter.

export-2022-01-30T184252.668.png

Despite his 14km shift, he keeps running as Gervinho breaks towards the Napoli box…

export-2022-01-30T184408.201.png

…and has the presence of mind to wait for Gervinho and play a perfect assist for Parma’s winner

Conte’s Inter also wanted Kulusevski at this point but he couldn’t see an obvious role for himself in a 3-5-2, whereas the spot behind the strikers in Sarri’s 4-3-1-2 was, he said, his “perfect role” and precisely where he saw himself ultimately excelling — as did Juventus.

It will be interesting to see whether Conte persists with a 3-4-3 — if he does then Kulusevski, who likes to cut in onto his left foot, looks well placed to target Lucas Moura’s position on the right. Playing him there, with a left-footer in their attack, should give Spurs a better balance. At Parma, Kulusevski was very effective playing off the right in a team who liked to hit opponents on the counter. For Sweden, he tends to play as a striker in a front two.

At Juventus, however, Kulusevski never really nailed down one position.

Having been slated to play as a No 10 for Sarri, by the time he made his debut for the club at the start of the pandemic-delayed 2020-21 season, Sarri was gone and Pirlo was in charge. Kulusevski began as a second striker playing off Ronaldo but they didn’t click and there was the sense the Swede felt inhibited by his superstar strike partner. He wasn’t the only one at Juventus who felt this way.

Kulusevski wound up starting half (19) of Juve’s Serie A matches last season and generally found himself behind Paulo Dybala, Juan Cuadrado and Federico Chiesa in the pecking order.

It’s been a similar story this season, with those five starts among 20 league appearances so far under Allegri. It has been suggested that the coach had doubts about Kulusevski’s footballing intelligence.

“Someone told me yesterday that Allegri thinks Kulusevski can’t read the game well enough,” the Swedish former England, Lazio and Sampdoria manager Sven-Goran Eriksson said in September. “I don’t know what that means but, obviously, the coach sees something that makes him not trust him 100 per cent.”

“But with the talent Kulusevski has, he can do things on his own. So, it is very strange that he doesn’t start every game.”

Generally, there is some sympathy for things not working out for Kulusevski in Turin. Juventus have been a club in transition over the last couple of years, going through three managers in that time, and not really committing to the plan to build the team around youngsters such as Kulusevski.

And with money needed to fund this week’s €75 million (£62.5 million) signing of Dusan Vlahovic, Kulusevski made sense as someone to move on.

So, after a few months that have muddied the waters when it comes to the debates around Kulusevski’s best position and his true level, it’s worth taking a step back to try to answer those two questions.

Reflecting on his best position as he left Parma for Juventus at the end of his loan spell, Kulusevski told Sky Sports Italia: “It depends on the team, on the game. For how we play in Parma, the coach has found the perfect position for me — as a winger. When I was in the Primavera of Atalanta, on the other hand, I played more in the centre because the action had to start from behind.

“My perfect role? Behind the strikers. When I play, I don’t think about goals or assists. With the ball, I think always attacking, to the fact that the defenders have to know who they are dealing with. Having said that, I need to improve in shooting more often and also in scoring more.”

As for comparable players, Manchester City and Belgium midfielder De Bruyne is someone Kulusevski looks up to. “I study him a lot because he is a phenomenal player and because I want to become like him,” he has said.

But it’s actually another Belgian, Januzaj, who was one of Kulusevski’s first idols. Seeing the then-teenager play for Manchester United in a friendly in Sweden wearing the No 44 shirt is why Kulusevski wore the same number for Parma and Juventus.

Kulusevski was taken with Januzaj’s fearlessness, and tries to play the game in the same sort of way.

To get more of a sense of how Kulusevski operates and how good he is, we can consult the data from smarterscout, which rates an individual out of 99 in specific metrics relative to other players at their position.

Owing to his limited number of league minutes this season (772) — especially in a single position — it makes more sense to look at his profile from 2020-21.

Juventus largely played a 4-4-2 last season with Kulusevski on the right, but also played 3-4-3 on occasion, where he played as a wide forward (as stated above, this is where we’re most likely to see him for Spurs), but you can see from his position map that he is versatile enough to play wide or more centrally, and even at wing-back on occasion (which contributes to the right midfield 40 per cent figure below).

positions_dejan_kulusevski_2020-21.png

As for his effectiveness, his pizza-chart profile from last season shows how much of a runner he is with the ball (carry and dribble volume rating: 98 out of 99). He is direct and skilful in his play and it’s interesting to see how well he looks after possession considering that style (ball retention ability: 83 out of 99).

pizza_dejan_kulusevski_RM_2020-21.png

This goal Kulusevski scored against Verona early in that 2020-21 season is a good example of his threat when running at defences.

export-2022-01-30T190316.110.png

He picks the ball up in the inside-right channel…

export-2022-01-30T190401.228.png

….and stands up the defender before twisting and turning to work the yard for a shot.

export-2022-01-30T190439.838.png

His finish, in his favoured shooting position on the right-hand side of the box, is clinical into the far corner

The data and the above example tie in with the view of his former coaches.

“He’s constantly moving,” Grzelak said in 2020. “And he’s available for his team-mates. That’s why you see him involved in so many situations in the final third. He’s extremely strong. When it comes to covering ground with the ball, he’s fast. He doesn’t appear that fast, but he’s fast with the ball and he can definitely handle body contact. He can handle tackles and in his decision-making he seems to find the right solution very often.

“When you look at his goals and assists, it’s clear he knows when it’s time to shoot or pass to someone else in a better position. His understanding of the play is brilliant in that aspect.”

His assist for Gervinho against Napoli detailed earlier in this piece is a good example of that, but Kulusevski is also one to chip in with goals himself. He has good anticipation and a knack for picking up loose balls around the edge of the box. From there, his favoured finish is the left-footed curler from the inside right channel into the corner (as the below goals last season against Sampdoria, Genoa and Atalanta illustrate). He scored seven goals in total for Juventus in 2020-21.

export-2022-01-30T191104.909.png

export-2022-01-30T191157.147.png

export-2022-01-30T190029.977.png

In general, Kulusevski is very much one to run and take players on rather than thread long balls upfield (his progressive passing score is just two out of 99). He is more likely to receive the ball himself in dangerous areas and get on the end of things than be the creative passer.

The data also shows how strong his attacking output is in contributing to the team’s goalscoring opportunities (with an expected goals score from the shots he creates of 86/99). However, one note of caution here is that only 19 of his 35 league appearances were starts, so a fair proportion of his minutes were from the bench against fatigued defences, which might have helped to inflate his attacking output. The need to make something happen and encouragement to get shots off could also partly account for his very high shot volume rating of 92 out of 99. That said, Kulusevski may be used as an impact substitute in his early weeks at Tottenham, so this would be a very handy skill to have.

Those who know Kulusevski believe he and Spurs will be a good match — the self-aware, hard-working attacker with the hugely demanding head coach who requires his players to give themselves up for the greater good of the team.

“He has so much potential, he just needs to be in an environment where he can develop and make progress,” says the Swedish journalist Fagerlund. “Playing under Conte will be brilliant for him.”

Additional reporting: James Horncastle and Mark Carey

(Graphic: photos — Getty Images, design — Sam Richardson)
I hope everyone here reads that outstanding, well researched article about him. If you haven’t already, read the whole thing.

He put up some outstanding attacking numbers last year at age 20. Also surprised by that position map showing his versatility (roughly 50% mid, 50% forward).

I don’t know what was happening this year under Allegri with Juve in 5th, but he seems like the kind of player who could thrive under Conte. I’m looking forward to seeing him play, especially in a couple months as he gets acclimated and settles into a role.

Does anyone know if Dejan has a free kick in his locker? I know he didn’t take them at Juve as there were too many hot shots there. It’s an area we could do with

Really good article on him. Everything I’ve read about him mentions how hard he works and what a strong mentality he has. Think that will be crucial for playing under Conte, so love to hear that, especially since we’ve been shipping out those who are a bit less dedicated.

In Dejan Kulusevski, Antonio Conte might just have met his match.

Tottenham head coach Conte is famed for his meticulous attention to detail and the way he prepares his players for matches with the use of video analysis. He even subjected the squad to a 75-minute session during his first week in charge back in November.

Kulusevski has a similar approach and likes to educate himself by watching footage of players, such as Eden Hazard, whom he thinks he can take lessons from. Before moving to Juventus two years ago this month, he sat through all of their then-manager Maurizio Sarri’s matches in charge of Chelsea. After he made his debut for Sweden Under-21s in a March 2019 defeat to their Russian counterparts, Kulusevski asked for the video of the match and, after watching it, came back the following morning and said, “I understand now.” He didn’t make the same mistakes again.

“One of my habits is to watch many games because I learn a lot from my colleagues,” Kulusevski explained in 2020.

Kulusevski has other traits that will leave the demanding Conte purring with excitement.

One is how exceptionally hard-running he is, regularly topping the distance covered stats in Serie A matches and even being top of the class in that metric while at Gian Piero Gasperini’s notoriously fit Atalanta.

Kulusevski also loves to take on defenders, trying to work the angles to get shots away with his left foot. “The clearest thing is that he was a very strong dribbler,” is the verdict of Bartosz Grzelak, one of his coaches at Sweden Under-21 level. “He was dribbling all the time.”

It’s no surprise, then, that Conte tried to sign Kulusevski while Inter Milan manager two years ago. In the end, the teenaged Kulusevski opted against it, fearing there would be no place for him in Conte’s 3-5-2 system. Instead, Kulusevski, who sees himself primarily as a No 10 who can also operate on the flanks, decided to leave Atalanta for Juventus — a move led by Fabio Paratici, now Tottenham managing director of football. It hopefully bodes well for Spurs that Conte and Paratici are long-time admirers of their new signing.

“Kulu” has also attracted interest from Manchester City, and as for how quickly he can adapt to the Premier League, those who have followed his career say he has a knack for quickly raising his level and recalibrating whenever faced with a new challenge.

That looked like being the case at Juventus as well, but in the end, things didn’t work out in Turin.

In many ways, Kulusevski was the victim of a couple of years of huge churn. Sarri, the manager who signed him, was sacked before he had even played for the club and hisreplacement, Andrea Pirlo, also lasted only one season. Pirlo’s successor Massimiliano Allegri hasn’t warmed to the 21-year-old Swede and Kulusevski has started only five of Juventus’s 23 Serie A matches this campaign.

Last season, there were suspicions around the club that Kulusevski did not enjoy, and was even a touch overawed by, playing with Cristiano Ronaldo.

But Spurs feel they have made an important and fairly low-risk signing. Kulusevski has joined on an 18-month loan, which will automatically be made into a permanent deal worth around €40 million (£33.2 million), including a loan fee, plus add-ons if objectives such as qualifying for the Champions Leagueare met.

This is what Tottenham are getting and how an exciting attacking talent who looks up to compatriot Zlatan Ibrahimovic, fellow redhead Kevin De Bruyne and, er, Adnan Januzaj, made it to this point…

Like Ibrahimovic, Kulusevski comes from an immigrant background.

The son of a Macedonian mother, he came through the ranks at Brommapojkarna, a Stockholm club with a rich history of producing talented players. “Zlatan has created opportunities for us Swedish players, also for people like me — I’m half Macedonian — who come from other cultures,” Kulusevski said a couple of years ago.

Ibrahimovic is likewise a big fan of Kulusevski. When the latter was named only on the bench for a Nations League match against France in September 2020, Ibrahimovic tweeted: “What a fucking joke”. Kulusevski incidentally said he was “shocked” at being left out but “respected” the decision.

Personality-wise though, Kulusevski bears little resemblance to his controversial compatriot. He is naturally a shy person and one who is viewed back home as having a great attitude.

“He’s very good to talk to,” says Swedish journalist Frida Fagerlund, who writes predominantly for one of the country’s main newspapers Aftonbladet. “He’s very honest and open, and seems to be a guy who wants to work very hard to achieve his goals. He speaks decent English as well, so that will help.”

GettyImages-1318913041-scaled.jpg

Kulusevski celebrates scoring in last year’s Coppa Italia final win over former club Atalanta (Photo: Getty)
Kulusevski left Sweden to join Atalanta for around €200,000 (£166,000) when aged 16, and quickly excelled at under-17 and then under-19 level. He played a key role in Atalanta, famed for their youth development programme, winning the 2018-19 Campionato Nazionale Primavera competition for Serie A clubs’ under-19 sides. Kulusevski contributed 1.28 goals or assists every 90 minutes that season.

His pathway to the first team, who had just qualified for the Champions League, was blocked however by Josip Ilicic and captain Papu Gomez, and so it was decided a loan move was the way forward. Kulusevski has always had an exceptionally clear idea of his career path, and he knew what he needed was regular game time in Serie A.

It was around this time that Sweden Under-21 assistant Grzelak was tasked with going to Bergamo, Atalanta’s hometown, to meet Kulusevski ahead of the youngster being called up for friendlies against Russia and Scotland in March 2019. He was left in no doubt about Kulusevski’s determination and clarity of vision.

“He was very clear about how he saw his career panning out,” Grzelak told The Athletic in 2020. “He said, ‘My plan is first to make my Serie A debut with Atalanta. Then I’ll probably go out on loan to one of the clubs where I have more chance to play and from there I’m aiming for the top clubs in Europe.’

“I’ve sat down with some young players over my coaching career and you always hear those stories — ‘I want to go to Barcelona or (Manchester) United or Juventus.’ You’re like, ‘OK, son, it’s good to have high goals.’ In this case, you then look back at what happened: Dejan made his Serie A debut, he went to Parma, a team where he could have playing time, and then he went to Juventus.”

All in less than a year. “That’s amazing,” Grzelak added.

In that summer of 2019, there was plenty of interest in Kulusevski. Juventus, RB Leipzig and Manchester City, who would have loaned him straight out, all made enquiries. In the end, Kulusevski instead made a smart, “stepping-stone” loan move to Parma, who had finished three points clear of Serie A’s relegation places the previous season.

Kulusevski was a revelation, claiming 10 goals and assists en route to being named the Italian top flight’s young player of the year, almost single-handedly keeping Parma up. He played as a winger, a No 10 and a false nine, and the way he consistently influenced games drew comparisons with the legendary Pavel Nedved from Parma manager Roberto D’Aversa.

Grzelak sees shades of another elite goalscoring midfielder in fellow Swede and Woolwichfavourite Freddie Ljungberg.

Kulusevski was generating a lot of excitement, and after an outstanding performance in a 2-1 away win over Napoli in December 2019 (see below), in which he scored, assisted the winner, and covered more than 14km, the most anyone had recorded in a single game up to that point in the season, Juventus pounced. With the January transfer window in only its second day a few weeks later, they signed Kulusevski from Atalanta for €35 million (£29.1 million) plus €9 million (£7.5 million) in add-ons, with an agreement to loan him back to Parma for the remainder of the season.

export-2022-01-30T184513.025.png

In the third minute against Napoli, Kulusevski pressures Kalidou Koulibaly into a mistake…

export-2022-01-30T184605.684.png

…then nips in front and sprints towards goal…

export-2022-01-30T184652.672.png

…before finishing coolly to give Parma the lead.

export-2022-01-30T184130.124.png

In stoppage time, Kulusevski heads clear and follows the ball to join a counter.

export-2022-01-30T184252.668.png

Despite his 14km shift, he keeps running as Gervinho breaks towards the Napoli box…

export-2022-01-30T184408.201.png

…and has the presence of mind to wait for Gervinho and play a perfect assist for Parma’s winner

Conte’s Inter also wanted Kulusevski at this point but he couldn’t see an obvious role for himself in a 3-5-2, whereas the spot behind the strikers in Sarri’s 4-3-1-2 was, he said, his “perfect role” and precisely where he saw himself ultimately excelling — as did Juventus.

It will be interesting to see whether Conte persists with a 3-4-3 — if he does then Kulusevski, who likes to cut in onto his left foot, looks well placed to target Lucas Moura’s position on the right. Playing him there, with a left-footer in their attack, should give Spurs a better balance. At Parma, Kulusevski was very effective playing off the right in a team who liked to hit opponents on the counter. For Sweden, he tends to play as a striker in a front two.

At Juventus, however, Kulusevski never really nailed down one position.

Having been slated to play as a No 10 for Sarri, by the time he made his debut for the club at the start of the pandemic-delayed 2020-21 season, Sarri was gone and Pirlo was in charge. Kulusevski began as a second striker playing off Ronaldo but they didn’t click and there was the sense the Swede felt inhibited by his superstar strike partner. He wasn’t the only one at Juventus who felt this way.

Kulusevski wound up starting half (19) of Juve’s Serie A matches last season and generally found himself behind Paulo Dybala, Juan Cuadrado and Federico Chiesa in the pecking order.

It’s been a similar story this season, with those five starts among 20 league appearances so far under Allegri. It has been suggested that the coach had doubts about Kulusevski’s footballing intelligence.

“Someone told me yesterday that Allegri thinks Kulusevski can’t read the game well enough,” the Swedish former England, Lazio and Sampdoria manager Sven-Goran Eriksson said in September. “I don’t know what that means but, obviously, the coach sees something that makes him not trust him 100 per cent.”

“But with the talent Kulusevski has, he can do things on his own. So, it is very strange that he doesn’t start every game.”

Generally, there is some sympathy for things not working out for Kulusevski in Turin. Juventus have been a club in transition over the last couple of years, going through three managers in that time, and not really committing to the plan to build the team around youngsters such as Kulusevski.

And with money needed to fund this week’s €75 million (£62.5 million) signing of Dusan Vlahovic, Kulusevski made sense as someone to move on.

So, after a few months that have muddied the waters when it comes to the debates around Kulusevski’s best position and his true level, it’s worth taking a step back to try to answer those two questions.

Reflecting on his best position as he left Parma for Juventus at the end of his loan spell, Kulusevski told Sky Sports Italia: “It depends on the team, on the game. For how we play in Parma, the coach has found the perfect position for me — as a winger. When I was in the Primavera of Atalanta, on the other hand, I played more in the centre because the action had to start from behind.

“My perfect role? Behind the strikers. When I play, I don’t think about goals or assists. With the ball, I think always attacking, to the fact that the defenders have to know who they are dealing with. Having said that, I need to improve in shooting more often and also in scoring more.”

As for comparable players, Manchester City and Belgium midfielder De Bruyne is someone Kulusevski looks up to. “I study him a lot because he is a phenomenal player and because I want to become like him,” he has said.

But it’s actually another Belgian, Januzaj, who was one of Kulusevski’s first idols. Seeing the then-teenager play for Manchester United in a friendly in Sweden wearing the No 44 shirt is why Kulusevski wore the same number for Parma and Juventus.

Kulusevski was taken with Januzaj’s fearlessness, and tries to play the game in the same sort of way.

To get more of a sense of how Kulusevski operates and how good he is, we can consult the data from smarterscout, which rates an individual out of 99 in specific metrics relative to other players at their position.

Owing to his limited number of league minutes this season (772) — especially in a single position — it makes more sense to look at his profile from 2020-21.

Juventus largely played a 4-4-2 last season with Kulusevski on the right, but also played 3-4-3 on occasion, where he played as a wide forward (as stated above, this is where we’re most likely to see him for Spurs), but you can see from his position map that he is versatile enough to play wide or more centrally, and even at wing-back on occasion (which contributes to the right midfield 40 per cent figure below).

positions_dejan_kulusevski_2020-21.png

As for his effectiveness, his pizza-chart profile from last season shows how much of a runner he is with the ball (carry and dribble volume rating: 98 out of 99). He is direct and skilful in his play and it’s interesting to see how well he looks after possession considering that style (ball retention ability: 83 out of 99).

pizza_dejan_kulusevski_RM_2020-21.png

This goal Kulusevski scored against Verona early in that 2020-21 season is a good example of his threat when running at defences.

export-2022-01-30T190316.110.png

He picks the ball up in the inside-right channel…

export-2022-01-30T190401.228.png

….and stands up the defender before twisting and turning to work the yard for a shot.

export-2022-01-30T190439.838.png

His finish, in his favoured shooting position on the right-hand side of the box, is clinical into the far corner

The data and the above example tie in with the view of his former coaches.

“He’s constantly moving,” Grzelak said in 2020. “And he’s available for his team-mates. That’s why you see him involved in so many situations in the final third. He’s extremely strong. When it comes to covering ground with the ball, he’s fast. He doesn’t appear that fast, but he’s fast with the ball and he can definitely handle body contact. He can handle tackles and in his decision-making he seems to find the right solution very often.

“When you look at his goals and assists, it’s clear he knows when it’s time to shoot or pass to someone else in a better position. His understanding of the play is brilliant in that aspect.”

His assist for Gervinho against Napoli detailed earlier in this piece is a good example of that, but Kulusevski is also one to chip in with goals himself. He has good anticipation and a knack for picking up loose balls around the edge of the box. From there, his favoured finish is the left-footed curler from the inside right channel into the corner (as the below goals last season against Sampdoria, Genoa and Atalanta illustrate). He scored seven goals in total for Juventus in 2020-21.

export-2022-01-30T191104.909.png

export-2022-01-30T191157.147.png

export-2022-01-30T190029.977.png

In general, Kulusevski is very much one to run and take players on rather than thread long balls upfield (his progressive passing score is just two out of 99). He is more likely to receive the ball himself in dangerous areas and get on the end of things than be the creative passer.

The data also shows how strong his attacking output is in contributing to the team’s goalscoring opportunities (with an expected goals score from the shots he creates of 86/99). However, one note of caution here is that only 19 of his 35 league appearances were starts, so a fair proportion of his minutes were from the bench against fatigued defences, which might have helped to inflate his attacking output. The need to make something happen and encouragement to get shots off could also partly account for his very high shot volume rating of 92 out of 99. That said, Kulusevski may be used as an impact substitute in his early weeks at Tottenham, so this would be a very handy skill to have.

Those who know Kulusevski believe he and Spurs will be a good match — the self-aware, hard-working attacker with the hugely demanding head coach who requires his players to give themselves up for the greater good of the team.

“He has so much potential, he just needs to be in an environment where he can develop and make progress,” says the Swedish journalist Fagerlund. “Playing under Conte will be brilliant for him.”

He's apparently going to wear number 44, which I assumed was taken by Dane but apparently it was not.

EDIT: Club shop apparently has him listed as # 21.

Last edited:
You can stop trying now. I've cracked it, Swedish connection and all.

To the tune of Abba's I do, I do, I do, I do, I do...

Laaaa laa la la la
Laaaa laa la la la
I love you
Kulu Kulu Kulu Kulu Kulu.

He's apparently going to wear number 44, which I assumed was taken by Dane but apparently it was not.
Apparently he wears 44 because he was impressed by watching Adnan Januzaj in a friendly in Sweden, which is both the most random and concerning fact about Kulu.

I hope he does much better than his childhood idol...

Tottenham signing Dejan Kulusevski chose new shirt number because of 'idol' Adnan Januzaj​

Dejan Kulusevski has swapped Juventus for Tottenham on an 18-month loan deal and the Swedish international has an unusual reason behind his shirt number request.

Tottenham’s new signing Dejan Kulusevski will wear number 44 on his shirt – and the reason behind the choice is even more unusual than the number itself.

Kulusevski has joined Spurs from Juventus on an initial 18-month loan until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Tottenham have paid a loan fee of £8.35million (€10m) and the deal will automatically be made into a permanent one worth around £33.2m (€40m) if the 21-year-old winger hits certain performance criteria.

Kulusevski was announced on transfer deadline day alongside Juve team-mate Rodrigo Bentancur, who has signed on a permanent deal worth an initial £15.8m, with a further £5.7m due in potential add-ons.

The Swedish international has achieved a life goal of moving to the Premier League, where he will emulate one of his heroes – Adnan Januzaj.

While Kulusevski is a fan of Belgian stars Kevin De Bruyne and Eden Hazard, according to The Athletic, it is Januzaj who is the inspiration behind his No 44 shirt.

Kulusevski reportedly saw Januzaj play for Manchester United in a friendly in Sweden wearing the No 44 shirt and was so taken with his style that he took the same number when he moved to Parma and Juventus.

The report states that Kulusevski was so taken with his fearlessness that he has tried to model his game on Januzaj, who now plays for Real Sociedad.

Januzaj made 63 appearances for United between 2013 and 2017, contributing five goals and six assists before moving to Sociedad.

Song thoughts anyone??
His name scans pretty well with Bamboléo by The Gypsy Kings, but haven't got a clue how you'd fit words into that!

Maybe we need to bring back 'Danny the Drum' in the Park Lane'/Shelf corner?!!!

Back
Top Bottom