Dempsey

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thelonious said:
It'd be interesting to see how he'd (Balotelli) get on with Redknapp, could be similar to Di Canio at West Ham.
Maybe we can just ship Adebayor back, and get Balotelli on loan. Then the next season we can get Dzecko, then Tevez, and so on.

Dr. Filth said:
If Dempsey signed maybe more Americans would become Tottenham fans. That might be something that Levy would consider.

No thanks.

How about we just sign players we need - become successful - and the same 'floating' fans will support us anyway......

Blanchflower said:
Dr. Filth said:
If Dempsey signed maybe more Americans would become Tottenham fans. That might be something that Levy would consider.

No thanks.

How about we just sign players we need - become successful - and the same 'floating' fans will support us anyway......
Don't get me wrong that is a stupid reason to sign a player. I just wonder if that is something Levy would consider. I have a couple of friends that are Fullham fans because of Dempsey and a couple that are Everton fans because of Howard and sometimes Donovan.

Don't want anymore plastic American fans. I started supporting Spurs because an English Man U fella I knew in college told me that I couldn't, because "they're just a bunch of Jews."

If my fellow countryman are going to support a team, let it be because they believe in their identity, not because Levy is pandering to the masses, saying "We're a big club, now! We've got a brand!"

At the very least let it be because Spurs play positive football or nothing. If we get our asses kicked it's usually because we said "fuck it, we're going to play entertaining, attacking football."

But I am rather partial to Levy. Hard headed businessman he may be, but English football would be better if more Chairmen were more like him. An interesting problem that I've been considering for a long time now is that fans complain that football has become too commercial, that the identity of the clubs are lost, etc.

(Full disclosure. I have a degree in Economics, and I am a committed Capitalist.)

But it has always struck me that the characteristics of the international footballing world today are likely anything but capitalist. There's this mass delusion that footballing clubs are immune from financial crises and bankruptcy/administration. The hubris in Football these days is infuriating and, if anything, it's my opinion that football needs more people like Daniel Levy, more hard headed businessmen, and less Roman Abramovii. The massive debts that footballing clubs run up are simply staggering, and it isn't in the best interest of the fans, or the club.

Is it painful that the management of clubs is simply looking for profits? YES! They don't have the same love for the club as we do, surely. But, the infuriating part is that profits don't even matter anymore to most footballing executives.

These continual deficits run by clubs like Chelsea and Man City hurt the clubs themselves the most. That's what has always disgusted me about those teams. Sure, they can buy some trophies, but they are seriously endangering the future of the very clubs they claim to support.

What kind of support is that? That you'd have a trophy in exchange for threatening the future existence of the club?

Most people that you get to watch Tottenham end up falling for our brand of football. In America, the problem is actually getting eyes on our brand of football. Call me selfish, but I would like more Amerian fans. It seems all I get are Chelsea, United, and Woolwich fans.

edit: I'm not even going to touch the economics portion of your post.

That's fine. Econ ain't for everyone.

I've always been of the opinion that bandwagon fans don't last very long with Spurs. There's too much heartache.

I'm sure Bill Simmons is going to buy that first Spurs shirt any day now.

If one believes our very own podcast, Levy has already signed multiple players with an eye towards building the thfc brand abroad. The difference was that it wasn't in the US, but, rather in another country which until recently had legal racism against its non white population.

In my opinion I would love to see Dempsey at Tottenham. I do live in USA and I have been a fan for a while now. I think there needs to be a little change. It seems to me that Bale wants to be pushed to the middle, possibly striker. He just does not want to stay along the sideline. If Dempsey were with him think what they could do. They could move around each other and I think they would work well together.

danb12 said:
In my opinion I would love to see Dempsey at Tottenham. I do live in USA and I have been a fan for a while now. I think there needs to be a little change. It seems to me that Bale wants to be pushed to the middle, possibly striker. He just does not want to stay along the sideline. If Dempsey were with him think what they could do. They could move around each other and I think they would work well together.

I don't thinks it's a case of Bale not wanting to play out wide. It's just he's kind of been sussed by teams and 'Arry needs to re-think how he can play.

He's much much better out wide anyway. See: Bale Hat-Trick Milan

VirginiaSpur said:
Don't want anymore plastic American fans. I started supporting Spurs because an English Man U fella I knew in college told me that I couldn't, because "they're just a bunch of Jews."

If my fellow countryman are going to support a team, let it be because they believe in their identity, not because Levy is pandering to the masses, saying "We're a big club, now! We've got a brand!"

At the very least let it be because Spurs play positive football or nothing. If we get our asses kicked it's usually because we said "fuck it, we're going to play entertaining, attacking football."

But I am rather partial to Levy. Hard headed businessman he may be, but English football would be better if more Chairmen were more like him. An interesting problem that I've been considering for a long time now is that fans complain that football has become too commercial, that the identity of the clubs are lost, etc.

(Full disclosure. I have a degree in Economics, and I am a committed Capitalist.)

But it has always struck me that the characteristics of the international footballing world today are likely anything but capitalist. There's this mass delusion that footballing clubs are immune from financial crises and bankruptcy/administration. The hubris in Football these days is infuriating and, if anything, it's my opinion that football needs more people like Daniel Levy, more hard headed businessmen, and less Roman Abramovii. The massive debts that footballing clubs run up are simply staggering, and it isn't in the best interest of the fans, or the club.

Is it painful that the management of clubs is simply looking for profits? YES! They don't have the same love for the club as we do, surely. But, the infuriating part is that profits don't even matter anymore to most footballing executives.

These continual deficits run by clubs like Chelsea and Man City hurt the clubs themselves the most. That's what has always disgusted me about those teams. Sure, they can buy some trophies, but they are seriously endangering the future of the very clubs they claim to support.

What kind of support is that? That you'd have a trophy in exchange for threatening the future existence of the club?

I'm an American, and I support this message.

I'm always annoyed when I can't watch my Spurs. In fact, I rage a bit. The club has a place in my heart fitting right alongside my American teams, and it kills me that I can't experience every moment because they don't have the pull that bigger clubs have here in the States.

I live and breathe Spurs as much as I live and breathe any other team I support. I've been sold because of the football and not because I like their mascot or some other bullshit. A day without Spurs is a sad day in my life.

COYS!

Regarding Dempsey, not really interested. He's a good footballer, and has an eye for goal, but he'll hit the downswing sooner rather than later. I guess if we did purchase him he'd play CAM, and we'd either move vdV or just relegate him to the bench. Not sure if I'd like that personally.

Dempsey has a very broad skill set that has been misused at the international and club level. While he can play on the left or right wing but is best suited playing centrally near goal just off a striker or as a striker himself. Every time he starts up top for the USA he scores and this year he has 5 goals in 5 starts at striker for Fulham.

For Spurs he would be a great fit as he could start or provide cover at pretty much every attacking position. I'm not sure what his mind-set is, he wants Champions League football but I'm not sure if he is willing to be a bench player. I pray to the football gods that he doesn't join Woolwich as the papers suggest. I don't want to have to hate him and Podolski my two favorite non-Spurs players!

Dempsey has a lot of great qualities. He works as hard as he can every single game. He is tenacious and some would say a bit gangsta.

On occasion he is capable of goals like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZR48Cnn9FU[/youtube]

But I wouldn't want to see him come to Tottenham. I think he has a real chance to carve himself legend status at Fulham. While this may seem a laughable statement it has more to do with my countries slow advances in the game. Dempsey, with this season, has easily eclipsed all other past and present US outfield players as the best we've produced. There is no American who can claim to be a pillar for a Premier League club's foundation like Dempsey can (with the exception of Howard, but he is a goalie). For him to make a move to Woolwich, Spurs, Roma, or wherever to be cover is just a waste. He has the chance to stake his claim in his club's history which I think would be a shame to shrug off. I am a wee sentimental about it being a Yank. We just haven't seen this kind of success from our players in the EPL.

I would rather we try and mine out a 23-24 year old talent from the unknown who we can hone to our liking than pull Dempsey from Fulham.

If he goes to the Goons, then fuck me for being all sappy about it. He's just like all the rest.

Back
Top Bottom