Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has Dele got a spot for life too or is the notion of form somehow conveniently more meaningful when it comes to him?
Not sure how Dele entered this particular conversation (OK, I know it's the Dele thread)! By common consent he's been poor for a couple of years now.

Would I choose him or Gedson? That's close.

Not sure how Dele entered this conversation! By common consent he's been poor for a couple of years now.

Would I choose him or Gedson? That's close.

You're not sure?

It aught to be pretty straight forward...... The question explains itself. I'm queering how staunch your 'track record > form stance' is.

The names are interchangeable.

p.s. We're in the Dele thread. ;)

You're not sure?

It aught to be pretty straight forward...... The question explains itself. I'm queering how staunch your 'track record > form stance' is.

The names are interchangeable.

p.s. We're in the Dele thread. ;)
I know, but I had to check!

Dele or Gedson? I don't know.

We know what Dele can do, but now does it very rarely.

We don't know what Gedson can do (and I haven't been particularly impressed to date)

On balance, Dele to start - but it's close.

Well, we'll just have to disagree.

In my view starting Kane in the CL final was the right decision. We'll never know what would have happened if Lucas started (or if Sissoko hadn't stuck his hand out).

In my view Son always starts in front of Gedson. It's up to Gedson to prove it the other way round.
Your kind of overlooking the point il. If Kane Son or Messi are ineffective (as Kane was in the ECL final) due to fitness its poor management to play them. VVD loved playing zombie Kane, Sarr showed the other day that ALL centerbacks hate pace and mobility. Lucas though wildly erratic has both to spare. I was at St Mary's in ecstasy watching a considerably more mobile Kane ruin VVD, I long for that player back. But picking players on reputation is the most obvious manifestation of a poor coach, hell we'd still be playing Ade and never have seen Kane. England failed endlessly under Eriksen doing this and you think Spurs should copy it?

I know, but I had to check!

Dele or Gedson?

I honestly don't know.

Clearly you DON'T understand the question, because Gedson specifically is irrelevant.

I literally just said: "The names are interchangeable."

We know what Dele can do, but now does it very rarely.

We don't know what Gedson can do (and I haven't been particularly impressed to date)

On balance, Dele to start - but it's close.

Even now you're entirely discarding the concept of form.

Evidently you're merely pondering who you think is the best player.

Sammy wasn't saying "Gedson is better than Son".

Sammy wasn't saying "Gedson is better than Son".
No idea, he'll have to answer. It was the 'Son has been rubbish for ages' that I was responding to. I pointed out that Son scored six times in Jan/Feb during which time we won 3, lost one and drew once..

Form or reputation? Form always. However form is not established over one or two games but a sequence of half a dozen at least in quick succession. Reputations are built over years.

Gedson has been with us for weeks - so he has no form and a limited reputation built in a foreign league. Dele and Son have played for years in the PL and we know what they can do.

So that’s a lot of words to not answer a question
If Son was playing poorly and Gedson was playing well, you would drop Gedson for Son?
I wouldn't and I will explain why.

Son is a goal threat and has proven he can both score and assist. If he was in bad form i would possibly drop him for an attacking midfielder/forward with a goal threat but not for Gedson. Gedson looks a good player and I would definitely drop a central midfield player playing poor for him but drop a goal threat like Son? No.

Treble, yeah right mate, United fans were delighted with that treble loooooooooool
We ain’t Utd though....I guess we can look down on the EL once we’ve won the CL a few times

And I’m sure you know loads of proper Utd fans who told you how gutted they were.
Funny how Jose got a standing ovation up there

Form or reputation? Form always. However form is not established over one or two games but a sequence of half a dozen at least in quick succession. Reputations are built over years.

(Without wanting to get semantic, 'reputation' means something somewhat different to me, but assuming you're actually embracing the question put to you now....)

This largely contradicts the picture you've painted up until now, but ok... So you'd have no problem dropping Son if he was out of form then.

I wouldn't and I will explain why.

Son is a goal threat and has proven he can both score and assist. If he was in bad form i would possibly drop him for an attacking midfielder/forward with a goal threat but not for Gedson. Gedson looks a good player and I would definitely drop a central midfield player playing poor for him but drop a goal threat like Son? No.
Then don’t wonder why we are shit then because clearly a lot of you prefer to watch your favorites prancing around the pitch missing sitters and not controlling the ball properly, in the hope they score in the 93rd minute.

Son was atrocious against Villa.

But no one seems to entertain the idea the game might have been put to bed earlier and more comfortably if he’d been subbed?

Then they slate the manager for using the same logic

(Without wanting to get semantic, 'reputation' means something somewhat different to me, but assuming you're actually embracing the question put to you now....)

This largely contradicts the picture you've painted up until now, but ok... So you'd have no problem dropping Son if he was out of form then.
Exactly......it was such a simple thing to answer.

Then don’t wonder why we are shit then because clearly a lot of you prefer to watch your favorites prancing around the pitch missing sitters and not controlling the ball properly, in the hope they score in the 93rd minute.

But no one seems to entertain the idea the game might have been put to bed earlier and more comfortably if he’d been subbed?

Then they slate the manager for using the same logic
Atrocious? Deary me.

No hesitation at all.

However he'd need several, goal-less, under performing games to be dropped - and even then I'd think twice.

No agenda here, but Sonny's goals during that spell were masking some really gash performances across the 90m.
I think he wasn't good that game (and maybe a few other games) but atrocious....especially after scoring a couple of goals...is an exaggeration.

Atrocious would be a player (let's say we are talking about a forward) not getting in goalscoring positions, giving the ball away and not really closing down. If sonny didnt score the 2 goals that game then maybe 'very poor' would be correct but he did so I would say average/decent.

A little extreme. He scored twice

As I've said before, if a player scores a goal every game he can sit in a deckchair for the rest of the time as far as I'm concerned. Greaves and Lineker did very little 'tracking back'. That was for others.

Scoring goals (and creating for others) is the only reason Son is in the team. He scored twice

I think he wasn't good that game (and maybe a few other games) but atrocious....especially after scoring a couple of goals...is an exaggeration.

Atrocious would be a player (let's say we are talking about a forward) not getting in goalscoring positions, giving the ball away and not really closing down. If sonny didnt score the 2 goals that game then maybe 'very poor' would be correct but he did so I would say average/decent.

Very poor... Gash... Atrocious..... Not really worth splitting hairs at the point, imo. The general gist is much the same.

Goals aside; depends on what one sees the function of an AM to specifically be I guess. His work with the ball and linking up with others was poor.

Hopefully he returns soon; refreshed and fired up...

(Personally I still can't fathom why he can't start playing with a cast WAY before the end of the season.)

A little extreme. He scored twice

As I've said before, if a player scores a goal every game he can sit in a deckchair for the rest of the time as far as I'm concerned. Greaves and Lineker did very little 'tracking back'. That was for others.

Scoring goals (and creating for others) is the only reason Son is in the team. He scored twice

Son isn't a CF though.... He's required to contribute beyond his finishing ability.

Rhetorically speaking, if we're essentially playing with 10 men, then the rest of the team will struggle and that goal may not stand to mean much when the final whistle blows.

Son isn't a CF though.... He's required to contribute beyond his finishing ability.

Rhetorically speaking, if we're essentially playing with 10 men, then the rest of the team will struggle and that goal may not stand to mean much when the final whistle blows.
He was playing as a Kane stand-in. I can't remember whether he was an AM, winger or CF or false 9, but he was our main goal scoring threat. A role he performed admirably.

In general Son's main purpose is scoring and creating. Not tackles made or ground covered or all the other spurious stats we use to judge a players performance.

No matter how poor the rest of his performance was against Villa (and it was pretty poor) he scored twice and that's all that I'll measure him by.

BTW I don't mean literally sitting in a deckchair, I'd expect him to take the odd throw in or corner.

Back
Top Bottom