Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he probably was made to look better than he was with all those other good players around him.
You've probably not watched much of his games when he first burst into the scene. He definitely showed undeniable quality on his own in both creating and scoring blinders.

Had a shocking decline over the last few years and seems to have lost his drive now, but can't ignore what he once was.

The game's best managers tried and were not able to get Alli going again.

Lampard may be different or simply a new environment may help.

Alli needs a certain type of quality alongside him and also the youth and impetuous nature that once set him apart.

He will have good games and will score goals but he will never again be the player he was.

He's going to get an insane reception when he comes later this season at the Lane. Uncomparable to anything in the last 15 years.

It’s an Aaron Lennon times 5 situation. Likeable chap who made very sweet memories with us but it’s not working anymore.

Fully deserves a standing ovation for the good service he did to us once.

BGUK_907093_011jpg-JS336538595_PETROL-HEADERS.jpg
That's a rental. It's like me pulling up with a Mustang when on holiday in the states.

He played with such joy, freedom, and recklessness in the best way when he broke through.

Hard to know why that disappeared, there’s been a million different theories but when you watch him play now he just looks so miserable. When he was at his best he seemed like he was having the most fun of anyone on the pitch.

Maybe that’s just what it’s like when you get older, hard to keep playing like you’re a kid having a kickabout when so much fame and expectation infringes on your life. It’s a damn shame, he was a joy to watch at his best.

Sad to see him go and I hope he succeeds but if there was ever a player that seems like the perfect Everton-signing, it's Dele. It seems like every young player that was supposed to be the next big thing ends up at Everton when their career doesn't go as expected. ( Lennon, Theo Walcott, James Rodriguez, Donny Van der Beek etc.)

He played with such joy, freedom, and recklessness in the best way when he broke through.

Hard to know why that disappeared, there’s been a million different theories but when you watch him play now he just looks so miserable. When he was at his best he seemed like he was having the most fun of anyone on the pitch.

Maybe that’s just what it’s like when you get older, hard to keep playing like you’re a kid having a kickabout when so much fame and expectation infringes on your life. It’s a damn shame, he was a joy to watch at his best.
I think that's why many are feeling such mixed emotions this morning... (pinch, punch btw!!)

It was evident he wasn't enjoying his time here any more, and that's the tragedy.
Because at one point, he was part of a very very good Tottenham team... I would hesitate to say 'Great' simply because we had ntohing to show for it (Trophy-wise) and maybe the fact that team still didn't manage to win something - even at its peak - was deeply frustrating, despite all the joyful moments it gave us at the time... and probably meant it was only gonna be downhill after that.

I refuse to 'lump him in' with Ndombele and Lo Celso, simply because neither of them have given fans pure joy and pleasure in their time here... Dele did... on many occasions. I wish it was him out on loan... 'cos the other two still have the opportunity to come back!

The biggest shame is that those days seem to have gone for him already... he's only 25 FFS!

I wish him well, I really do. I just hope he can recapture some of the form his talent and ability is clearly capable of.... but I know that if he does, I'll be wishing and wondering why he couldn't have recaptured that with us!

I'm just praying Dier's form doesn't start to dip now his best friend has gone....

It really is: 'Thanks for the memories Dele'. :allitongue:

I think that's why many are feeling such mixed emotions this morning... (pinch, punch btw!!)

It was evident he wasn't enjoying his time here any more, and that's the tragedy. Because at one point, he was part of a very very good Tottenham team... I would hesitate to say 'Great' simply because we had ntohing to show for it (Trophy-wise) and maybe the fact that team still didn't manage to win something even at its peak meant it was only gonna be downhill after that.

I refuse to 'lump him in' with Ndombele's and Lo Celso, simply because neither of them have given fans pure joy and pleasure in their time here... Dele did... on many occasions.

The biggest shame is that those days seem to have gone for him already... he's only 25 FFS!

I wish him well, I really do. I just hope he can recapture some of the form his talent and ability is clearly capable of.... but I know that if he does, I'll be wishing and wondering why he couldn't have recaptured that with us!

I'm just praying Dier's form doesn't start to dip now his best friend has gone....

You’ve mentioned something interesting there. I feel like it’s genuinely been years since the Dele/Dier friendship has been discussed or hyped up.

Dier seems like kind of a unique character for a footballer. Apparently somewhat bookish, really interested and talented in speaking different languages, and has a lot of interests outside of football. Seems like Dier now hangs out with the older and more mature and settled with a family types at the club like Kane and Doherty. He was on vacation last summer with Vertonghen. Whereas Dele seems to be a cliche of a footballer, spends a lot in Dubai and the like with chavvy characters like James Maddison and Ben Chilwell.

I reckon the seeming decline in his friendship with Dier, not that they have beef or anything, probably says something about his career decline. It just seems to me like he’s fallen out of love with football, would love to see him playing with joy again.

It’s easy to understand though, I know if at age 19 or 20 I became a nationally adored millionaire I might have let my commitment slip.

He had it all...but now he doesn't. Well he still has a load of grown men behaving as if their dog died so there's that...

I hope he manages to find his way back because football is a colder place without players like him.

It was evident he wasn't enjoying his time here any more, and that's the tragedy.
Because at one point, he was part of a very very good Tottenham team... I would hesitate to say 'Great' simply because we had ntohing to show for it (Trophy-wise) and maybe the fact that team still didn't manage to win something - even at its peak - was deeply frustrating, despite all the joyful moments it gave us at the time... and probably meant it was only gonna be downhill after that.

I refuse to 'lump him in' with Ndombele and Lo Celso, simply because neither of them have given fans pure joy and pleasure in their time here... Dele did... on many occasions. I wish it was him out on loan... 'cos the other two still have the opportunity to come back!

Well said.

Their output over the last few years may not have been all that different, but he really doesn’t fall in the same bucket as Ndombele and LoCelso.
He gave it everything for a good few years, and truly did seem to love being at spurs.

Whether it be his hamstrings being done, or him just needed a change of scenery it’s a shame to see him go. Like you I’d love for him to come good again, but a part of me just can’t see it happening, at least not to the levels he had with us.

bus-conductor bus-conductor you were right. Such an odd way to structure the deal.
Even the whole getting paid 10mil this year if he plays 20 games, when there are only 18 left to play.
Wonder if it was Spurs just trying to get it done at near all costs.
Seems like someone forgot to bring their abacus....
:levyeyes:
"DANIEL, sit up straight in class boy... and con-cen-trate, or you'll never amount to anything!" :levywtf:

Back
Top Bottom