Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we knew the answer one of us would be getting paid 15 million, not Jose.
I'd imagine he'd play the #10 role when teams sit back defensively and Kane plays the traditional #9. He gives us options and depth. It's a long season.
Not really an impact Sub either
I’d sooner start him

Did what he needed to tonight. Two assists, granted one with a deflection. Set up Davies to hit the post. Crossed for CV to assist Moura. Looked like he was putting the effort in. Not the best he’s played, but far from the worst.

I don't see how you could possibly believe Dele could, for example, come in and play the role Bergwijn played against City. There is simply no role left for him in the formation and style we play under Mourinho. It's made him redundant.
That makes zero sense ... he just played 90 minutes in a very successful role did you not watch?

The problem for Dele is that his old role - somewhere between a striker and an AM - isn't in the standard Mourinho EPL playbook, Dele needs to adjust to either the Son, Bergwijn, Bale, Lucas, Lamela role of an attacking player who also covers back ... or make himself a clone of Kane, a very creative goalscorer.

The first option means his chances of playing are slim to none, but the second option is possible he has the ability but can he put in the work? He did a pretty good Kane impression tonight because the defensive work wasn't needed, harder tests will come in the EL and that will be his opportunity.

To say "no role left for him in the formation and style we play" ignores the fact that players can change - just look at Kane this season, or Dier from a year ago.

I don't see how you could possibly believe Dele could, for example, come in and play the role Bergwijn played against City. There is simply no role left for him in the formation and style we play under Mourinho. It's made him redundant.
We aren't going to set up in the same way we set up against City every week are we?

Not only is Dele going to be important to the team he's going to chip in with 10+ league goals by the end of this season, wait and see.

Neither is your English I'm sad to say and I guess it's your mother tongue? Ouch.

There is always a "point" learning new languages, regardless, but I guess it may stop before we get to that.
meeting loads of norwegians in the greek islands mid 80s was reason enough to learn a bit for me; had a couple of girlfriends from there and loved visiting the country. Great people. Anyway, glad Dele seemed to have a bit of his mojo back tonight at least.

Today he worked hard and for the first time in a long while, he looked mobile. He was running hard and using his stride well, got in behind, played killer passes and even took a shot from distance. If he plays with that intensity from now on then he can turn his situation around.

IIRC once he lost the ball and his arm went to go up in frustration and to point like usual, something clicked and he ran after it. Was really good to see.

The gulf between Ndombele and Dele is all too apparent but it is in every spurs fans interest for Dele to come good.

I think it was his attitude that impressed me more than his performance.
Not that he played badly, on the contrary, but his work rate was very impressive and he was leaving a little bit on their players like he used to.
Good on him.

We aren't going to set up in the same way we set up against City every week are we?

Not only is Dele going to be important to the team he's going to chip in with 10+ league goals by the end of this season, wait and see.

Yes Dele did do well which was really pleasing but there is a danger here that people are getting carried away. I don’t want to piss on anyone’s chips and of course you can only beat what is in front of you but that Ludogorets team was very poor, Conference/League 2 standard. In fact Newport County gave us far more problems over 2 games a few years ago. A measure of how poor they were was that our debutant youngsters came on and took the piss near the end(full marks to them for that). You simply don’t get the time and space that he had last night in the Premier League. Making statements like he is going to chip in with 10+ league goals by the end of the season is a brave prediction considering the league season is a quarter gone already and he is not yet back in the first team- and to be honest we have done pretty well without him. Encouraging signs for Dele but let’s keep our feet on the ground

I'm not sure why people think our formation doesn't have a place for Dele.
It's 4231 with Ndombele playing in the middle of the 3, or like tonight - Dele. The position that I think suits him most, like a shadow striker.

Doesn't warrant a start against Chelsea but it's encouraging to see how he played tonight. Does deserve to be in the match day squad though.

He might leave. He might want to be part of the Tottenham side that finally win something first though.

He might leave. He might want to be part of the Tottenham side that finally win something first though.
That's a good point. I've been of the opinion that it would be best for both parties if he leaves. We get a fee and he gets a chance to get his career back on track.

However, he might see that there's a chance to get a PL winners medal, even though he might only play a handful of games.

Back
Top Bottom