Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I might not have seen it clearly, but did he storm off down the tunnel when subbed ? Looked like he moaned at the bench and then walked ?

I loved watching him when he was at his best and part of an excellent team. But he is done now isn't he? Certainly for us he is.

Plenty have been saying that for years. He keeps getting starts and was rewarded with the captaincy tonight.

The absolute scenes if Harry stormed off down the tunnel like that.

I might not have seen it clearly, but did he storm off down the tunnel when subbed ? Looked like he moaned at the bench and then walked ?

I might be the last to admit it, but he's done. He's not coming back is he?
Thanks for an incredible 15/16 Del Boy. You more than paid your fee back in that season. alone
How can the light that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale?

Captain stripped of the honour and packed away 45 mins in. Even Nuno can see he's lost the spark.

I think Nuno was trying to keep the dressing room happy as there seem to be a lot of reports about unhappy players in training leaking out lately. Same thing happened with Poch and Jose. Not with Mason though.

We'll know where Nuno's head is at about an hour before kickoff with Villa. Gio has shown enough tonight that he should be playing in his place.

Let's indulge our in the hindsight talking. If look at the team during those years, we would open can of worm on other issues. We lack a goalscorer beside Kane, either support him or back him up to get him some rest. Without that goal scorer, we had no choice but utilize Dele there. And Dele couldn't displace Wanyama and Demebele. Eriksen role is not static, and overall higher up the pitch; yet he could play deeper centrally when required. Then we had a promising Mason pre injury. Dier in midfield for a pseudo back 3 tactic when we had 2 flying full backs (a good back up for right wing with Trippier too). When we went serious with 3 at the back after Sanchez freshly joined, the midfield is stacked in quantity. Last but not least, the Winks hype from part of the fanbase. We just didn't have enough opportunity to try Dele in midfield.

Even if he developed there in due time, it's still doubtful he has become a top class midfielder. I meant we're seeing in NDombele a talented player that has been developed in his position, yet his mentality has kept him from fulfilling his potential. Or Pogba at Man U, he has all physical, technical talent, and vision, but since he can't focus on ability, he never find the consistency to showcase his talent.

I just don't see how different it may be with Dele development. He got the best route up until 2018 for his career. He didn't take his chance from then on.

I'm not sure you're really recalling the player he was when he first arrived..... If available go check his highlights for England against France at Wembley around 2017 time.

He's still young to develop his game if he has it in him, so IMO he's the only one really holding himself back.

Again... This is the part I am left disputing..... He's been playing senior football since he was 16..... In that sense he's 'older' than he's years. I don't think evolving will come easy at this point; even with a concerted effort on his part.

We're not a million miles away from the fact that Winks's original forward looking instincts have been coached out of him. I don't think he'll ever get them back either.

Fresh surroundings.... New challenges.... Fresh ideas...... Clean slate..... Best for both of them at his point.

....Even if in Dele's case that means simply being a false 9/auxiliary striker type.

Last edited:
A real shame - his role at MK Dons seemed to be as a CM but with a role to arrive late in box and be in a position to score.

At Spurs his role changed very quickly to being a 'auxiliary striker' playing off Kane as a no 10, with Eriksen providing the creativity and Son the width as well as being a forward. And that foursome was formidable with all 4 generally getting 20+ assists/goals for about 4 or 5 seasons in a row - although Dele's stats seemed to fall away as early as 18/19 when he seemed to want to be a Boohoo model rather than focus on football .

We seem to have tried to use him a a CM, but its clear that he really isn't showing the skill set for that, not creative enough etc.

Question is whether Lo Celso has the skill set to recreate the Eriksen role (Ndombele just doesn't have the work rate to get round the pitch to fill the Eriksen role) so that we can get back to the Kane/Son/Dele/Eriksen set up. And I'm not sure Lo Celso has the passing ability of Eriksen, so maybe we cannot recreate that role with Dele.

To a large extent, Dele needs to really want to force his way back into the team and really contribute to it. But atm is he really showing he's better than other players in positions he can play ?

Sadly I don't think he is.

I might be the last to admit it, but he's done. He's not coming back is he?
Thanks for an incredible 15/16 Del Boy. You more than paid your fee back in that season. alone
How can the light that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale?
I’ve not wanted to admit it but today sealed it for me. He was dreadful. Awful. So sad. He almost got it back with Mou but something has broken in him, talent and motivation, none of which can be fixed for me.

R.I.P. Prince of Nutmegs, 1996-2017.

Died of exhaustion from an extensive Fortnite binge. His secret twin brother stepped in to keep the football salary flowing, but sadly could not replicate the talent.

He couldn't believe that he still got to smash Ruby Mae for a while, until she as well realized that the spark had gone out and something was missing.

I don't want him to be shit though.
:moursad:
giphy.gif

Mourinhos "shit trainer" comments didn't come from nowhere. I get the impression that the guy felt he done it all after a couple of good seasons and stopped taking it seriously at a key age for his development. Incredibly sad as he used to be phenomenal at ghosting into the box and his finishing was amazing. Right now he'd struggle to get back into MK Dons!

What I don't get was why he was wearing the Captain's armband to begin with. Did Nuno really think it was going to give him his powers back? Sorry, that's not happening. He's relinquished them. He's Clarke Kent taking a kicking in a cafe. He's knelt before Zod. He's done.

What I don't get was why he was wearing the Captain's armband to begin with. Did Nuno really think it was going to give him his powers back? Sorry, that's not happening. He's relinquished them. He's Clarke Kent taking a kicking in a cafe. He's knelt before Zod. He's done.
Means Dele would still have lots of game time in the remaining season.......

Back
Top Bottom