Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City has one of the best squads in the premier league era. Woolwich and United's best chance of winning the league this season is Pellegrini.
I think we have a young and exciting squad, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Possibly, but no one's really grasped the league with two hands this season so far have they? Every team has dropped points, and all three of those teams have had / still have a number of major players out with injury.

The main point for me is how we've played even when we've dropped points. Would we have drawn the Stoke, Leicester, Swansea, Liverpool or Woolwich games (even lost to Utd on opening day) if we had a player like Bale in the team? We could easily be sitting first or second in the league?

How many points does a player like that win you single handedly? Look at Liverpool when they finished 2nd. They didn't have a great squad by any means. They had a number of players in good form and one absolutely world class player who consistently made the difference.

It's all hypothetical anyway, but if Chelsea can be where they are in the table and Leicester can be where they are the table, at this point in the season, then all bets are off, and a boy can dream can't he?

Last edited:
Not sure which thread to place the following in, but as it's related to Ali, England, young players and Poch, I've placed it here.

'Tottenham’s focus on developing and retaining young players is benefiting England and Roy Hodgson has been quick to express his gratitude. Pochettino was at Wembley as Hodgson’s guest on Tuesday night and will have been delighted with the performances of his players. While Alli stole the headlines, Kane and Eric Dier also impressed, with Ryan Mason and Kyle Walker remaining on the bench.

“We’re delighted that Tottenham, and Pochettino in particular, have gone down this route of giving players he thinks have quality a chance,” Hodgson said. “He has shown his faith in them and it is perfect for us because it means if we like them as well we can show our faith in them and that is exactly how it has been.

“Tottenham are a team that is interesting for me to watch because when I go there I get to see sometimes as many as five Englishmen.

“There are some teams when I go and watch them that there isn’t one Englishman in the team. They might be a very good team, who play nice football, but they are not a lot of good to me if they don’t play Englishmen.”

Dier praised Pochettino for being fearless in blooding young players, an intriguing comment which implied other Premier League managers are afraid to give young players a chance.

“I think maybe he just doesn’t have the fear that other managers have in giving people a chance, you know?” Dier said. “He has no fear in giving you a chance, but then it is obviously up to the player to take it.”

Alli also expressed gratitude for the faith that Pochettino has placed in him, which has been more than vindicated.

“He’s a great manager and he puts a lot of trust in young English players,” Alli said. “It’s a great thing for English football. It’s a great platform for the club and it shows what we’re about.

“He’s a great guy, really passionate, and he cares about the players. If you’ve got any problems he’s always there for you. I can already tell that from the short time I’ve been there. He puts a lot of trust into youngsters which is obviously really good for me.”

Taken from an article in The Times.

Last edited:
It's not that different to me than any cheers of support for hard tackles and various elements of dirty play. It doesn't have to be taken literally. It may not have been meant literally by everyone in the crowd who originally used that chant.

That's probably true. But in what way does it fit? To me it seems a horrible fit, in addition to being crude and 'barbaric'. It probably sounded cool in some movie, perhaps even live during that rumble, but it really should never, ever be used for Dele Alli.

Had he been Charlie Alli Adam, Vinnie Alli Jones or Roy Alli Keane, then perhaps (although in my opinion it would still be dumb to shout about killing people from the stands during a football game, particularly so if it was a planned, regular shout for a player). But with Dele Alli isn't a pig out there, he isn't there to 'kill' anyone, he's there to nutmeg them and score goals.

It's not that different to me than any cheers of support for hard tackles and various elements of dirty play. It doesn't have to be taken literally. It may not have been meant literally by everyone in the crowd who originally used that chant.
I feel it must of been? As they were chanting it in thier own lingo. It prob would be the case if it was sung over here.

That's probably true. But in what way does it fit? To me it seems a horrible fit, in addition to being crude and 'barbaric'. It probably sounded cool in some movie, perhaps even live during that rumble, but it really should never, ever be used for Dele Alli.

Had he been Charlie Alli Adam, Vinnie Alli Jones or Roy Alli Keane, then perhaps (although in my opinion it would still be dumb to shout about killing people from the stands during a football game, particularly so if it was a planned, regular shout for a player). But with Dele Alli isn't a pig out there, he isn't there to 'kill' anyone, he's there to nutmeg them and score goals.
. The chant reflexs against one of the best sporting events of all time with the most famous sport star on the planet. It represents, for me a golden era of sport where no one really cared or knew of its meaning. It sounded bloody good.lets replace Bomaye with something similar if it offends?

I'll let Alli know not to shoot either, cos shooting kills people right?

. The chant reflexs against one of the best sporting events of all time with the most famous sport star on the planet. It represents, for me a golden era of sport where no one really cared or knew of its meaning. It sounded bloody good.lets replace Bomaye with something similar if it offends?

Why so desperate? The people that know the chant will know it's provenance. The people that don't know it will be clueless. I will delete this post in 30 mins because I'm fed up making points to posters that don't respond. Ok mr s?

Mr S kill him, Mr S kill him. Wtf?

Last edited:
Why so desperate? The people that know the chant will know it's provenance. The people that don't know it will be clueless. I will delete this post in 30 mins because I'm fed up making points to posters that don't espond. Ok mr s?

Mr S kill him, Mr S kill him. Wtf?
Ive got no agenda here, its only a bit of fun, an idea, a suggestion. It was an iconic moment from a era which oozes personality. Sometimes words are lost in translation, as with this. The word kill , according to a friend of mine, refers to beat him, kill him - its not a direct ref to snuff him.

Last edited:
I'll let Alli know not to shoot either, cos shooting kills people right?

I think you'll agree that your comparison is rather terrible. Shooting refers to setting a projectile in motion. Yes, said projectile may be a bullet from a gun, and said bullet may kill a person, but that is one of many possible meanings and outcomes.

'kill him' doesn't really have many different meanings, does it?

I think you'll agree that your comparison is rather terrible. Shooting refers to setting a projectile in motion. Yes, said projectile may be a bullet from a gun, and said bullet may kill a person, but that is one of many possible meanings and outcomes.

'kill him' doesn't really have many different meanings, does it?
Context is the point.

People are said to have "smashed it" or "killed it" when they perform well.

We aren't saying "Alli kill that particular guy there"

I don't even know why I'm explaining this, it's a football song, they rarely make sense, if they did, 92 teams would apparently be by far the greatest team....... the world has ever seen.

You don't like the song, good stuff. End of.

I don't like words, they hurt my feelings.
giphy.gif

So, essentially, to metaphorically slay them on the pitch with his talent. It's not like we don't used a whole host of violent imagery in our language to describe sport. We don't win, we smash them, kick their ass, murder the bastards. A player doesn't just get around his opposite, he torches them or leaves them for dead. We don't just lose, we get mugged or robbed. To me, "Alli bomaye" would be in the same context. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Not sure which thread to place the following in, but as it's related to England, young players and Poch, I've placed it here.

'Tottenham’s focus on developing and retaining young players is benefiting England and Roy Hodgson has been quick to express his gratitude. Pochettino was at Wembley as Hodgson’s guest on Tuesday night and will have been delighted with the performances of his players. While Alli stole the headlines, Kane and Eric Dier also impressed, with Ryan Mason and Kyle Walker remaining on the bench.

“We’re delighted that Tottenham, and Pochettino in particular, have gone down this route of giving players he thinks have quality a chance,” Hodgson said. “He has shown his faith in them and it is perfect for us because it means if we like them as well we can show our faith in them and that is exactly how it has been.

“Tottenham are a team that is interesting for me to watch because when I go there I get to see sometimes as many as five Englishmen.

“There are some teams when I go and watch them that there isn’t one Englishman in the team. They might be a very good team, who play nice football, but they are not a lot of good to me if they don’t play Englishmen.”

Dier praised Pochettino for being fearless in blooding young players, an intriguing comment which implied other Premier League managers are afraid to give young players a chance.

“I think maybe he just doesn’t have the fear that other managers have in giving people a chance, you know?” Dier said. “He has no fear in giving you a chance, but then it is obviously up to the player to take it.”

Alli also expressed gratitude for the faith that Pochettino has placed in him, which has been more than vindicated.

“He’s a great manager and he puts a lot of trust in young English players,” Alli said. “It’s a great thing for English football. It’s a great platform for the club and it shows what we’re about.

“He’s a great guy, really passionate, and he cares about the players. If you’ve got any problems he’s always there for you. I can already tell that from the short time I’ve been there. He puts a lot of trust into youngsters which is obviously really good for me.”

Taken from an article in The Times.
This is why we are on the verge of doing some great things: Young guys want to play for the shirt and the manager has installed this in them, fantastic stuff!

Back
Top Bottom